Honda to make a new road going v4

Discussion in 'VFR in the News' started by Thumbs, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    With a bit of luck, it will look something like this modified VFR.

VFR-800-RR-Bioblade.jpg

2. NormK

NormK New Member

I'm old enough to remember that everything the Jappanese did once was copy everything, just made it a bit better and stopped the oil leaks that were common in cars and bikes in the sixties. They didn't need a big design department, the designs were all done by other countries, all they had to do was spend a bit of R&D money on improving the design. Very similar to China these days, I don't think they design too much, they just mass produce what other countries have tooled them up to manufacture using cheap labor. Japs did the same thing back in the sixties, I remember seeing many products from Japan when I was young "Made in USA" see no dots between the letters, apparently they named some place in Japan, USA

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm not old enough to remember that Harleys have been leaking oil since aboot 1901.

Gotta go with Norm on the design thing. Many of the early Japanese made bikes and cars, shall we say, took a bit of getting used to. HD sold tooling to the Japanese in the 1920s. Ford did the same. Where design comes from in today's market is a guessing game. Likely from the dudes that copied noodles from the Chinese and Japanese a couple of years earlier.

The endpoint in this "I have to have" sitrep may be bikes that will have to be dealer serviced.

One fine day following a dark and stormy night BB was on the BMW in the area of Snoqualmie Falls. One bank was running rough. I pulled over and one Bing was leaking. Adequate room under the seat for tools on a BMW and a quick teardown showed a tiny hole in the diaphragm. Fixed it with small section of tire patch until I could get back to the barn for a permanent solution.

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Same here, when they released the VFR1200 bike several years ago I was a bit disappointed and you would think they'd learn from the mistake but no even their latest V4 is basically a newer version of the 6th Gen. I do like my 5th gen but when it eventually goes to that junk pile in the sky I'll be looking at a ducati 1098. From what I've read Ducati has made some improvements on the reliability and plus it's just damn exciting to ride a 1098!

5. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/usa.asp

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe.. but, let us not forget the reason why the Duc 916 was so successful. ie, NR750. Ducati took the design where Honda didn't and ran with it, the rest is history.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map

I would not buy the Duc. I know several people that have them.m Sure they are absolutely beautiful and fast but having to deal with the problems......... One guy I know racing it last year in Sweden had several pages of things to say about it after that rough year. I think the Honda while similar to the stressed engine member as part of the frame is like the Duc it will be very different and more comfortable to ride. Go to the track and flog the Duc and then an 08 platform CBR. You would think with all that power, electronics, Brembo shiny parts ect that the Duc would kill it but for MOST mortals the CBR would get better times with a lot less drama. Much more forgiving and easier to ride. Not the super hot model but the pretty girl next door..... that really is fun.

8. NormK

NormK New Member

Billy, not a chance in hell you could do that on a Japper, take you a week to get the carbs off without a big tool kit

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I can yank the carbs off my Yamaha RD 350 in about 5 minutes. lol

10. Badbilly

United States
    LOL!!

Truth be told, the Bings went bye-bye and were replaced with 40mm Mikuni flat slides. I had the 34mm Mikuni off the SR once when it got a ported head and the 90mm piston. That was in aboot 1985. It still starts even when cold with Just a few kicks.

I could say one kick but some of you dudes know better...;)

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Two strokes rule.....

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes they do! But they should come with a 6 pack of pistons. Lol

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Has anyone heard of the direct injection two-stroke that was floating around a few years ago? Supposedly had unbelievable horsepower, smoothness and great gas mileage.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    trick is don't lean em out to much .. love my 72 H2 kawasaki, that thing rocketed. wing ding ding ding, nothing like the sound of a 2 stoke on the pipe. another lost music.

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Going back and forth between a four stroke and two was always a challenge. What?!, No engine braking! A few times I was surprised when I down shifted my 250 and all that happened was my engine revved higher! Down hills were always a bit more tricky. Fun as hell and definitely a great sound though. Hollywood still uses the two stroke sound as a sound effect in the movies. It's funny when you see a known four stroke sound like and old MX bike ripping it down the highway. I think CHiPs was really guilty of using it.

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Considering everything these days is FI......................When you own old junk, you get good at fixing it

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I had a H2........ For about a month. That was the most frightening bike I ever owned. The motor with a nice set of chambers........nasty shit. But the brakes and handling were " holy crap this sucks"! Traded it for a KZ 10000 with a black Kerker header. That is a sweet distinctive sound too.

18. Badbilly

United States
    This brings up a question. When you're on the rag do you prefer the standard sanitary napkins or the insertable type?

19. Badbilly

United States
    I wonder if any outfit here in the US puts a "Made in Japan" label on their stuff? Might be a great thing for Harley to sell a few bikes on places like VFRworld.

20. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map