Honda VFR 1200 - looks like it's gone for good!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, no doubt it will be someone with impeccable taste in motorcycles...

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    This is true as long as they are red, yellow or RWB.

3. Nagas

Nagas New Member

Looks like 2015 about to be released in australia

4. Veefer Madness

Veefer Madness New Member

Glad some of you dudes like your 1200's. I think they will be collectible like CBX's.

I just have no idea why Honda has not produced a 125 hp sub 500 lb V4 with TC and upscale suspension. They could've for less than they invested in the 1200. You just know a bike like that would obliterate the competition (unfortunately in a category that barely exists anymore).

Is there anybody riding an 800 VFR that has not wished it had more grunt and less weight?

5. Berliner5000

Berliner5000 New Member

I read your thread and havn´t been here for a while after my first VFR1200 vanished caused by an engine crush (I reported in this forum: only after 24.000 KM the engine was gone - BlowBy; after 4 month waiting of a positive feedback by HONDA I wrote to Honda-Japan complaining heavily.) One week after the arrival of my letter a new VFR1200 has been offered to me.
    Only after 6.400 KM and less than 12 monthes the failure occurred again and my trust in the Honda-quality has gone. Now back to zero I am waiting for the outcome of my warranty-case.
    Link to our german thread and photos which are self-explanatory: [​IMG]
    http://www.vfr-forum.com/index.php/Thread/2915-Kohleablagerungen-auf-den-Einlassventilen/
    Most of the VFR1200 drivers never look at the valves (from above via the airfilter)!
    Honda-technik wrote: This damage has been influenced by an extremly low RPM (less than 5.000 RPM). They recommended to drive the motor always above 5.000 RPM - LOL!
    I have a VFR800 and experienced the difference. In Germany Honda sold only 1.700 pcs. over the last 5 years - guess why?

- too heavy
    - more than some engine break downs
    - thursty

I like this VFR1200F but I lost my trust in it!
    Greetings from Germany,
    Hans-Martin

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  6. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    WOW! I have never seen that type of valve deposit before on a modern motorcycle.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Just read the other thread on the 1200 problems. Wow

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    So you've had 2 complete engine failures, Berliner?

You either have some really bad luck, or you're beating those bikes like a limp dick.

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Did you see his post in the other thread of a bunch of German guys with failure on their VFR forum?

10. rhodesda

rhodesda New Member

I looked at buying a new VFR800 (as I've owned 4 VFR's in the past) and was really disappointed in the lack of power in the new one hence I brought a 1200 which I'm liking alot. I think Honda have the look right with the 800, but need to up the HP

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't make me go and work for information. I form my opinions on a whim.

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    lol Snake.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    It seems to me that it should not be all that hard to bore, stroke higher compression, more aggressive cam an engine. A 1k V4 is what a lot of people (especially the sport bike community) has been screaming for from Honda. I thought once Aprillia did such a great job with the RSV4 that Honda as slow as they are sometimes, would have come out with one by now. Could have a Sport bike with a performance engine 1k around 18--190 hp and a detuned sport tour 1k in the 150+hp range.

14. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, my first thought is wondering why Honda would build an 800 or a 1000 when they have the CBR 600, 650, and 1000, so it doesn't seem to have a spot there. Seeing that there was no higher displacement bike since the Blackbird was dropped, they needed something to fill the void. If they had've gone for an 800, or a 1000, I think Honda must have thought that they would have been cannibalizing their own product by making them choose between their own models. I think the other issue is that the 600 is so strong on acceleration, power, and handling that it didn't seem to make sense to make a larger displacement bike that didn't have the performance of the 600 or the 1000.
    But when I look back in history, the earlier VFR's from the 90's were exactly that - right in the middle of the 600 and 1000 sportbike, and it was still a great bike in its own right. So yes, I agree that it could have had its place as a lighter middleweight, even if it was down on performance from the 1000 and the 600. The beauty of it was its light weight, sporty looks, good handling, and....versatility.
    So could they do it again? Yes, but, as it has been said, I think it would have to be done with significant care to meet the criteria of lightweight, sporty good looks, good handling, and versatility. Even a 6th gen on a diet, with re-worked bodywork would have done it.

15. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Pardon my ignorance....what's the ROW? Same as our RPM?
    Berliner5000 what are you riding now? Still waiting to hear back about your VFR? I thought you would be a staunch BMW supporter!

16. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Here's a test from 2010 that compares the VFR to the Triumph Sprint and the Kawasaki Concourse:
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/8188/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Sport-Touring-Shootout-V.aspx
    Of course, the Concourse and the Sprint have been updated since then, but the bike did seem to garner a lot of positive reviews from the start. More than anything, this review got me thinking about the balance of the bike between "sport" and "tourer." In this review, the bike seemed to fair a bit more sporty than the others, but not quite as "toury" as the others. And, as far as the market is concerned, I think everyone is right when they say that the market was demanding more of a sportbike/race platform than a touring platform. So, if you think of it as a spectrum, with sport on the left, and tour on the right, the Honda shifted just a little left of center (toward sport), but not far enough left of center. Sorry, I know we've been over this ground, but the presence of the review really drove home where this bike sits, and, from a market point of view, it just didn't shift far enough toward sport in appearance, weight, and possibly performance. For me, however, it has MORE than enough good looks and performance, and there's no issue with weight as far as I'm concerned.

17. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    It would be awesome with a 25th anniversary paint scheme! Perhaps a few bling items like Ohlins suspension, some special wheels and a hot exhaust system. That would be collectable..or maybe a set of oval pistons and a few more valves to push the output well over 200 hp.....it would be like, "Hey Remember Us" we do this better than anyone! Try to keep up eh....I dare ya..

18. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That type of bike would definitely motivate me to buy!

19. Berliner5000

Berliner5000 New Member

@JAYZONK: Sorry - my mistake. I meant "RPM".
    Hans-Martin

20. joost

joost New Member

United States
    Map
    i would NEVER go back. Jst got me a 2013 black, WHAT a MACHINE, i LOOOOVE it