How Fast is a 2006 vfr 800?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by druggrepp, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Civicblade

Civicblade New Member

The gen6's VTEC engine revs very freely but it lacks the low down torque of the large V-twins and high end surge of litre inline 4s.

I have to admit that for the same rider, it is impossible to outrun litre inline 4s with a VFR on the track. The good thing is, it is also pretty much not possible to highside the VFR on the track, power delivery is too linear even with the VTEC.

6 years back, coming from a 97CBR900, I was researching a sports tourer to replace the CBR. I test drove a 2000VFR (gen5) and I swear that I'm not going to touch another VFR again. The V4 engine has got no low end and staggers and lumps around below 4k rpm. Although the engine revs, it does not have the torque like the CBR9. With the CBR9, you can use the throttle to adjust the lean angles and changes to speed and lean can be accomplished easily. With the VFR, you have got to get it in 7k rpm to start having some torque effect.

Somehow some years later, after reading the many good reviews everywhere, I've decided to give the gen6 a try after laying off from open class sportsbike for some years and boy, the VFR was a different feel altogether. It must have been the experience away from sportsbike (TDM900, Varadero1K, TL1000S, Fazer1S, CB400, CB1300, BMWR11R) that taught me how to use the bike and engine better to enjoy the ride.

But I do stll find myself in a gear too high many times in mid corner and have to downshift to get the throttle to response to the lean angle. Getting the rev below 5k rpm in a corner is not advisable when you are leaning over on the gen6.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Getting the revs below 5000 RPM is pretty much inadvisable at any time . . . .

3. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Unless you went -2 on the rear sprocket for fuel savings in "No Traffic" commuting on the Fwy/Hwy.

4. Civicblade

Civicblade New Member

The VFR needs a 7th gear for the highways.

5. wheelywong

wheelywong New Member

Um isn't it just a small 800cc. Designed and built for longevity and reliability ???? It's a bike for sensible riders to ALWAYS get them to where they want to go in peace and comfort. It will have a good go if you want it too without too much fuss. I don't have much trouble keeping mine on the heels of my mates sports bikes on the road.
    It needs to lose a heap of weight to be any good at the track. But it's not a track bike. Next thing you will be wanting to fit knobbies on it and comlpaining it does not handle the dirt as well. Phffft. It is what it is and it does what it's meant to wonderfully. More than it's meant to really

6. Twitchy at times

Twitchy at times New Member

Map
    Exactly as I did...and yeah, now I'm looking to sell my ZX-14 in order to get back on a 5th gen.:der:

7. Civicblade

Civicblade New Member

Hi Wheelywong,

You are absolutely right.

I like the VFR just the way it is.

Come to think of it, the VFR1200F (Gen7) might be something very different from the gen6. I've not ridden the gen7 but on paper, the specifications and weight does seems to imply exactly that.

Does anyone here owns both and decides that both bikes serves different needs and intends to keep both gen6 and 7 alongside each other?

8. snowcrossmxz

snowcrossmxz New Member

For what it's worth on speed, my 06' with 2bros and a pc3 will pull consistence ultra low 12s in the 1/4 mile.

Like 12.002 to 12.235

9. ILuvtheMountains

ILuvtheMountains New Member

Map
    My first bike was a 600cc Sportbike (yes, I was a squid, but it taught me how to ride), and it was fast but the geometry of that bike had me sore every time I tried to ride more than 50 miles. I then went to a cruiser style and found myself wanting to ride like I was on a sport bike and the bike obviously inspired no confidence, but I was more comfortable after riding for 100 miles. Finally I have landed on a 6th gen and I feel that I have found the holy grail. The bike is comfortable, fast and predictable. If you keep the revs up in the twisties you can have ALOT of fun and go fast enough to get you in plenty of trouble with the men in blue. Around town you can get great mileage and still have power to pass anywhere on the tach. I'm not old (31) but getting to the age when I don't need to have an inline 4 screaming at 14k to get my heart going. I consider myself an experienced rider and this bike does everything I want it to. Sure the Viffer is heavy, but I don't feel it while I'm riding it, it feels very flickable with the right tires. The exhaust note is heavenly, especially with a good slip on and, as said before, it is one the best-looking sport tourers out there-Unique, striking, and excellent color options.

I'll stop my ranting and talk about speed... I have seen 125 on the speedo (around 112 with speedo error) and it didn't take long to get there. It might take a while to keep going to 150, but 115-120 is pretty easily to reach without too much open space.

Again, if you want to see 175, get a literbike or a 'busa and get ready to increase your insurance.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

fixt.

11. WingZer0

WingZer0 New Member

I luv my VFR even if he has no top speed....but with the right rpm/gear he still can accelerate with the 750s n 600s.....and still look cool with a pair of panniers :cool:

12. Sledrider

Sledrider New Member

Would it be possible to eliminate all but the Bird? When the mighty Busa or ZX14 taps out at 185mph shaking and vibrating the Bird 2003-2007 will be running smooth as glass........ lol

13. troutkiller

troutkiller New Member

Map
    the vtech is not the monster that most superbikes are. no one can argue that. but in the vtech's defense, the little motor has a lot of character. keep in mind that in the sportbike world motors with "character" usually means motors that break a lot. not so with the viffer. it does exactly what it was meant to do. and does it very well! my stock 07 rwb is no slouch either. i cruise too work at about 120 on an almost daily basis and she is as solid as can be. and smooth as butter at 150 (yeah, flat land isnt always boring). and yet, i can put my ole lady on the back and cruise all weekend. in fact, on poker runs she has me leave the dyna in the garage. she much prefers the ride and attitude of the viffer. simply put, i love my viffer. its the right bike for me. and the harley is up for sale or trade, we just dont ride it anymore. would rather have jet ski's.

but, if you wanna go fast... busa's are uncomfortable as a bike can get. dont really like going round corners, and lets be honest... like my mother in law, are ugly enough to make a train take a dirt road! but in a straight line.... me and a friend recently purchased an 06 for 5k. put another 1500 in it and then took turns on her till we both hit 200mph. sold the busa for 6500. never need to do that again! yall can have that shit

14. Sledrider

Sledrider New Member

The best I could find for a top speed that could be maintained on a VFR is 150 but lord help you if there is a small grade coming up. In regards to the Busa, in 1999 that bike posted an all out world record for box stock bikes at 194mph. The bikes after that model year got slower, not faster and 200mph was never attained nor did anyone from Suzuki come close. The advent of electronic engine controls took care of that to limit things to 185 registered but wait, the 2003 XX is not electronically controlled. I've got more RWHP than either of the ZX14 or Busa and I can't hit 200 in 4 timed tries. 198 is the best I can pull and that is technically wind aided. For years it was thought a 600cc class bike would never cross that barrier but wait again, that has now been achieved through the use of a hairdryer (turbo charger) and juice (nitrous). When you hit the quarter mile weight and horsepower mean everthing but not so in top end, you want that weight to hold the damg thing down and it has almost zero meaning in the end result. Gearing is everything to that top end and if you aren't just shy of the redline in 6th at the end of your mile run, fix it because you are losing speed. It's still fun trying to get there regardless of what it is. At present the XX holds the world record for a wheelie at 191 and all out endurance 10,500 miles in 7 consequitive days with a single 24 hour record of 1,750 miles, which was set by Dale Wison in the spring of 2007. The VFR800 is underpowered, so what? How often are you above 130mph? If your answer is not that often then hey, give the little engine that could a bit of help and drop that counter down 1. Here you will find a marked improvement......

[​IMG]

15. crev-dog

crev-dog New Member

Stock HP is closer to 110.. I think I read 107 somewhere.. where it shines is mid range 7000-10000 rpm.. VTEC.. I only wish the VTEC was available from like 4500 :) That would sure help with slower wheelies.. haha
    I find the bike fun and livable day to day with enough power for plenty of one wheel action, but I'm not a fan of the transition zone where it is thinking about switching to VTEC.. I think you have to decide to be over under that area 6200-6800 rpm..

The best I could get out of my 6th Gen (04) has been 241 kph.. which is slower than anything I've ever had:
    98 ZX6 - 250
    00 929 - 278
    00 GSXR 750 - 272
    01 GSXR 1000 - 260+ (didn't have it long enough)
    05 SV1000 - 250
    08 ZX6R - 270
    07 Daytona 675 - 266
    08 R6 - 260+
    04 VFR 800 - 241

But then again I didn't buy it for top end.. and the wife actually likes to sit on the back of it:
    [​IMG]

16. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag New Member

United States
    crev-dog: killer pic!! What's that bit of red semicircular thing where your wife's foot should be?

17. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    If you want something like the VFR (more or less) that has a lot more top end, the BMW K1300s is probably the closest. A 'busa will certainly fit the bill, but it's...well...a stupid bike that was designed around the concept of horsepower. The BMW is a hog like the 'busa, but it's probably a more comfortable hog. And i think it turns about 170-180 horsepower, so I have no doubt it will get well past 160 MPH.

*EDIT: I just realized how silly this thread is. You want a fast bike? FFS buy a new literbike, the kawasaki or the BMW. Go big or go home baby!

18. crev-dog

crev-dog New Member

Some of us want our cake and to eat it too :)

With that said.. there is a supercharger kit for the VFR 800 that pushes HP closer to 160.. no Idea about top end speed on a blown VFR..

Ya maybe one day Ill have the big Beamer.. or a Busa.. Ive ridden both and they are both nice but heavy!

19. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Aerodynamics also plays a huge roll in top end. At some point every vehicle will run into an aerodynamic wall at which point more power is absolutely useless. That vehicle will simply not go any faster. An interesting example of this is the lower cowl located in front of the rear tire on a Hayabusa. I can't remember which magazine test (Cycleworld?) stated that according to Suzuki's extensive testing, removing that resulted in a consistent 3-5 mph drop in top speed.

20. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    How fast ?? A classic question, but if you need to ask, you probably bought the wrong bike for you. :behindsofa: