How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Well, I am 48 so it must be much older than that - I am guessing over 60, maybe 65?

2. AKT4

AKT4 New Member

Im 36, just bought an 09 with 4k miles on it from a honda dealer. the original owner brought it back because he couldnt ride it anymore. he is 85 YEARS OLD. bought it when he was 83.

so in my humble opinion 50 years old is well within acceptable age limits for a VFR. I guess as long as you are enjoying yourself and being safe, age doesnt matter.

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    your wife is pretty cool to let you shave her...

remember punctuation saves lives......

4. glassmaker

glassmaker New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 57 and bought my first bike (Hodaka 100B+) at 17. Picked up a '99 VFR in January as a companion - not replacement - for my '97 BMW R1100RT. Kind of the sporty side of "sport touring" as opposed to the Beemer's more "touring" side. To be honest I wasn't terribly fond of the Honda at first, as I found the BMW handles nearly as well in the fast twisties, was (is) way more comfortable on long rides, especially if they include a lot of highway, has a windscreen that actually works - and adjusts with the press of a button, gets better gas mileage, and has quite a bit more torque at low revs. Not to mention the difference in comfort for a passenger. But after fiddling with the VFR suspension to stiffen it up and balance it, and installing a set of convertibars to ease the stress on my back, neck, and wrists, the Viffer took on a whole new personality. Now I love it. It still finishes second to the BMW in torque and comfort, but those are tradeoffs I can live with. Being at opposite ends of the sport-touring spectrum, the two bikes compliment each other nicely. (Although let's face it, a stock VFR is only good for "touring" when compared to a full-on sport bike, and even then it is a helluva stretch.)

As fate would have it, just as I was getting the VFR set up decently and starting to fall in love with it, I popped a deer. Luckily, I didn't drop it and the only damage was to the headlight shell and fairing. I repaired the fairing using ABS cement (which worked nicely) and after fruitlessly hunting for a headlight on eBay for a couple of months, bit the bullet and bought a new one (for nearly $300 with shipping) from Ron Ayers. Predictably, a used headlight in good shape turned up on fleabay right after I ordered my new one, although it would have only saved me a few dollars over the one I bought, so I have no regrets.

"Deerslayer" has been back in action again for the last month or so and the more I ride "her" the more I like her. I still have some gripes, the most annoying being the stupidly shaped windscreen that does nothing but look cool - and cause all sorts of clearance problems if you want to mount higher bars. But the electric motor power delivery and the sound of the cam drive gears are sweet indeed, even to this old fart. :)

5. Onomea

Onomea New Member

I just made 54, today. I went looking for a second bike to ride while my VTR1000 was waiting
    for some mod to be added. I found my '87 VFR700 listed on C/L locally. I liked the smoothness
    and gear driven sound of the VFR. Also it was a change in quietness coming from the Two Bro.
    Carbons I have on the S/H. I find the VFR very relaxing and smooth for those times I need to.
    But I also miss the V-Twin pulse and rumble of the S/H. I have been mainely riding the VFR for
    the last months. I feel I got a pair that also compliment themselves.:)

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    All three of the above would benefit from a chance meeting with Bambi if y'all had a Ventura headlight protector.

7. glassmaker

glassmaker New Member

United States
    Map
    I think this would be a more effective headlight protector, at least where Bambi is concerned, if I can just figure out how to mount it.

Attached Files:

8. Badbilly

United States
    Most of us here use railguns.

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Is that your picture glassmaker..? You in the corp? Nice auto shot gun. Badbilly need one of those in LA to clear out the MS 13

10. oxfordsport

oxfordsport New Member

I just turned 62 and ride a 2000 VFR. And I RIDE it. I have some great country roads where I can enjoy the twisties and open it up a bit. My daughter started riding last year - she has an SV650 - which is a blast in itself - so I now have someone to ride with. My friends all got old years ago and I refuse to give in.

My wife is pretty tolerant - I now have close to a dozen bikes, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, projects, etc. It did take a lot of years before she'd let my daugter ride with me but the daughter eventually said - you can help me do this or I'll do in my own way.

My wife has received the question several times - who's bike is in the garage? When she says it's her husband they ask "How old is he?" She's used to it now.

11. oxfordsport

oxfordsport New Member

Old is a state of mind - not age. I'm 62 and if I were to give up my VFR it would be for more performance - not less. I may not do some of the crazy things i used to do but I still enjoy the sporting edge.

The goal of life is NOT to die with a perfect body. Better to slide in sideways and say "Holy shit - what a ride!"

12. glassmaker

glassmaker New Member

United States
    Map
    No, not me. A photo I grabbed off the internet.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Mounting one of those drum fed shotguns might be alright as long as ya get the right end.

14. roland

roland New Member

Well, I turned 73 last January and had a great day skiing here in northern NH. As the ski season ended, I got my motorcycles ready for the upcoming riding season. I have been riding a 1998 ST 1100A since I bought it in 1998. I really like this ride and although I'm not a ride king like many of you, I managed to put over 51000 miles on. The only complaint I have at this stage of riding is that the ST is quite top heavy and is getting more difficult to maneuver in the stopped position, particularly with my 155 pounds.

A couple years ago, my son, who lives in NC, told me he was getting rid of his 1998 VFR800FI, as it was just taking up garage space. He had hardly ridden it and had not at all in the previous 5 years. He sort of lamented that he probably would get next to nothing for it. That's when I said I might be interested in it. We worked out a deal and had the VFR shipped to my home. I replaced all the fluids, the tires, and had the bike checked out. The mechanic that worked on it was quite impressed, as he just returned from a test ride, with the overall condition of the bike and the fact it only had 4200 miles.

I proceeded to get Heli Bars for it as the factory is only about an hour from here. I met the owner and he did the conversion for me. What a top notch outfit! The Heli bars do make a difference for me. That's all I have done to it. The VFR rides quite well and I just love the acceleration after 6K or 7K rpm. It is admirable in the twisties we have here.

I now have about 7K miles and I can say that this bike is a really nice compliment to my ST1100A. When I tour, I take the 1100, however when I just want to get a ride in for relaxation sake, the VFR is it.

15. golfguy62

golfguy62 New Member

Geeez, you guys are barely old enough to vote. I am 70 and just purchased my third VFR. Have a R1150 RTL with 48,000 miles on it and it is definitely the bike of choice for long distance touring and when the temp is below 40 degrees. Fighting the bugs and strong headwinds is my main reason for not wanting to ride the VFR over 300-400 miles/day. Great bike, lots of fun.

16. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    :high5: golfguy62 & roland............good on you both! Hang in there, not many of us old timers left.

17. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I|'m 6'3" and have a Corbin on my 1995. I don't have any problems with my long legs on long rides. A major reason for that I believe is what I wear under my jeans, or full leathers. I wear Performance Under Gear long johns or similar type clothing which licks sweat away from the body. I find regular underwear gets soaked, rucks up and becomes uncomfortable. PUG or similar never gets soaked, stays cool, and makes a big difference.:biggrin:

18. jschade

jschade New Member

I am 95 years old .....snore....snore....snore......ohh, fell a sleep there for a minute. I have a 96 VFR and I only drive full throttle. And now all my hair is gone.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Best to have two changes of that special underwear always going out with the clean set. Mom is always right on matters like that.

20. Badbilly

United States
    YOUNG PUNK!

Mel Brooks: the 2000 year old man pt. 1 - YouTube