Help on VFR Purchase 3rd Gen?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by VFRNoob7, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Yes you'll need to take off the right rear fairing piece. In order to do this you'll have to undo the two main fairing bolts that hold it on from the side and you'll also need to remove the screws that attach to the turn signal / tail light. You also need remove a few bolts/screws near the tail light that are only accessible underneath the seat. If you are having any issues removing it stop right away and let me know and I'll try to snap some pics for you. Also remember that you have a turn signal in your right rear tail lens so don't forget to disconnect it before you pull the piece away. Remember that plastic is fragile and you don't want to break it so don't be in a hurry.

Rollin

2. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Hey Rolling I would take all the pics you are willing to provide! :) Still waiting for it to show up in mail.

3. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

So what is the best way of going about finding a fairing for these bikes. My left cowl where the turn signal is, is scraped where original owner bumped a brick wall with it. Bike is mint except for this panel. Does anybody actually stock them or do you have to look used market?

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You cant get body panels for this bike anymore except used off Ebay me believes. I did buy a center rear cowl (tail-section) from my local honda dealer, it was a dead on with the paint match.

Far as gaining access to R/R on right side of bike, drill goes like this: get your 5mm t-handle and remove that nice looking allen head bolt 2. Take off your seat 3. remove your Frankenstein bolt 4.take your trusty #2 screwdriver and un-due the phillips under the seat near your arse, as well as the phillips near your license plate. 5. you MUST unscrew your blinker assembly from the side fairing, just leave it hang with your bulb and shite. Its a typical rubber blinker think, quarter of a turn and its done...BE CAREfuLE when you remove the tail section from the center cowl as they have locating tits that you dont wana break! Go slow and you should be OK ....

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Yeh I forgot there is a big plastic tit that locates the side section once you remove that big allen bolt. Just PULL basically...There are some 12mm bolts that hold your grab rail on too, you have to remove these, go slow as you can easily break those loops with them 0-rings.

If you take that panel to a proper painter they can fix it and re-spray it!

6. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

I have the worst luck I guess. Drove the bike to go get gas about a mile from my place and notice that the other fairing now is cracked on front like an 2in x 2in spot. So I dont know if a rock hit it or what. So much for having nice body work on my bike.

Guess I have to find a place that can lay fiberglass and paint.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Pics will have to wait until tomorrow since I am staying at my parents house tonight. BTW.....Most 3rd Gen bodywork is so old and fragile that it will crack if you simply look at it the wrong way. :tongue:

Rollin

8. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Ya just disappointed I guess bike was pretty mint. Better when I can blame myself for dropping the bike then glance and see a broken panel lol! Where is that place that makes the brand new panels? I thought I bookmarked it I guess not.

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Thurn Motorsports in Germany is your best bet as far as fit and quality

Thurn Motorsports Link

Airtech Streamlining also makes aftermarket fairings but they are subpar quality and sold unfinished without mounting holes.

Airtech Streamlining Link

Rollin

10. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Heres a picture of the damage must have been a rock I guess. It hit it so hard it broke the mounting tab off. I am thinking of just using epoxy to fix the tab that came off. Guess it will take a body shop to fix the rest.

Seems that German site only has the upper not the mid fairings. Or are they building it all as one piece?

[​IMG]

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The left and right uppers are sold together as one piece and each side fairing (mid + lower) is also sold as 1 piece. I also remember they look slightly different from OEM fairings. Sorry for the misfortune. Your only other option will be Ebay and they don't come up very often and when they do they aren't cheap.

Rollin

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  12. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Think I am going to try and sand it down and fiberglass it. It is just that small spot so hopefully I can get it fixed that way. I will just have a body shop respray it.

13. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Well I got the mounting tab back on. But have tape on the fairing so I can still ride the bike. I have looked at plastic welding and fiber-glassing not sure which route to follow. :frown:

14. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    IMO, you need both. Plastic welding prevents it from spreading and gives it the most solid joint possible. The fiberglass smoothed the surface while providing additional support. Use chemical fixes and it will cause problems for plastic welding later.

15. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Well so much for the R/R being direct replacement. The bottom screw that comes back through the frame isnt long enough to put the nut back on and the top screw is too short? Do you guys just get a longer top screw and forget about the bottom? Looks like I have to take the entire black plastic tray under the seat off to get at that lower screw in the frame. Any help?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]