having some wierd bike issues

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by matt1986vf500f, Aug 27, 2009.

1. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    NCB i've always though alot about you i like the way you speak your mind and dont beat around the bush but dude slaming other peoples bikes whats the deal with that? i'm sure you would like it one bit if i did the same..

2. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    with squirrel silence i take it he's doesnt want to deal with this problem so squirrel next time you come to look at this thread i dont want my money back you keep..i paid for a service you did it and i had a few problems i'll get the bike back running again i'm not worried about it i just figured we could be adults and handle this. good luck to you sir and i wish you the best!

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm curious, what method/process did you use to figure out what cylinder was loading up?

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I stand by what I said, feel free to slam my bike all you want. it won't hurt my feelings one bit.

The truth of the matter is that you did not do your homework, you thought you knew what was causing your problem, so you sent him your rust filled, wore out, junk carbs, having already come to the conclusion that the carbs were the problem...or at least Mr. Daugherty did, anyway. Well, you got the carbs back and it didn't fix your problem...so all of a sudden you and your pal Mr. Daugherty decide that it's S-mans fault. The way you and Mr. Daugherty have handled it from there is questionable. Just because he rebuilt your carbs doesn't mean that he has any assumed ownership of your initial problems to begin with, although it would seem that you and Mr. Daugherty would like to somehow link the two things together.

I had this discussion with Squirrelman many moons ago, when he decided to offer carb services to this forum, and told him that this very thing was going to happen. Guess what, it has. Completely predictable. If it was me, which it never would be, until I knew exactly what is causing the problem, I'd shut the hell up until I knew what the hell I was talking about. As for the acting like adults comment in your last post....it's a little past that point in my opinion.

5. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    ha..funny you should ask the exhaust note! then i rode it tested check and found the the front left cylinder was gettign loaded up on fuel when maintaning a throttle. funny huh

6. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    ha if you only knew i'll let you think whatever man i can see this is just going to turn into a bitch fest, by the way homework has been done long time ago

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  7. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I'm still not following you. You told me what you found, not the method used to find it. Did you measure exhaust temperature on each header pipe? Did this fuel that was loading up work its way into the exhaust and cause a backfire? Unburned fuel has to go somewhere and would light in a hot collection pipe wouldn't it?

I suspect the cylinder I'm having trouble with is #1 but I've been unable to confirm it.

8. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    sorry your right i didnt i first check each header pipe for temp, then checked the plugs tested for weak spark.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

No bitchfest, matt. I said my piece and that's all the time i'm willing to devote to this ridiculous situation. I wish you future success with your troubleshooting.

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    So am I to understand that with the bike idling, you have a cold header pipe on the #2 cylinder?

At idle, the cylinder isn't firing at all, you shut the bike off and find a wet plug?

And after that, no adjustment of the pilot screw at idle gets the cylinder firing?

At what throttle position/rpm does the cylinder come back online?

11. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    YES,YES,NO & WOT

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    So based on these tests and what you found, you are convinced that the idle circuit (pilot jet), low speed jet (idle to about 1/4 throttle), and any combination of the main and needle jet (1/4 to 3/4 throttle) are flooding out the cylinder? The only circuit of the one carb working properly is the main jet?

Were you able to run the bike without the fuel tank and air box to see if the vacuum slider behaves like the other three cylinders?

13. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    no i havent been able to run the bike with out a tank my time has gotten so limited with having a baby now that i had to really push the wife to let me have some time to play with the bike, i would really like to do that but it would take me another week or so to get the time to do it, oh by the way i've put 107 miles on this tank of fuel and she has less then half gallon left

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    the wife and I are planning and starting the family after the new year so I'm enjoying my freedom while I have it!

If I get a chance, I'll get a photo of the fuel can I rigged up for running without the tank and airbox. It's a little hoaky but it works. Unfortunately, new fuel cans don't have the small vent at the back of the can that used to work great for connecting fuel lines.

15. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

Check needlejet postions while running in your garage.

Great job tinkerinWstuff, of tip toeing around the :argue2:. Try to remember that "no good deed goes unpunished", so mind where you step or what you are stepping in. There is another thread that might be useful to refer to going on right next door to the "wierd stuff" thread. Its the thread about another Vf 500f with a problem that keeps it from reving up by 1983Bob.

Matt, I am sorry that Squirrel has chosen to remain silent. He'll let TinkerinWstuff work out the problem and then when you two finally figure out if there is a problem with the electrical/ignition system I suppose he'll be able to say "I told you so". I, however, will have dropped some of my respect for him. I hope you will follow through regarding what TinkerinWstuff asks you to try out. I know you have other responsibilities to deal with besides your cycle. I know that wives with little babies to deal with have (almost) no tolerance for motorcycle shenanigans I think this problem has taken so much time thus far that to hang on for another few months is not that big a deal. I'll stick it out and try to help if I can offer more than what Tinkerin is doing.

As for the fact that you got 107 miles out of the 1st tank of fuel is more an indication of your problems than an indication of your mileage. Hold off on mileage until you get the cycle debugged. Hang in there. I hope you have a VOM, ammeter and timing light. I hope you can get ahold of known good CDI units if you pass all the electrical/ignition tests. Since you have a 1986 model
    you don't have a fuel pump system. I suppose that if you follow the test procedure for checking fuel volume on the 84-85 model Vf 500f models, that you can assume you are not suffering fuel starvation. I think you need to consider that if you change to the early carburetors that they might require you install a fuel pump system. So I'd stick it out with the Keitin 32's until you exhaust all tests.

nuff said

DKC

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    PM sent.

I needed to walk away from this issue for a couple days while the smoke and fire died down a little.

When you're done bashin' send me the carbs, now i know exactly where to look for the problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  17. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    at first i was like man what did i get my self into but they are 7 weeks old and man i'm loving every minute of it!

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I usually try to reuse as many parts as possible since money is always an issue, but in this case, Matt, i'd rather not.

So please send along with your carbs 4 new needle and seat sets, 4 new slow jets, 4 new float bowl gaskets, and also consider sending me 4 new vacuum slides with brand new diaphrams to replace your 23 year old components. And floats, how about new floats too??

I'm NOT saying that you actually need any of these parts now to make your bike run better, but i'm trying to make you see what a favor i was doing you by NOT insisting these parts be replaced initially.

Whatever bits are not replaced means that you must be willing to accept a risk of their future failure.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  19. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    some of that will be hard to get the slide's for one i dont know of any one that still sell them, the needles are almost brand new they came with the jet kit do you think they need replacing? i think bikebandit still sells the float bowl gaskets, the slow jet i think bikebandit still sells aswell let me dig alittle deeper into this i'll let you know what i find.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  20. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    It's about time for S-man to come clean with the real story. He's sent several PM's to me and Matt (that's why I got involved in the first place). There is a WHOLE BUNCH of info that's not been stated in this thread. I'll let S-man post that himself, which I think he should. It's unfair to accuse me a "smearing" or "slamming" when I'm not stating anything that isn't true. It just seems that way because S-man appears to have gotten some amnesia about it.

Again, I'll let him speak for himself. As you can tell, I don't take too kindly to being dragged into something then pointed a finger at.