How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. steveb123

steveb123 New Member

hi mate im 53. your never to old to enjoy yourself

2. asp125

asp125 New Member

United States
    Map
    Will turn 52 this year, first VFR. Up till last year I rode a GSX-R600. Slowing down a little bit, but still on the lookout for a track bike. I know a friend who's 60+ and he has a VFR800 .. among his other bikes is a Ducati 996 for the track.

Who says old men can't have fun toys. As long as I can ride I will have a sport bike.

3. Bernieswanson

Bernieswanson New Member

United States
    Map
    I may be "older" but I refuse to grow up. I have nothing but Honda V-Fours since the first Interceptor came out in 1983. You whippersnappers may have been in diapers back then. I currently have an 1986 VFR and a 2007 VFR (both RWB) and a ST1300.

4. MadPuppy

MadPuppy New Member

Wow this thread has some wheels!
    I'm 42, for my 42nd B-day last year I bought the VFR1200F.
    Love this bike, sold my 1999 SV650 for it.
    I feel as young as I want to. Wife thinks I should get a cruiser, "bah that is for old guys" I say.

5. WetSpot

WetSpot New Member

Map
    I'm 38 so I guess I don't fit so well in this thread - having said that, my ex-supervisor and all round top bloke, Ronny, just picked up his 2nd Busa at 65, he also has a 1700 Vulcan and a VFR750...

6. JetJockey

JetJockey New Member

52 going on 53...I currently own & ride an 06 Honda CBR 600RR. It is the perfect bike for me. I'm looking into getting a VFR 800 to facilitate 2 up riding and some longer distance touring without giving up a real sport bike.

Riding is about focus & skill sets, not age. Enjoyment comes to any age with a ride well executed.

7. proverbio

proverbio New Member

United States
    Map
    40 this July and happily married to a very understanding spouse. :smile:

I'm on my second VFR. My first was a 4th gen and my current is a 6th. I've owned cruisers, sport bikes, and mopeds, but the VFR is my favorite. I commute at least 300 miles a week and hit the twisties on weekends. I used to have a Burgman (commuter) parked next to my R1; I got rid of those the day I rode my first VFR.

8. bzdang

bzdang New Member

49 in a few more weeks, been 24 for almost 25 years and starting to get good at it.

9. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Good Answer!

10. Dragon66

Dragon66 New Member

I'm 46 yoa and bought a brand new 1984 Interceptor VFR500R in 1984 while in the military at age 19. Four month ago I bought a 1986 VFR500F and luv the ride. Brought back those memories of driving on beach front roads with a fine bikini on the back of that bike. Also have a VTX1800R for long trips with the wife but FOR SURE LUV THE INTERCEPTOR SOLO,WILL NEVER SELL IT. Having the time of my life...keep riding Sir

11. realbtl

realbtl New Member

64 this coming December and just got my 02. Did a 460 mile overnighter to AB & BC on Tue and Wed and loved it.

When my wife first saw the red beauty she said "Is that a crotch rocket?" I had to explain to her that it was a gentleman's crotch rocket.

12. designeraccd

designeraccd New Member

Well now "old" is somewhat a state of mind, therefore I refuse to be so classified! However, in light of a botched left hip replacement I actually bought a clean, used 2005 Vespa 200L a couple of months back so all my left leg has to do is come along for the ride!

Fortunately a friend found my early 66th birthday present, from me to me: my "new" all but concours 91 VFR...just doesn't get any better than that! DFO :biggrin::biggrin:

13. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 56 and have been riding every year since I was 25. I may get older but riding never does!

14. 0 and 25

0 and 25 New Member

I just bought one this summer and I am 66. I wish it were a little faster though.

15. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh it's plenty fast, just have to get used to the tall gearing. Took me a little while to adapt to staying in a lower gear than accustomed to.

16. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

56 here. Sooooo, see most of you at Coco's for our senior breakfast. I'm the guy with the silver hair.:cool:

17. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 47 and the VFR is one of the best bikes I have owned (I have a 2000)! Just did a 420 mile day with some friends this past Monday and when we left at 7:30 am it was 32 degrees....friggin cold, lol.....but I had a blast! My wife just shakes her head, lol :smile:

18. xShadowrider

xShadowrider New Member

Love the Pearl White! I have an '06 purchased new in '08 and just turned 56K.

I will be 65 in February and just back from a solo tour of the Gaspe - about 3500 kms in 5 days. What a trip! What a bike!

19. dadsvfr

dadsvfr New Member

52 and still doing trackdays on my zx10.... the average age at the track must be 50.....so I still got a long way to go! I just picked up my Dads 84 vfr1000.... I find it very heavy and soft... think I may park it for 10 more year until I`m old enough....lol !

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I want to counter the notion that VFRs are an old man's bike with a different premiss. VFRs are the bike you gravitate to once you have been through all the other bikes. Yes, when you get to the VFR you will probably be considered mature. I am 53 years old and, like most of you, I have had a number of bikes. All of them were fun but most of them were either narrow focus or vintage rides of dubious build quality. I wanted a bike that is a keeper, a magic carpet to take me places like my old BMW R90. My criteria for a "keeper" bike is pretty simple. It had to be comfortable. It had to have power. It had to be reliable. It had to do everything from commuting to touring and it had to be fun when I got to where I was going. Let's not forget, it had to be affordable too. The VFR ticks all the boxes and then some. The VFR is the choice of the mature rider for good reason.