Heard of MAX TOUR Regulator

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Hingley, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    I started the process of stripping off all the fairing panels to do a complete service on my new 1990 VFR750 before I get her on the road this spring.
    When I removed the seat panel on the right side I noticed the Regulator was marked as being a
    MAX TOUR regulator
    Have any of you heard of this unit?
    Is it OEM or aftermarket?
    Is it a good quality unit

As a last comment for all you guys riding down south think of this
    Two days ago we got a foot of snow, tomorrow we are getting another 1.5 feet
    What I wouldn't give for a couple of days riding the twisties

2. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    spending a couple minutes, google reveals Tour Max...a "far east" knockoff, inexpensive
    in 2011, a guy on a Fireblade forum got about 3 months and 2500 miles out of his $25 version.

Contrast that to my old Shindengen FH010 (OEM on ZX10 Kaw) installed on my '98 VFR in 2009, zero issues, still charging perfectly, running cool....awaiting upcoming '17 season.

Prior to installation kits being marketed, I self wired and installed. Note mine was bought *used* off ebay...around $40-50? Bench tests exist to verify they are sound prior to installation.

Worked so well..I repeated the process on my Ducati around the same time. The same unit about to begin the '17 riding season

Beyond the obvious, peripheral electrical damage can occur from a failed RR. The made in Japan Shindengen have a proven, reliable history...IMHO.

IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Thanks this is exactly what I needed to know, My knowledge of electrical issues is weak and I know someone
    would know whether this was a good unit to leave or upgrade before I finish the overall maintenance work.

4. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    If you have not seen or heard of this, www.roadstercycle.com is the way to go. Look on here and there are numerous posts of everyone trying everything from everywhere in the world and failing. Everyone swears by the roadstercycle one and it is made by Shindengen as mentioned above. Good luck.

5. NormK

NormK New Member

And while you are at it remove the connector between the stator and rec/reg, this is the most obvious cause of trashing out the charging system on the VFR

6. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    also suggest adding a voltmeter of your choice

7. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    It looks a lot like the chinese one I bought for my 2001.
    It lasted 4 hours and left me stranded 200km from home.
    Bought a second hand one from a Yamie R1 for next to nothing and has been working fine for 2 years.