Helmet Size Fix

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Maggot, May 6, 2009.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I learned something today that maybe everyone else knows but I didn't, so I thought I would share. Maybe I'm not the only one.

I bought an HJC helmet a while ago. Tried many on at the local bike shop until I found one that was nice and snug, and fit well. CL-15 XXL (Big head from switching from old CB 750 to a VFR!). After wearing it over a year, it seems to be too loose. My thoughts are time to look for a new helmet.

This time I am doing a lot of research and actually measured my head. I learn I should have bought an XL instead of an XXL. Then I start thinking Arai is always talking about changeable pads and I am wondering if helmet manufacturers make different outer shells for each size or do they make just a few shells and change the size by adding thicker or thinner pads.

I decided to give HJC a phone call. The very nice lady on the phone told me they make a few shells and fit them with different pads. She said my XXL shell is the same shell for LG, XL and XXL. All I have to do is go to a dealer and buy the XL Crown and the XL chin pads and I would have an XL Helmet.

I went on the web to Motorcycle Superstore and found my parts for $8.99 Chin pads and $11.99 Crown. Wow, change my size for under $30.00 including freight.

My son was also complaining about his Scorpion EXO-700 helmet being too big so we called Scorpion and same thing. He wears a medium and wants to go to a small. The folks there told us his shell is for X-small, Small and Medium. The conversion for the Scorpion is about $15.00 for the chin pads and $29.00 for the crown pad, but still much cheaper than replacing a helmet that he really likes.

The bottom line here is, if your helmet doesn't fit just right and spending big bucks on a new one in this economy isn't an option, call your helmet company and find out what other sizes go with the shell you have. Chances are you can get a better fitting helmet and it won't break the bank. Having the proper fitting helmet is probably the safest thing we can do for ourselves.

I can't wait for the new parts to arrive. :smile:

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Good information. I learned this about a year ago on my HJC AC12. It was a bit tight so I ordered the smaller cheek pads, but I got the wrong ones. I have never got the new pads but my fitment in the helmet is nice as the pads took awhile to compress and break in. Almost mothing worse than a loose helmet!

3. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    It seems you should go slightly too tight instead of just snug because all pads will compress with time. It's like new boots or gloves, it takes a little time to fit your form.

4. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Got the parts a few days ago and tried it out over the weekend. Wow! What a difference. Helmet fits much better. I noticed when I look over my left and right shoulder I can see further back. I think my head was turning inside the helmet before. Now the helmet stays put on my head and when I look full left and right the helmet window turns as far as I do. Wider visibility is good!!!