hello, I'm considering a VFR800 as my next but unsure of compatability

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BoneJj, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

If they had ABS on the Ninja at the time when I was hunting I would not have the VFR 1200. That was my breaking point. I use the VFR as my primary mode of transportation. Rain or Shine I'm on it. The Rain is one of the critical reasons I wanted ABS. Would have brought the price up about a thousand dollars even if the ninja 1000 had it so that put it in the VFR price point range when I was shopping. Liked the handle bar position a little better on the ninja set up for 8 hours of thrashing a Canyon.

2. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

I personally don't care that much for ABS, so that's not an issue at all. I would love a VFR1200 but that's just out of my price category at this time. Unless I get a ton of cash sometime soon, that's just not going to happen, lol.

I'm still having a hell of time getting my VN900, kawasaki vulcan sold, I keep getting tons of flaky people coming, looking, then saying they want it but not being able to come up with the money..... WTF????

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you need a better craigslist ad.

"don't waste my time by showing up if your mom or wife hasn't already given your sissy pants permission to spend money"

4. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

That's the problem, all the people that have been coming to see the bike have been over 40.... And the one kid that did come was 21 and he had more cash than anyone else, he was about a grand short and I told him that I couldn't finance him, he'd have to come back when he had all the cash in hand.

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    hope you haven't been letting these clowns ride your bike.

I won't let anyone ride until we agree on price and they hand over the cash/check.

6. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

that's exactly what I do, I don't let anyone touch the bike unless I have the cash in my hand...

I wont let them test ride the bike until they give me the cash to hold, if they come with a certified check then they can't ride until the cash is in my account and both title and bike stay in my possession until the cash is mine.

7. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    right on. I figure if a guy is buying from me, then he better know what he wants. If I know it's in tip-top mechanical condition then he has his last chance ride after I have the cash in hand to see that. If he doesn't already know whether he wants it or not, a ride isn't going to change anything. I don't give a shit whether it fits or how the springs fit his fat ass because people should know that bikes need to be adjusted to fit the rider.

8. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

exactly, people just don't seem to understand that. I actually said pretty much exactly what you said here to the last guy that looked at my bike and he said it made great sense. So after that he made his decision to not buy it, he wanted 1600+cc performance out of a 900 v-twin.... come on... lol.

I actually just got a call from some lady a little while ago that wants it so I hope she comes and buys it... lol.

9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    If I were selling a bike, I would let me ride it. But then, only I would be allowed to ride the bike.

Hmmm . . . .

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I remember shopping for horses with this girlfriend I had for a few years. We knew pretty quickly that we weren't interested in the horse. Somehow the girlfriend felt like she should ride it. Kind of like you owed it to the seller to give the horse every opportunity to impress you. The horse flipped over and landing on the girl and we ended up speeding to the hospital to get her checked out.

The last horse I bought about eight years ago or so, I didn't even bother riding. Checked him over, watched him move, and liked what I saw. The rest didn't matter because I knew it could be taught. He's been one of the best horses ever.

Of course I've had my share of bad ones too.

Motorcycles are no different. People know what they like and what's important to them. There are enough reviews out there to say what a bike is good for. The ergonomics of how it fits will have to be adjusted unless the buyer is the same size and weight as I am.

Maybe the buyer doesn't know what they like? They aren't going to figure it out on a 5 minute test ride. And that's why they buy used. Ride it for a few months and move on if it doesn't work out.