How Do I Get This Out?!? Oil Control Orifice

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by mikernet, Apr 19, 2019.

1. mikernet

mikernet New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've been trying every which way to get this stupid thing out but I can't figure it out. EVERYTHING else is out of the TRAC fork lower end except for this. The Clymer manual simply says to "withdraw it" at this point. I know there's an o-ring on there which I presume is keeping it from popping right out but I have gone so far as to put needle nose vice grips on the damn thing and yanked as hard as I can and I can't get it out...

I would rather avoid baking the o-ring after paint so I would like to remove it but I guess I'll risk it for the biscuit if need be. The "oil control orifice" (ugh, who named this part, gross) is this part:

[​IMG]

It's what the adjustment knob for the TRAC system attaches to.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Im not at home, but look at the bottom of the fork right below that on that same boss. Anything there?

3. mikernet

mikernet New Member

Canada
    Map
    There was an allen bolt with a spring and ball that facilitates the notching turning action of the TRAC adjustment as you turn the knob but that has been removed.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Then it's just plain stuck it seems. I would soak it upside down for a while. And maybe introduce a little heat. Shoot.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That's a tough one, if you cook it, you fry it, if you reef on it, you wreck the whole part, and I know, that you can't get a new one. I looked over the parts fiche for the 1986 VF500F AC and it shows the TRAC assembly, and there's no circlips or anything internally...is the damper rod out of it? I'm not super familiar with these forks, but my guess is that the piston slides into an opening in the damper rod, and if you can't pull the damper rod, it might be stuck to it. Can you even spin it? I would be very careful.....don't wanna damage the head.

Just to confirm, is it part number 18, or 20 on this fiche?:

https://www.servicehonda.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c7671f870023420a3bc79/front-fork

Just read your post again, it's number 18, right? I don't think it just slips in, my guess is that it is screwed in to the fork lower...otherwise there is nothing to hold it in....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. mikernet

mikernet New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes part number 18. I can push it in until it is flush with the fork but I can’t pull it out and I’m scared to keep pushing it in further with more force because if it gets stuck inside that way I have no idea how I would pull it back out.

The only other thing left in the fork is the “cup” that the damper rod sits in, which appears to be stuck in place due to the oil control orifice.

7. mikernet

mikernet New Member

Canada
    Map
    I’m just going to bake it and hope for the best. If it messes up the o-ring inside then so be it. I’ll probably just permanently seal it up in the TRAC disabled position if that happens. Which way does the Allen bolt that holds the knob in place face to turn off the dive control?

One last question - which of these Allen bolts (pic attached) should be used on the bottom of the non-TRAC fork to hold the piston in place? I took apart two sets of forks to get the best parts from each of them and one of them had this funky bolt with a stem on the end of it that I don’t see referenced in any manuals.

I believe the weird stem bolt came out of the 86 bike and the normal one from the 84.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019