Honda VFR 1200 - looks like it's gone for good!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    :congratulatory::congratulatory::congratulatory::congratulatory:
    Ever hear the story about the Corvette and the mouse that was stuck in a hole?

2. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Didn't the VFR1200 have a questionable range for a "touring" bike?

3. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I hear people talking about this all of the time. In Canada-speak (eh!), the VFR holds 19 liters (5 gal), while the FJR holds 25 liters(6.6 gal). To me, the extra 1.6 gallons isn't a big deal, because I always generally need to stop for a break before the tank runs out anyway. You are going to get at least 150 miles before you have to start looking for fuel, so I really don't see the concern - this is 2 and a half hours in the saddle, and I presume most riders would be needing a stretch anyway. I guess if you were making a run for Alaska, you might find the range a tad short, or right across some absolute void in one of your [beautiful!] deserts, but I really can't see that it's a problem for most riders.
    These are pretty conservative numbers - you'll hear varying reports about the range of the bike, and I've kept my numbers very conservative.
    With the FJR, you have a bit more range, but I'm not sure of the mileage it makes. Can anyone comment?
    But I wouldn't do any comparisons over fuel range with any other bike, unless you're planning to do some real crazy distance riding, in which case you'd probably leave the sport tourers out of the mix completely. Timmins to Sudbury is 180 miles. Even though you've got lots of stops in between, I bet you'd make it without stopping, no problem at all.

4. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Yep...about 10 hours "north" of you! I have good friends in London, St. Thomas, Waterloo and Hamilton that I keep meaning to get out and see. This might be the summer...maybe a Ti-Cats game!

All good points about the bike. I never had anything bad to say about the machine and if my Minister of Finance (wife) would have approved, I just may have purchased one in 2011. I guess the fuel range argument might stem from the expectations some riders had during the rumour stage of the 1200.

I'm over getting anything new, newer or different for the next while now. I really like my 98 and I'm eyeing a new truck...cheers!

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    No I haven't. Please continue. Keep in mind that someone will supply the punch line before you finish telling the joke.

6. motorn

motorn New Member

I live in Selkirk,if you ever what to ride,shout me a pm. Had a friend that I used to snowmobile with lived in your area

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Will do ... wow, you're super close to where I am.

I'm thinking about doing a trip down to BlackHills/Badlands as well. I'll PM you sometime.

I'd love to see your VFR1200

8. motorn

motorn New Member

Some friends are going to Thunder Bay Ontario in July if your interested. We haven't confirmed dates yet,but everyone is welcome.

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, I'd definitely be down with that as long as I don't have anything conflicting. Canadian or US route?

10. motorn

motorn New Member

We're thinking Cdn. Go to Dryden,then Thunder Bay. Down to Fort Francis, Kenora and home.I'll let you know the dates when we decide.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sound good, both routes are nice rides in any type of vehicle.

12. rhodesda

rhodesda New Member

I've just brought a new VFR12 (came from a Blackbird) and I think it's a great bike. I think people should stop listening to peoples comments who do a short test ride and put the bike down. Get on one and do a decent ride and give the bike a chance to impress, because it will !!! I ride with a bunch of Ducati riders who have ridden my bike at different times and not one of them put it down, in fact a few of them came away very impressed..... My two cents worth

13. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I think that's a real fair comment. Thanks for posting it. I personally really enjoy mine, and after being at the bike show, I cannot see much of a reason to start investigating a replacement.

14. Bas

Bas New Member

I was impressed with it too, until I bumped into the quirks of the computer-programming it contains.
    After flashing it with a new program the bike IS very good and I don't want something else.
    I wanted to sell it after 1 month of riding, you will find the quirks soon enough.
    On a normal road you won't notice them, but doing 50km/h (or less), roundabouts or steep corners, you will find them.

15. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Went in to my local Honda/Yamaha/Suzi dealer today to check out the bikes. They had a 2015 FJR on the floor in silver. It looks alright, but is very reminiscent of the last generation of bike. It looks long and low, and I'm wondering if there's cornering clearance issues with the pipes, as they seem pretty close to the ground as well. I'd have to say, though, that I didn't really get enough of a spark to want to trade the VFR on it. Came home and realized that I made a good choice! Even if the VFR was still available, I'd probably choose it over this bike, but I'd want to ride it first to confirm. VFR definitely more sporty. FJR definitely more "toury".

16. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    They have a brand new 2012 VFR1200 on the floor at the dealer discounted to $9999. I walk by it and my mind does mental gymnastics thinking of what I could sell and what I could finance and I still come up short. It is a beautiful bike but my Y2K is paid for.

17. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    That is an absolutely stellar price. I cannot believe it's still sitting there. Is it a DCT? What color? At that price, I'd quit comparing sport tourers and rush for my wallet. Who could justify an additional $5000 for an FJR at that price?

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    It looks like this. It's not DCT.

15-Mar-8-VFR1200.jpg

19. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nice. Wow, new sport tour bike. Forty per cent off, but no takers. Weird.

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    It has been cold and raining. Let the sun come out and it will be gone. People are funny about when they buy bikes.