Help! - Trottle Hand Getting Sore/Numb

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by CowtownNub, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Craig in Alabama

Craig in Alabama New Member

Also, make sure your clutch and brake levers are properly adjusted for your riding position. The levers should be rotated so that your arm, wrist and hand form a straight line when your fingers are on the levers. A lot of bikes come out of the dealer with the levers adjusted parrallel to the ground, which can make your wrist bend upwards and cause this type of symptom. It's one of the first things I do with a new bike.

Cheers!

Craig:smile:

2. asfltdncr

asfltdncr New Member

Hand Issues

I did put risers on mine and found I still had some hand problems.I have since started gripping the tank with my knees when slowing or coming to a stop and I believe that it has helped me.

3. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    + 1Jason Smith...

Loosen your grip.. Also try to use your index finger and your middle finger to operate the clutch and brake. This leaves your Ring and Pinky finger the to hold onto the grip. This will also act to rock your rand slightly reducing pressure.

4. monk69

monk69 New Member

If you haven't had problems with your hands before you started riding than you shouldn't be concerned with that part of it.
    1- You do need to move the bars closer to the tank, enough that you should feel the grip more on the palm pad below your little finger across from the same area under your thumb(but you don't want to go to far in that direction either)play with it til it feels comfortable.
    2- Get a "ThrottleBoss", it allows your palm the help hold the throttle open so as not to have to grip hard.(adjust the Boss so it will point up about 5ยบ more than flat when throttle is closed)
    3- Arch the small of your back so you aren't putting any weight "At all" on the bars, arms should always be loose. The only time you put pressure on the bars is when you are steering, if you're leaning on the bars you're giving unwanted steering imput.
    4- If you can't stay off the bars, then you might want to get some risers.

5. SuperDougio

SuperDougio New Member

I had the same problem on getting back on a fuel injected bike after a 15yr absence from carb bikes. I got the following advice, which doesn't work immediately but takes a little practice. You don't need throttle rockers, new handlebars, seat, glucosamine, or whatever. The problem is caused by simply putting too much weight on your hands, which compresses the soft tissue and nerves in the palm (like when your leg goes to sleep). The answer is a combination of 1) gripping the tank with your knees and relaxing your shoulders and elbows so that your weight is held up by your lower back plus your belly resting on the back of the tank, 2) gripping the throttle with your FINGERS not the palm of your hand so that you roll the throttle instead of twisting it. It takes a bit of practice, and more important, conscious thought and focus initially to keep actively relaxing your arms and taking the weight off your hands. But it works. And the payoff is a more relaxed and poised riding position altogether, not just hands you can feel. Good luck!

6. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    :eek: I didn't know you played golf, mex...

We're gonna have to go play sometime!:drinkers:

7. Packman

Packman New Member

I am utterly amazed that everyone thus far has only pointed out rider error. Could the problem perhaps run a bit deeper? The very first thing I would check is your Head bearings, as I have recently been having the same problem with my bike of my throttle hand going numb. Ive been riding for only 2 years and the vfr for 1 and have never had a problem with hand pain or discomfort then recently I noticed my throttle hand going numb on longer rides. At the advice of a friend I lifted the front end of the bike off the ground and rotated the steering, sure enough the head bearings are shot, there is a definite notch in the steering. The reason this affects to throttle hand greater than the clutch hand I assume is because the throttle slide is a loose sliding piece not solidly mounted to the bars thus any vibes from bad head bearings will be amplified thus. I could be wrong about your situation but I know once I replaced mine the problem was instantly better. CHECK YOUR HEAD BEARINGS!! Its a 50$ fix if you have the tools and know how.

8. asfltdncr

asfltdncr New Member

Numbness

Use your stomach muscles and squeeze the gas tank with your knees when your slowing down or going down hills.

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Get a throttle lock. Not only will it help prevent pain in your hand but will allow you to masterbate while riding.

Rollin

10. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    Fingers covering the brake lever

I've begun riding with my index and middle fingers hovering over the brake lever and have noticed that my hand goes numb after maybe 30 min., whereas before that would never happen. Covering the lever does result in me gripping the bar tighter with the other fingers so that may be the cause. How do any you brake-lever-hoverers avoid the numbness?

FYI: covering the brake lever full-time feels so much safer. I suggest it for those of you who don't do it.

11. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Maryville, TN (six miles from the dragon)
    but I look funny with my mouth around the handlebars :biggrin:

12. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Everyone has mentioned beginners grip etc and nerve and blood flow which I agree with. Numbness especially the end of the fingers/thumb and whole of the hand is usually caused by lack of bloodflow to the nerves of the hand . This can be caused by maintaining a fixed position for a length of time. I often see people with numbness in their hands at night and it is often caused by tightness in pec minor muscle. This is the muscle that blood flow runs through to go to your arm and hand. It runs from your ribs at the front to your shoulder at the front. As a long term cure/prevention the best thing to do is massage &/or stretch it out (preferably not at 100). This can be done in a door way. These muscles get activated by having your hands in-front of you and if they are already tight they can be easily aggravated. The right hand side is mostly the dominant and more developed muscle (usually the tightest as well) and the throttle arm is doing the most work. This wont be the only answer for everyones woes but hope it helps. Next week we will work on your hammies!

13. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    try a set of Grip Puppies! I had the same symptoms and not much help with all the changes to riding position etc. Bought a set of Grip Puppies and problem fixed immediately! Now full days on the bike are a breeze - no numbness. I have large hands and the size of the stock grips was too small, forcing my hands to grip more than needed. Google Grip puppies and order. They are about $10 USD.

14. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    :thumbsup: They are a bit ugly, but very effective.

15. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    You betcha, but not so good looking beats numb hands all day! Of course, if you look at them after a few beers late at night they get much better looking.......:biggrin:

16. mrich12000

mrich12000 New Member

Map
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Three days ago I posted a similar comment in a thread. I got advice similar to some here. Different riding posture prompted my to grip hard with stiff arms.

I put the bike on the center stand before my second ride and took a seat. I put my feet on the pegs and pretended I was riding. While seated, I concentrated on supporting myself with my back (not my arms) and keeping a loose grip on the bars.

I left the garage and did a 120 mile ride. I was very comfortable and able to control the bike very well with the new relaxed posture.

Practice on the center stand. Believe me, it works!

:thumbsup: