How did you hear about the VFR, and why did you chose it?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Molsan, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Mac

Mac New Member

An Old riding buddy dumped his vintage Shadow. In his refusing to remain bike-less, he bought a salvaged '97 VFR.
    After hearing so much about it, I asked him to let me take it for a ride. I still remember that big grin growing in my helmet at 10k rpms.
    Two weeks later, I traded my VTX1800F.
    I still miss that bike for two-up, but would not consider trading back.
    Sometimes, less is more.

Mac

2. brdbluz

brdbluz New Member

United States
    Map
    I wasn't even looking for a new bike. I was at my local Honda dealer back in 2001 enjoying a cup of free coffee when she caught my eye. Took her for a test ride and I was sold. Bought the bike the same day! Good thing my wife is so understanding!

3. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

hhaa..this is a good thread..Actually I had done the test ride, the credit thing and thought i had bought a 2006 sprint st in spring 06,...was on the way to the triumph dealership to pick it up, a 140 mile ride, with my kid, and he thought i should stop at a honda dealer on the way by and check the vfr..I really never even thought of a vfr before. usually drove naked bikes, I just had a thing for triples and wanted the sprint to replace the POS dl650 i was hating at the time. I was not gonna come back on that thing! so anyway we stop and they have a red 05..I jump on and it fits me perfect..then find out its a new 05 leftover and 4 grand cheaper than the sprint..well that did it and a hr later away i rode..right up the fraser r canyon on canada #1, and all its wiggles and i had a ball! Through a series of really bad decisions, I ended up selling it, but thankfully have a 00 in the shed again!

Never did get back to the triumph dealer..although funny it comes up, but heading there tomorrow to test ride a 08 sprint as shopping again and down to the same 2 bikes...!

4. t money

t money New Member

I wanted to move toward a less aggressive riding position from my Kawasaski Ninja 6x. I still wanted a sport or sport/touring bike. I was browsing a local dealers show room this last winter and saw the 2000 yellow VFR. I told myself that was the bike, I followed through a couple months later. Love it.

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Had a Kawasaki 440 and was ready for the next step, but I didn't want a really aggresive sportbike...and that's when a 93 pearl white one rolled up to the Sherwin-Williams store (envious KC?)

A little research and two months later I owned the 93.

BZ

6. osoamazin

osoamazin New Member

United States
    Map
    I used to be a Ninja Rider, first the '94 ZX6 which was stolen, then a '95 ZX6R which I got almost new in '96. I kept that one until I got married and then lost my job in '01 so I sold it. Fast forward to '07, I started looking for another bike and started researching the VFR. I remember riding with a friend who had a 4G when I had my ninja and I love the "small-block chevy rumble" but I wasn't convinced it would give me the performance I wanted until I test rode a couple that were for sale in the area. I thought, "hmm, I could get used to this and I need to slow down anyway".

Got my tax refund and pulled the trigger on a 5G that already had some mods down near Daytona. Took the bus down there and rode it home. The whole way down, I kept thinking, I hope I like this bike enough. Well, after riding 500 miles back home, through a torrential downpour I realized "Wow! My a$$ doesn't even feel sore!!!" I was hooked!

If that wasn't enough, I rode with some other guys on R1s, 954s and the like around town and kept up pretty respectably. This one is definately a winner!!

7. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Na. I like the red one's better.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

8. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    I got married and my wife likes to ride. I started looking for something that would afford us a little more comfort and still be fairly sporty (man was I surprised). Did a few websearches and the VFR kept popping up. So I started checking around to see if any dealers had one to see in person. First place I went they had the FJR and VFR sitting side-by-side. I had heard a lot of good about the FJR, but it just looked like a small boat sitting next to the VFR. The wife and I threw our legs over the VFR and that's just the beginning of this adventure. Two years later and I still love this bike.

9. scottyx42

scottyx42 New Member

Glenwood Springs, Co. (world's largest hot spring
    Started riding in '60. Scooters,vespas, etc. Had all of the British bikes, and all of the Japanese bikes of the late sixties/early seventies CB77, Kawi H1,H2 Honda 750-4 500-4 CBX Got married, kids, only had a used cx500, rode it with the kids, and when they got old enough, learned to ride that.
    Kids grown now, friend let me ride his 97 vfr, and I was a gone goose. Now have a 6th gen 02 vfr. Just found a vtr250 for the youngest at college, the oldest has a v-strom 1000. The girls have matching cbrs (repaint hot pink).

10. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    Nice write up and post... my long winded story will be on the way shortly. Good one man. :thumbsup:

11. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    i was walking through the dessert drinking only chimey, with out food and had a vfr vision.....the rest is a blur:thumbsup:

12. DGW

DGW New Member

I went to the local dealer to pickup a filter for my 1990 Ninja 750. I have had the bike since new and a sales guy came out and couldn't believe how clean it was. One thing lead to another and I ended up with a used 2004 VFR 800 ABS. The VFR was a really good replacement for the old Ninja.

13. jim-bob B

jim-bob B New Member

:biggrin:If you want to see something of the 2010 v-4, go to WWW. HONDA-V4. CO. UK.com.You might just be as impressed as I was. Thefull page ad entitled " AWAKEN YOUR SENSES", is in Britain*s SUPERBIKE magazine- page#19-enjoy. jim-bob B.

14. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    My father had a Magna and then a VFR. I rode the VFR bike for a brief period of time when I started riding in the early 90's, then progressed to a GSXR750.

After owning some cool bikes over the years, Im glad to be back on a Honda, a V4 Honda.

15. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Had a 95 CBR 900; loved it. Comfortable position, which the VFR is close to the same. Didn't need a lot of get up & go, that was for the younger days. Wanted something that could handle, and ever since I started riding I have always liked the single swing arm. It was just time, but I didn't want to give up the sport bike lines.

16. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I was at the track and could hear this awsome sound comming into the last turn onto the front strait - ahh the V-4 RC-30 what a bike and the single sided swingarm was the balls baby.
    From there the VFR was always on my wish list, then a few years back after not riding on the street a 6th gen for the right price presented it self to me and we have been together ever since.

17. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    It started with the Interceptor V45

I had an '81 Suzuki GS400, but really, really loved the 750 Interceptor when it came out. The local dealer (thanks, Carter Honda!) let me talk them into numerous test rides, but the reality was that I was a starving student and there was zero chance of buying. But I kept looking and stayed current with the VF, VFR and others.

Fast forward to 2008 and I wanted back into bikes in a big way. Thanks to a thriving business and an understanding wife, I was able to find a mint '03 VFR w/ABS (my only bike-related hospital trip was directly related to a locked front brake) with Leo Vince titanium exhaust and almost no miles on it.

True love.

18. eleman

eleman New Member

One of our newer firefighters rode his VFR in to Paramedic class at my station and I just kept checking it out while he was in class. I talked to him later and he told me it was for sale. I knew I was going to buy it right then but didn't know how.
    I ended up selling my 4 wheeler when I lost my hunting ground and bought a Katana but still wanted the VFR. I then sold my truck to my brother and bought the VFR. It's a 95 and had 58,000 miles when I got it but it had been taken care of very well. I have learned alot about VFRs and electrical systems. I love my bike and would like to have a 1200cc V four also.

19. MrDen

MrDen New Member

Waaaaay back (in 1978) I had a CB400F, which I had to sell in 1981 when I transferred overseas. I missed that little thing like crazy until 1986, when I bought a new 500 Interceptor. I rode that little jewel for about 12 years, and still miss it. I didn't ride at all for about 12 more years, until I decided it was time to get back out there. That's (Sep '08) when I bought Ruby, my red 07.:biggrin::thumbsup:

20. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    i was on craigslist a couple years ago just looking at bikes killing time when i came across a 1986 VF500 it was priced at 1700 at the time i didnt want another bike (had the ninja) but figured seeing how i am going that way just stop and take alook never seen a bike with that paint scheme got there and she was perfect just waiting to be rode so i talk to the guy which he finally came down to 1500 bucks i purchased it that day. Fun thing is i didnt even ride it for two weeks after bring it home, but finally got soem tags and insureance on the old girl and took it up ga-197 and had a blast all i had to do is think and it would turn, start doing research about the bike and came across this web site learned more about the bike then meet up with Jame Daugherty we talked over the phone i purchased his rear shock conversion and rear wheel swap after that there was no turning back, got say it has been the best bike i've own to date...cant wait to buy my next one :thumbsup: