How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Gave the lovely wife a breakdown of the age of VFR riders (majority being over 45) and she says, "Is that right....."

By the way, I loved the reply from the 23 yr old guy that is now wondering if he bought the wrong bike! That made me laugh out loud! Dude, you got the right bike! If a large amount of older / wiser guys have it, you are fine!

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    After years of driving, working on, and passion about imported sportscars (Italian and British mostly) i started riding on a 100cc 2-stroke streetbike in 1988 at age 44, then bought my first ( of about 7 over the years) VFR in 1990, then another...... and one more, etc.

stepping up from my '86s to a much better '97 was a good move even though it's a few pounds heavier.

now almost 66, i have no real age-related issues with riding a VFR, but i did need to sell my '92 ZX-7 cuz it hurt my neck and wrists.

i'm keeping a VTR 250 Interceptor in my stable to ride when i'm too discapacitated to handle the weight of a VFR any longer.........

riding and working on bikes helps keep me thinking, feeling, and acting younger than my years!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. grinder

grinder New Member

Old is older than you are and young is younger than you are. 52 years old so just right and my only regret about riding is I don't have enough to to do it more.

4. Spectre

Spectre New Member

I'll be turning 50 in January, and I'm in love my '07 VFR 800A (purchased as new), which now has over 10,000 miles on the odometer.

Here at VFRWorld, I've noticed that a number of members who are new to the VFR, as well as those who may be returning to a given iteration of the VFR following a long hiatus, may find the stock handlebars (as well as perhaps the foot pegs) to be too sport-like and uncomfortable, particularly on longer rides. Many of these riders opt for bar risers, etc. in order to achieve a more comfortable riding posture, which is of course an individual's choice.

I've found that I can comfortably ride upwards of 500 miles in a day on my VFR with its stock handlebars and foot pegs, but only after some other modifications were made, such as a Sargent seat; MCCruise electronic cruise control; MRA Vario windscreen; Race-Tech front and rear suspension, etc.

Equally important, I've also found (Duh!) that something as simple as finding the right riding gloves can make a huge improvement in terms of long-term hand and upper-extremity comfort. For example, after trying a lot of riding gloves, so far the finest and most comfortable I've found are AlpineStar's SP-2 leather gloves. In contrast, many other brands of riding gloves make the mistake of placing excessive padding (often gel-like pads) into the palms and fingers of their gloves, and the end result may be a feeling of anatomically incorrect lumpiness, which in turn may make one's hands and wrists ache like crazy. You'll soon recognize such gloves when you find that you can't stand wearing them after 50 miles, but at first you may mistakenly think that the handlebars and/or the handgrips are to blame!

5. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    I SOOOOO WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!

6. jackggrega

jackggrega New Member

United States
    Map
    That's interesting I'm 52 and never thought of a VFR as a young mans bike. It's cool that she thinks it is, but let's face it this is a more conservative bike. Comfortable, reliable, good ergos for the passenger. I find your wifes comment interesting although erroneous. You are never too old for a VFR.

WolfmanJack

7. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I am 60, got a new '08 VFR a year ago and have put 5k miles on it, with original seat and no bar risers. This is a great bike, I love it. I have been riding for 42 years and have been married for 38 years. My wife does not like bikes and won't ride with me, but we have worked things out and we have a great marriage. It is possible.

Ron

8. Rockytop

Rockytop New Member

52 y/o with a 07 VFR. Also ride a 05 Honda CRF250F Dirt bike.

9. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    57 but getting younger! Einstein says the faster you move time goes slower!

10. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

I hear that Ron, and my wife and I enjoy a wonderful marriage! :thumbsup:

My wife is just so not into motorcycles that she does not realize what she is looking at. She lumps this VFR into the group of sport bikes that the kids are doing 90+ MPH down the road in.

A kid that went to school with our son got a sport bike when he was 16. It was just a handful of weeks later, he had a high speed accident, ended up in a corn field paralyzed from the waste down.

11. V4-FAN

V4-FAN New Member

Map
    I'm 59 just bought 07 VFR in October. Added to stable of 4 other v-4's from 83 V-65 to 07 ST-1300 and 2 SuperMagnas. Was a little worried about position. Must admit that after about 4 hours I prefer the ST-1300. But up to then WOW!! Rode a Wide Glide for 4 years won't go back. Have put about 2500 miles on the VFR mostly trips up to 200 miles plus daily commutes. YOU ARE ONLY AS OLD AS YOU LET YOURSELF BE. And they are so cheap now so what.

12. V4-FAN

V4-FAN New Member

Map
    To Old?

59yeas old, bought 07 VFR in October. Added to other four v_4's from 83 V-65 to 07 ST-1300, with 2 supermagnas in the middle. Have ridden the vfr about 2800, miles longest trip 250 miles of mountains. Must confess that after about 3+ hours I prefer the ST, but till then WOW and no real problems. Last ride 4 hours long, found that cheap throttle lock ring gives my right arm and side relief on those dreaded straight aways. And as cheap as you can get them now why not?

IF YOU RIDE FAST ENOUGH EVERYTHING HAPPES BEHIND YOU

13. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    55 years old

14. monk69

monk69 New Member

I use to have a T-shirt in the late 60's "Candy's dandy but sex won't rot your teeth"........

15. APEXLVR

APEXLVR New Member

I'm 25, and just got my 2007 VFR...I'm just replying to try and show you the other side of the coin...

I've had people (read: squids/posers/wannabes) ask me what I'm doing on such a "big, heavy, slow" bike at my age...I thought I was having a reverse-midlife crisis as, usually, the first mods I would have looked at for a new bike are pipe/power commander/airbox. Now, at my ripe old age (ha!), I bought HeliBars straightaway and am looking at a Sargent seat and taller windshield, louder horn and brakelight modulator...

Well, those same people with the R6s and GSXRs only ride to "bike night" (for a total of less than 500 miles per year usually) to show off their new neons, and have NEVER been to the track. I used to do trackdays, and realized that is the only place for a RR bike...I like to put miles on my bike, see new places and go curvy-road hunting, and I want to be fresh enough when I get there to show those same squids how quick a "big, heavy, slow" bike can be when ridden properly...Don't get me wrong, I'll probably get a beat-up CBR for the track at some point, but the VFR can do 95% of what the RRs can do, on the street, and in comfort.

I personally think that age has nothing to do with choosing a VFR, common sense does...whether that means me coming to my senses early on and buying a bike I can actually USE on the street, or an older dude having the sense to realize that just because he's 40/50/60/70 he doesn't HAVE to go buy a cruiser or a 'Wing...

Sorry for the rant...I'm just getting sick of people criticizing my bike when they can't ride worth a darn. I'll step off of my soapbox and go pack my tankbag...I'm doing Tucson--->Prescott and back this weekend...

16. geronpg

geronpg New Member

I'm 53, had this (04) VFR over a year. A Sabre, CBX, and CB400f over the previous 31 years.
    Have to admit, though, that my back, wrists and reflexes are not what they were in my 20's and 30's, so I can't ride it to it's limits. Or maybe I'm just not riding enough.....

17. jimlowe

jimlowe New Member

63,been riding since 1963

18. Billygoat

Billygoat New Member

What was your first bike back then?

19. jimlowe

jimlowe New Member

ajs 250 single

20. Hammerspur

Hammerspur New Member

Map
    [​IMG]
    Been riding since before I was old enough for a driver's license, a little over 40 years.

Went bike-less for 12 years, bought my now much altered 2000 VN1500 almost 10 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Owned the original V45 in the 80's, a couple weeks back I added this '96 to the stable.
    [​IMG]

Planning many upgrades and alterations but for right now I'm having the time of my life on this little missile...
    WHAT a hoot! :vtr2: