Help on VFR Purchase 3rd Gen?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by VFRNoob7, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I remember yah posting a craigs list picture of that bike yah tink!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice looking 3rd gen Pilot road 3 is great choice

3. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Ya thanks Tink.

Ya I hate when the triple tree gets scuffed its always like so obvious when you are riding lol! Love the faster stupid sticker lol!

I think I am going to leave the bike as close to stock as possible. I just love the way they are factory. The PO actually had the rear tail lights wired with the break lights with OEM parts. So when you step on the brake you get all four and I dont mind with the crazy traffic around here.

Love the third gens they are my favorite VFR as far as looks. Hope to get more seat time with this series of bikes.

Also looks like I need to throw on some front brake pads aswell.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    some braided brake lines will make you happy, I usually do that mod right away. Got the braided clutch line a few years ago, as someone was telling me about old ones bursting...

Thanks, I kinda stole that stickers saying from someone I used to know up in NJ, they had it plastered on their tachometer...I do give the devil his due, when it needs to be done.

Had the thing you described on one of my Nighthawks. It was from Sound Off Industry and it would link your amber turn signals into brake lights when you touched either foot or hand brake. It didnt last and went thermal, (when it got hot it would stop working.) Your new bike will last you a long, long time. Enjoy the ride, I love mine and steal glances at it every single time I walk into my garage, She is still a FOX to me...Cheers

5. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Nice looking white 3rd gen, one of the classic VFR's I want in the garage someday. Welcome! :thumb:

6. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Is this the Oil Drain plug under the right side? Going to change the oil. Any you guys recommend? My local place carries Honda Motorcycle Racing oils that's what I usually use.

[​IMG]

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Asking what the best oil to use is like asking a group of woman which shampoo is best. There are plenty of great choices and you'll get a wide range of opinions. Mobil 1, Motul, and Amsoil is good but expensive. Shell Rotella T is also another popular choice that is very affordable and works well and is available in both synthetic and non synthetic. Just stay away from any oil labeled as "energy conserving" since they can cause the clutch to slip. I personally run Shell Rotella T full synthetic in my 6th Gen and Castrol Actevo semi-synthetic in my 3rd Gen and only use Purolator filters. Heavier weight oils should be avoided during cooler months.

Rollin

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I like the stuff that's a shampoo and conditioner all in one.

9. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I like the stuff that is made from real dinosaurs...

10. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Thanks guys. Can someone confirm that's the drain plug?

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Yes that is the oil drain plug. Remember that it is recommended to change the crush washer beneath the bolt when you change your oil. As always make sure to use a torque wrench when tightening back because it is easy to strip the threads if you tighten too much. A good trick to know when changing your oil filter is to take a piece of aluminum foil and slide it over your headers so that when you remove the oil filter you don't get oil all over the pipes which will cause smoke and burning smell from the residual oil that gets on the headers.

Rollin

12. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Thanks for the help got the oil changed and the aluminum foil was great idea! Thanks

I was looking at racer supply for some SS Brake lines but it seems they arent there now? Only am seeing 86-89 years?

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Local guy at Tubes N Hoses in Loveland will build stainless brake lines and probably be half the price.

14. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Thanks tinkerin. Will have to look him up. Would he do a SS Clutch line aswell?

What brake pads do you guys like just OE?

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Read my 5th gen build thread linked in my signature for details on my SS lines. Yes, he makes lines for a living and doesn't care what you want to use them for. Your bike will be much easier than the 5th gen. Just have to pull them off and he'll match them up,

16. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Whats best way to get at R/R on my bike? Can I just take the right side rear plastic off? Does the wire my bike one still need a fan? Or will it be ok cause it has a heat sink.

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I like stuff that is free...:evil: :flip:

Me uses Amsoil if it matters,,,20-50

other trash me gots, me uses Mobil One 10-40
    Cages 5-20

Thats just me, I dont shampoo as I gots a lake in the back of my house and just jump in there and use some natural shit as I am a VEGAN...

18. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Ya I just used Amsoil 10-40 today really happy with how much better the shifting is.

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Dats Kewel !!! I live in south FL so- me likes heavy earl. I had 20-50 when I lived in NJ come to think about it...I rode the original clutch pack 70,000 miles before I changed the entire deal (frictions, steels, springs) Kinda rode the same, except the pull on the lever that felt differnt. As far as performance, I could feel it over 110 mph or so...Everyone rides the clutch different and wears it accordingly...AnywHOooooOOO... Amsoil is dah Shit! so your doing GUD!!!

20. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Whats best way to get at R/R on my bike? Can I just take the right side rear plastic off? Does the wire my bike one still need a fan? Or will it be ok cause it has a heat sink.