How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

So you have to be young to ride something with a fairing? I'd tell your wife to sod off.

I'm 34 BTW

2. winaje

winaje New Member

39, and tell her that you are only as old as (the woman) you feel, lol.

When we were courting I told my wife that I would be buying another bike sometime (was bikeless then) and that if she couldn't cope with that then we had no future... Now ride an '05, and wouldn't give it up for anything.

3. Billygoat

Billygoat New Member

43 & I just got an '06 VFR.

My wife's OK with it 'cause I let her do whatever she wants to the house. She's better at colours & furniture than me anyway.

4. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    61 and 3rd VFR
    Riding for 45 years.

5. blackjack_mike

blackjack_mike New Member

Map
    I'm 49 turning 50 in Feb. (yee gad)!
    Been riding for 33 years with numerous types of bikes. I love the VFR.
    Rode this weekend with a number of gentlemen on VFRs who were older than me and I had trouble keeping up! Age is not the limiting factor on owning or riding a bike. ENJOY!

6. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    I'm 49 and I've no doubt I'm in better shape than I was 25 years ago. I started riding when I was 14, my first bike was a Kaw KZ400 'commuter special', on which I put 10K miles by the time my seventeenth birthday rolled around. I figure I've got over 300K miles on motorcycles, conservatively. I'm on my fifth VF series Honda, starting with the inaugural 83 'ceptre, an 86 VF750 'ceptre, 85 VF500F, 91 VF750F, and most recently an 07 VFR800 (not to mention all the other non VF's). I'm also an avid 'pedaler', I have a couple mountain bikes and a road bike. Spent more time on them the last year than my motorized units.

My Dad, also an enthusiast, got me started in motorcycles. And I'll always remember his advice..."motorcycles are alot like baseball, what really counts is how many times you come home safely".

As for age...I suppose you lose some physical but the wisdom of experience more than makes up for it.

7. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    I'm 64 and by the time I turn 65, I hope to own a VFR. I have five bikes now and plan to weed them out to make room for the VFR.

I didn't start riding until I was 23 because my dad had a Whizzer and knew how dangerous motorcycles were. After college, I started riding dirt bikes. The guy I bought my first one told me "if you aren't falling off, you aren't havingt fun". I must have had a lot of fun!

After I switched to road bikes, I tried to quit falling down. I've only high sided on a street bike once and don't recommend it to anyone. Damn, that hurt.

I quit riding soon after my daughter was born and didn't start riding again until she was an adult. I'm trying to make up for lost time.

My wife used to ride with me, but she was diagnosed with MS about 15 years ago. She still encourages me to ride. I do temper my enthusiasm for fast corners because I am her caregiver.

Would I like to have a crotch rocket? Yes. I don't really need one though 'cause I can scare the crap out of myself on my '95 CB1000 with just shy of 100hp.

Yes, I tend to ramble on. 64 and still riding strong ....

8. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

WINAJE,

Where did you get that carbin fiber dash piece? I want one!!!!!!

9. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    A meager 40 here...

My wife, like many others here, hates my bike. She won't even sit on it while parked in the garage. But I guess she's A-OK, because she never has a negative comment. Of course there's the "be careful" and "call me when you get there", but I'm OK with that.

10. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

Reject the thought of...

Shakes 48 year old fist at suggestion of too old and VFR in the same thought……. Too old - That’s not American, that’s hateful, just downright hateful.

Rob a man of desire and will, select your head stone.

11. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yo Motorhead you are my kind of guy lmao - Alright!!!!!

I am a VFR rider and I am 53 years old. When I was 48 years old I converted to a Sport Tourer (I had previously rode jap crusiers). People accused me of having a mid-life crisis. I rode crusiers that were carburated with lousy rear drum brakes and sloppy handling along with non-adjustable forks and stock rear springs. A lot of older crusiers run spoke wheels which relegate you to running tubes - big difference if you are in the middle of nowhere and have a flat on a tubless tire you can plug versus a flat with a tubed tire lol. The crusiers I rode had a lack of horsepower and small gastanks (my 800cc Suzuki Intruder has a 3.2 gal tank). I still like crusiers and V-Twin engines, but the VFR is a better do everything bike. I feel safer riding because of the better suspension, bigger gastank, better brakes, much less vibration, and the VFR is a beautiful bike. I still like crusiers, but the VFR is still to me a better commuter/touring/Trackday motorcycle. I like having more than one bike and may end up with two VFRs and a F4i 600cc. I am single and live alone so I can have as many bikes I can afford and work on an engine in my living room if I want to. Any woman I date or care to be involved with can either accept me and my biker ways or leave me alone. Call me what you want but a good bike is harder to find than a woman (good women are a rariety but do exist - wish I knew where they are lol). Maybe taking your wife for a ride (if you want to) and showing her how much safer you are on a VFR (because of better brakes and suspension) than a crusier would help.

12. Raro

Raro New Member

Map
    Just turned 50 a few weeks back. Tell your wife to go back to her knitting and go for a ride!

13. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I thought I was doing good for 39... I am so being showed up here.

14. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    I am 58 and still wondering about this getting older stuff....

I gave up motorcycles when I got married. Our two children are grown adults now, and I bought a VFR

Wife: "You have to keep it somewhere else, I don't want the neighbours to see it"
    Wife: " What is it like riding?"
    Wife: "I passed my course"

I bought her first an Aprilia Scarabero, and a few hundred KMs into that she realised gear shifting is part of the experience so....

I gave her a Suzuki S40 Boulevard (650 single and one of the few bikes she could get her feet down flat on) for Valentines Day as a surprise.

Now we ride the backroads together.

Just took a lot of time and patience

John

15. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

I'm 51 years young and use the VFR to escape work. (instructor/consultant for Microsoft teaching Network engineers all week long!.....I need an escape!)
    Been riding for 38 years, dirt and street, and don't see quitting any time soon.
    By the way, my wife loves the VFR and enjoys the twisties on the back.
    ( she's 36 and keeps me young too)

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I wouldn't even get away with that!

17. basscat

basscat New Member

United States
    Map
    mature vfr riders

rexbaum,
    I'am 63 (64 next month) and I have a ST1300 and my 2005 Interceptor which
    I really love. I'am still learning how to really enjoy this bike but the more I ride it the more I like.

So, go ahead and enjoy what you like doing. We only get one shot.

basscat

18. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    How old is old.....?

Well......................What is the age when you concider old.
    In my dictionary if I can still get laid I am still young :thumbsup::biggrin:

19. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

42 on a 6th gen.... Next bike RSV4

20. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I dont worry too much about birthdays and shit......seems like others are waaay more worried about it for me, good, gives them something to do and leave me alone.

I've never had the appropriate car, house,bike, girlfriend, wife, whatever anyways regardless of my chronological age, dont' listen to right music, dont like the proper TV show or movies or books, didnt go to the right schools, you name it.

Whatever..................

There's all ways some excuse out there for the buzzkills of the world, if youre not "too old" it'll be something else, always is

Best thing about not being a kid anymore is the ability to say, Wow, I somehow managed to make it this far without the benefit of your opinion.

If there's any one thing that age gives you its this, the ability to unequivocally state:

Screw em :flip: