How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    I'm in my early 40s and have an 08 VFR800... a buddy of mine is in his late 40s and has two Hayabusa's... the regular 1300 and a turbo. He is a wicked rider and can throw those machines around as if they were 250s. Age is a number and only you can set the limit. I personally don't want a crotch rocket and don't want a touring - so sport touring it is and the VFR fits that bill perfectly: comfort, reliability, looks and agility.

2. smedley

smedley New Member

I'll be 52 in October and I own a 2008 vfr800 and a 2013 Ninja 300. I've always thought of my 800 as my "grown-up" bike...

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Going back to the dude who got buried sitting on his Harley, for you dudes that have several bikes would you want to get planted on a VFR or some other bike?

One old guy I see once in awhile on his Harley is supposed to be 112 years old. He's not dead but he looks like shit.

4. flashsteve

flashsteve New Member

United States
    I am 66 and bought my first non-cruiser today, an '01 VFR. I was nervous that I couldn't handle it, but it was a piece of cake. Easy on the throttle, etc. and did a 200 mile twisty ride my first day after 20 years with zero moto miles. BUT, I managed to get a rock flung at me and punched a 1/2" hole in the fairing, which was pristine AARGH! Will have to go to another forum for advice on how to fix it.

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    All ways stay away from big trucks-what ever you drive or ride. the roads are exactly like Mad Max! A spike on top of head seems to help!

6. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    I'm 36 and have a 6th gen , But my buddy I ride with all the time is 50 years old and he rides like a 20 year old and has a 5th gen lol .

7. stratus17

stratus17 New Member

I am 63. Mine is a 2007 6th gen ABS. I ride it to work everyday.
    Now that I am over 60, I think 50's are not old and 40's are rather young.

8. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Bought mine new right after I turned 34. I'm 48 now and have no thoughts of changing rides.

9. DaveB123

DaveB123 New Member

I'm 45 and I bought my VFR800 (2009 w/ABS black/white) last year after a 15 year lapse. My first bike was a 1985 VF750F Interceptor!

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I think a vfr is great old mans bike, actually its a great bike for anyone except a new rider. I noticed its also great exercise and it seem to make me stronger pushing a 500+ pd bike around in the garage.

11. MooseLips

MooseLips New Member

United States
    Map
    72 last month. Rode a VF700C for 30 years, but it finally gave it up last summer. Got a '95 VFR750 and managed to get a couple hundred miles on before Snow Fall. Now fixing some plastic (unattended crash in the garage in December), installing a ZG screen and a new Corbin and should be out there in a week or so, scaring little old ladies and dogs, once again :)

Ed

12. net4unner

net4unner New Member

United States
    Map
    Mooselips, we who are about to ride, salute you! At 51, I'm looking forward to hundreds of thousands more riding miles. Keep those little old ladies running for cover.

13. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    So basically what everyone is saying is that no older guys rife VFR's.

14. Dannyl

Dannyl New Member

I just picked up an 05 last night and I'm 55. I sold off my 05 Concours 2 months ago because I was "retiring" from motorcycling AGAIN! lol
    Maybe it it was scheming plan my other personality cooked up up, but was grinnin' from ear to ear this PM even in the rain!
    One thing was obvious after 1 hour, I need to lower the pegs. I blew my knee out and had it fixed a year and a half ago and it's a little tender in the stock position.

I've been riding since I'm 16 and one of my oldest friends (she works at Honda HQ Canada) wasn't surprised I bought another bike right away. She said, and I quote, "it's what you do"

So I'll probably ride till I can't, age is not going to define me, it just might make me slow down a tad!

Oh I've had a gen 3 and 4 in the past too, while I like the 6th but the others were more comfy and I miss the gear whine......

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I think the vfr made my dick grow especially that sound coming from the 2 bros carbon can, and I may have to get a wife to test it out, I got a one in mind and she's a lot younger than me and has a good job too and she looks better then me:nelson::nelson::spider::whoops:

16. Nero Grande

Nero Grande New Member

Canada
    Ok so what does age have to do with riding the bike of your dreams? And what is old any way? Seriously, the universe is old but its mostly space and rocks - its not alive. If I do something that increases my sense of living and being alive is that a bad thing? I just bought my first VFR at 52 and my wife just went out and bought a full complement of riding gear and is studying for her license (she'll try it on our CBR125). Sometimes you just have to try to buck the current ageism paradigm and do what you feel you need to do. To hell with attitudes regarding youth and vitality. those things are manufactured ideals that are constructed to sell products to a demographic that quite frankly is dwindling in size and consumer clout. I ride my bike to the gym where I run five kilometers four times a week, I am finishing up a doctorate in business, I teach two nights a week and work full time on top. I`ve never felt more involved or alive and part of that equation is being an able and willing motorcycle rider. I like the involvement of riding over that of the sensation that I get from driving a car. My wife likes it too. If she thought it was some sort of midlife thing or that I was too old for the activity then she would be free not to participate of course. But that's not where we are at - thankfully.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Nero Grande

17. wrestler

wrestler New Member

United States
    Map
    Congratulations, Dannyl, on your acquisition. You might be interested to know that I did not buy my first bike until I was 60 (a 5th gen) and at 64 I got my 6th gen, an 05,winning red. I was glad to see you have resolved not to let age define you. I have targeted 70 for selling my bike but I am almost certain that 1.5 years from now I will change that. I will keep it until I can't ride it anymore. No matter how old I get, as soon as I sit on it, I feel like I'm 30. But I don't act nearly as foolishly as I did then. I like what Nero says,"life is a skid broadside in a cloud of smoke" LOL:glee:

18. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  19. gcarper

gcarper New Member

United States
    near Gaffney SC---40 miles from Blue Ridge Pkwy
    Map
    76 on May 1st, just acquired a 05 800abs. I have a CB1100 [2013] a 09 FZ1 which is on the block to pay for the VFR. Except for a couple on years when the AF sent me to remote sites, I've had a bike or 2 since age 16. Live in the upstate of SC, NC is one mile north of my home and go to the mountains at least once a week.

20. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    Chronological age is 41; mental age.. mid-late 20s :thumbsup:

@Nero Grande: Of course age is just a number... some people are old at 30, others are young at 76 (see gcarper)! I routinely lease my body to demons just to make sure everything still works the way it. should! Life is so short, I make the most of it, and thankfully the Universe has been brilliant to me for I can not complain one iota.