How-To: PAIR removal for 5th Generation

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by jeffrozar, Aug 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I have a '98 and the main reason for me to pull the pair valves is that it eliminates the "pop" "pop" on decel, with my aftermarket pipe. The other plus is that it cleans up the engine compartment. -

- Another reason to do it is that if someone would dyno tune with using a PC3/5 or the Rapid bike module.... the pair valves will screw with air/fuel readings

https://vfrworld.com/threads/the-wa...r-plates-warning-pic-heavy.54488/#post-576215

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. Angus2001

Angus2001 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I live in Canada and have a 2001 in Silver. Just removed the pair and snorkel, replaced plugs and it has a Jardine RT-One pipe. Added the Givi D200S windscreen. My question is what do the vacum hoses 1-2-3-4 do? and can i just plug them. BTW the bikes runs smother and the throttle is better as well. Thank you for the detailed posting of the pair removal.

3. Yør

Yør New Member

United States
    Map
    I know this is an old thread but...
    Last night I removed the PAIR valve assembly and the Flapper valve from my 01.
    Plugged the open hoses and air box port and took it for a 18 mile ride...the difference is night and day.
    I know some reported little improvement after making these mods. Maybe I had a problem others didn't.
    My bike was sluggish off idle and coughed when I would gun it. I put up with
    poor performance for several years and now I have to get used to a bike that is "normal" :).
    Thank you to all that provided this info!

4. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Angus, the vac hoses are already plugged.... onto nipples molded into the airbox as holders. You use those hoses for a starter valve sync, and when done, plug them back onto the nipples for storage (plugged).

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
  6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
  7. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Is there any way to get these pics back on this thread? I'm hoping to tackle this and a few other things on the '98 and '00 soon, and the YouTubes has all kinds of conflicting information.

Snorkles have been done. I haven't done the flapper yet (trying to hunt down facts on that one too). Pair also gets rid of all of the unnecessary plumbing, right?

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I've done the Pair and it cleans up that.....planning on the snorkel and flapper this coming winter teardown.
    Check out my pair thread, link above..

9. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I tried the flapper deactivation and it did nothing for me or my VFR...made a bit more noise at low revs from the airbox but I couldn't detect any operational benefit. The flapper just closes one of two openings to the airbox below 5500rpm so it won't make any difference above those revs. The PAIR elimination makes good sense by getting rid of some unlovely tubing and solenoid.

10. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Real maintenance is all done on the '98 with just the PARI delete left. With some research, I see many saying it does nothing but make it more tidy and others have night and day experiences. i'll probably give it a go this weekend on the '98. The '00 has aftermarket slip on and an air filter, but nothing else. It does have the factory O2, cat, etc. I bought a spare kit. Is it okay to perform the PAIR on the '00? again...read a lot of mixed reviews.

Thanks all!

Tom Smithhisler likes this.
  11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Mixed reviews, either felt better or didn't notice a difference. I have never read about, or experienced, negative results. For me, if I am just getting rid of a bunch of un-needed clutter and shit, it's a win.

I think the difference in results has to do with if the units are failing or not. My ST1100 was bad, terrible decel popping on a stock bike. When I was done and took apart the units, the diagphrams were just goo. Bike ran SO MUCH better. And all that stupid plumbing was gone.

I don't own a bike that this shit has remained on. Buh-bye.

mello dude likes this.
  12. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks, Cap'n.

13. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Re: photo's not showing, If you click on "Reply" you can see them in the reply box,... kind of. The photos were hosted on Photo Bucket, and they have their logo covering up each of them. Yet, you can see most of what you need to see.

MiguelDK likes this.