How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jdubb

jdubb New Member

Wow, I think I may have bought the wrong bike....I am 23. I guess I will have to trade it in this week and get an 1000cc Superbike to run it into a tree at 170 so that I can be statistically correct. Even as a young guy, I love my VFR and would not consider getting rid of it.

2. sparky750

sparky750 New Member

this summer my wife and i were resting on the cherohala (fantastic road b/n tn-nc) and a family from mn pulled over to chat. the dad, 75yo just got rid of his cbr1100xx and just got a mint vfr750 because he had hand surgery and weight on his hand was a bit much. he loved the vfr. the dude was 'fit as a fiddle'. the message....stay fit and ride!

3. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    You are wise beyond your years, grasshopper. :biggrin:

4. TankSlapper

TankSlapper New Member

United States
    Map
    I just turned 50, and have ridden and raced dirt bikes since I was a tike. I had a FZR600 back in the day, but got rid of it when my first son was born (wanted to be around to see him grow up). He is almost 20 now and I figured it was time. The VFR is the perfect ride for me.

You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding!

Have fun!

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 60 and been riding for about 45 years, had my first VFR in 1984 and really liked it. Sold it to buy an FJ1200 and now I have another VFR. And it's better than my first one. They are just flat a$$ great bikes!!

6. FLYNVFR

FLYNVFR New Member

Map
    Huh? What?

Yes, that of the Geeze. Rode to my first flight lessons on a 1971 Norton 750, used to say that was a little contradictory, riding the most dangerous vehicle to fly the safest vehicle. 58 this month, riding since 15, if you don't count the mini bike. First street bike, 64 305 Scrambler, first good street bike was a 68 CB350. Love the VFR, all my friends just shake there head and think I'm going to die on it, so what?. If I don't ride and the doctor says I have cancer I can say " Thank god I didn't ride that fucking Motorcycle"! Liking the new 1200 VFR, not as pretty as mine, but I have never bough soley on looks, and thank god my wife didn't either!

Randy
    :crazy:

7. relic rider

relic rider New Member

I'm 45 and ride all sizes of first gen v4s most are older than my riding buddies or close to it .You are only as old as you want to be and i'll be in my 30s forever.:smile:

8. tanrush

tanrush New Member

47 years old and love my VFR. It is the perfect bike for the guys who don't want a cruiser and want to ride around all day and still be able to go to work the next day.
    Yesterday, rode with a couple buddies my age with sport bikes for about 3 hours at the end of the ride they were both complaining about their backs feeling like they were on a torture rack, we all had fun, but my back was fine and I was still ready for some more.
    Tom

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    54. and have been riding for years and years. Since August 2006. Wife said she thought I would get a cruiser type bike. I said "I thought I was buying it". Age has nothing to do with this. The VFR is damned fun and comfortable to ride regardless of your age. But then I don't know what it is to ride when you are old yet. Nuff said.

BTW. How old is old anyways?

10. vfr=>

vfr=> New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been riding since I was 8 years old, and have had some kind of 2 wheel ride all of my life {except for a 2 year period of financial difficulty!} I am almost 55 years old, and enjoy riding as much now as I ever have, I just don't have to ride as fast to get the same thrills. Still, there is not a week that goes by when I don't roll on the throttle and see what triple digits feels like. When I get old, I don't know what I will ride...

11. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

(havent read the thread but it seems the perfect one)

While riding (think i was hauling my old gen2 at the time) i was talking with someone, he said that the VFR is the "gentleman's sport bike"

12. IA-Mike

IA-Mike New Member

I am 54. The VFR is my 3rd sport bike if you call a '97 CBR1100XX or a '99 Buell S3 sportbikes.

The furthest I've ridden it in a day is 550mi. but I prefer to keep it under 400. I didn't like the comfort of the Blackbird at all so I gave it to my son.

The Buell or my ST1300 I have no problem with700-800mi. days with a couple of 1,000mi. days thrown in.

I also ride a DR650 for off-road stuff.

One of these days I am going to grow up.

13. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

aged riders

Guys ,
    At ripe young age of 47 {in 97} I bought and slatherd money, lust, love all over a TL1000......kept it til the riding position was just nbearable for me....now I'm 58 I managed to acquire me a 99 VFR this past Summer and have clocked about 3k on it....I'm now due a set of tires....Pilot Powers for me.....I'm down to four bikes now......with winter coming on I'll have time to pull some services on my bikes.....VFR will get tires a coolant change {w Honda coolant} plugs,and filter check....may check the valves for fun....LOL My ST1300 is due oil and filter ....I've a great old GS850 I've had about 27 years.....just finished a rest on it....looks good for being 30.....it will also need some tires....B/Stone S-11 work great on it.....I have been involved in motorcycling as long as I can remember...riding street bikes at age 15.......old trumpet....on a dare then as often as I could......My VFR gives me the oportunity to ride a sport bike where my old TL was just too narrow focused......it was a fun beast but tore my back a new one every time I rode .....It has a new home ans a good owner not too far from me and we ride together now and then.....As long as I can get a leg over the seat I'll ride a sport bike....heres looking towards Spring 2010....I cant wait...I';; get my moto fix on sunny days or I'll fire up the ST......Its fun t osuprise folks when our lil crew pull up after a shore ride....2/3 bald and me n my greying hair....
    Love it
    Rod

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Getting older is inevitable - growing up is optional....

MD

15. monk69

monk69 New Member

I'll be old enough to be on medicare Feb(65).... got my 2nd VFR after putting 100k on my 99'.... I've had my 08' new since Mar and have put 17k on it so far....... I also don't care if people call it a crotch-rocket 'cause most people don't know any better(men or women)... When they learn to drive, then I'll consider their opinions on WHAT I ride... enjoy you VFR....

16. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Jdubb,

That is some funny stuff right there! "may have bought the wrong bike...."

:biggrin:

17. Entryleader

Entryleader New Member

Map
    I'm 37, and have 2 VFRs. Does that make some kind of mathematical logorithm that makes me older, or younger? I don't know if I should multiply or divide my age by the number of bikes I have.:confused:

And I can also attest to the extreme expense of having a bitter wife removal procedure. Mine cost about 90k, worth every penny.

It's an "overnighters only" policy at my house now.:biggrin:

Thanks to the brave souls who revealed their age. I feel like a young pup!

18. e cabrera

e cabrera New Member

38 And counting, my wife is besides me and she thinks we (VFRworld members) are young enough to keep riding,, Never is too older to ride a bike when we are young at heart ( young spirit), in her own words....................

19. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

I too have been riding for decades, and the wife knows it. She has on a FEW occasions gone for a ride with me (on a cruiser), but she was never able to get comfortable. After explaining that she has witnessed me come and go on the bike for a couple decades, she still felt as though she would be killed.

She has always been very supportive of my riding, she just really shocked me with the "too old" comment. I can't wait to hit her with some numbers in the morning.

Thanks for the replies guys! Just as I suspected. The VFR is what Honda intended it to be; the bike that will appeal to those that want an all around bike.

:thumbsup:

20. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    41 and I ride an 86....that ones more of a crotch rocket then the newer ones..... I love it..