having some wierd bike issues

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by matt1986vf500f, Aug 27, 2009.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I missed alot but I'm finally all caught up.

I hope everything works out and that everyone comes away from this happy and content.

2. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

Any OEM is going to send you honda stuff

I'm pretty sure you can get it for a better price at OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse.

You can get just the needles (and reuse the brass seats) from Japanese Vintage Motorcycle Parts - Partsnmore.com That will save you a some money. I believe the needles are the same on all the Keitin VD style carburetors. You can check this out by using the fische on various OEM sites to cross reference part numbers from other Vf model bikes of the same period. the rubber tips on the 'needles' get a grove in them that results in a poor seal. The differences between models is in the size of teh hole in the brass 'seat'. The larger the bike the more fuel it requires. But the rubber nose on the needle accomodates all the different seat hole sizes. In other words youcould take those worn out needles from the Keitin 32's and install then in a V65 or V45 with larger seat hole and the wear line would not interfer with the seal of the larger hole on either of these larger bikes Keitin VD carbs. I think PartsnMore sells the V45 needle and seat for $10 or less (maybe it was $8). YOu have to reuse the 500's brass seat but the seat doesn't wear out unless the rubber nose of the needle comes off and brass hits brass.

As for the pistons and diaphrams that may be the hard part. The Keitin 32's are a one year one bike type issue. I'd have to look into finding replacements. They will be expensive. But I would try OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse again and use Buy Discount OEM Honda Motorcycle Parts, Honda ATV Parts, Honda CBR Parts, Honda CR, VTX Parts to cross reference the part number to see if any other honda used the Keitin 31=32 carburetor. You might find some good used ones in a different model Honda than the singular Vf500f.

3. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

I checked out my memory and I was right. You can buy new OEM piston-diaphragms for $77.68 each from cyclepartswarehouse.com. There is an additional shipping charge. You can buy the same piston-diaphragms from Hondapartspitstop.com for $82.02 plus shipping. The part number (16111-MF2-711) search confirms that the 86VF500f is a unique one year only model carb. So what you are replacing is worth keeping as a spare part. I'll buy the three of them, maybe four, that were working off you if you want to sell them. They are rare/ hard to find in good used condition.

As for the needle and seat I was right about that too. The same needle and seat (pn # 16011-MM4-004) is used on the 86-87 VFR 700 and 750 f's and the 87-88 CBR 1000 f's. You can buy replacment 'needles' to replace the worn out ones for your 500 for $8.00 each at PartsnMore.com. The part number to order is 48-1435. They may not have a Honda part number but I can attest to the fact that they are exactly the same as the OEM needle and they are made in Japan.

As for the gaskets. The kickers are the small o-ring gaskets used to seal the bowl vent lines and the fuel inlet lines. There may also be a very small bitch of an o-ring that seals up the 'pilot' needle or idle screw that you might get cheaper if you knew if the V45 used the same o rings. Buy a carb gasket/rebuild kit from PartsnMore.com. I think the cost is $15-$20 per gasket set. You get the new 'needle' that you want and the idle screw o-ring but I'm not sure about the vent and fuel inlet o-rings. The V45 float bowl gasket won't fit. I have used Permatex or other silicone type gasket makers that say they are impervious to gasoline in the place of OEM rubber replacement bowl gaskets with success. I did so on the last set of 500 carbs I rebuilt. So I am telling you what I did to save money on the last set of 500 carbs that I rebuilt. Those were the Keitin VD 59's I have on the '84 Magna V30 that last got 49 mpg driving into Long Beach a couple of weeks ago.

The kicker is the shipping cost. You might get the piston-diaphragms for a few bucks less only to find that the cost between two OEM sellers is more or less thesame because of the cost of shipping. PartsnMore has a simple one size fits all shipping policy: buy $35 of stuff and shipping is a flat rate $5 to the lower 48 States. So you can pay @ $32.00 per needle and seat from a USA OEM shipper and get the factory seal of approval for your needles for @$130 plus what ever the OEM shipper is going to charge you. Or you can buy from BikeBandit and pay a higher price for each needle and seat and get the free shipping, or you can pay $8 per needle two times and buy one complete V45 carb rebuild kit (with the third needle included) from Canada (PartsnMore.com) and the price will be $16 (2 x $8) + $20 (one complete gasket kit) + $5 for shipping for a grand total of $41.00, and the least you get out of it is 3 new "needles'. But you'll probably get one complete set of o-rings for one of the Keitin 32's and you will know for sure whether buying 3 more V45 rebuild kits from Canada is worth the trouble of having to use permatex in place of an OEM rubber float bowl gasket.

DKC

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    <<<<<>>>>>

Matt, you may not need ANY of that expensive stuff, but i want you to understand something: by redoing your carbs and NOT replacing those items, both you and i are assuming certain risks that these old, used parts may not be functioning as well as brand new parts. Therefore any complaints should always be weighed against the cost saving.

If i wanted to absolutely cover my ass, it would cost each guy an additional $500 to furnish these parts new, and i don't ever want to do that. what i want to do is reuse all original parts--after they pass careful inspection--and charge my regular low rate to get them working again.

I also want you to understand that i spent over 7 hours cleaning and reassembling your carbs, then spent an additional hour testing them.

I do carbs because i enjoy doing them, make no significant amount of money, and work very, very carefully and always check my work. i never rush or take shortcuts.

the reason i asked you so many questions is that i want to know exactly how the bike is running so that if i made an error i can find out where and correct it.

5. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

Ok Matt, its decision time. It sounds like Squirrelman wants to check the carbs out and reassemble them to his usual degree of perfection. It sounds, however, like he expects to get paid for the hours he puts into the recheck.

I would suggest that you spend the money on replacing the needles and the o-rings at $12 a pop for the V45 carb kits sold by PartsnMore. Thats $48 plus $5 for shipping. You can replace the 4 float valve needles with new ones and have the floats set by Squirrelman with the expectation of having them stay in good order for years. And you get the new o-rings to seal the idle screws and the fuel inlet tubes and the vent tubes when Squirrelman does the reassembly.

I realize that the piston-diaphragms are expensive at $80 apiece. Reuse the original diaphragms. Squirrelman says he is going to make everything pass "careful inspection". You already know that three of the piston-diaphragms were working. The diaphragms on the pistons are a lot like a woman's diaphragm, if you know what I mean. The diaphragms are made of a very high grade neoprene like material that resists disintegration over time. The usual failure in a diaphragm is a tear or a hole that could be caused by improper installation of the diaphragm cover(s). If you don't have the confidence and or patience to install the diaphragms let Squirrelman do it for you.

Its your move. You have the audiences attention and a lot of well wishers that want to see you happy. If you want to take on the job for yourself I'm sure that you will still get support. I thought that TinkerinWstuff was going to help you check out the piston action with the tank and air cleaner off in your garage. So you are in the batter's box now.

Batter up!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

hey Matt this one gonna be a fighter he's got the pose..

I have a few of me sleeping while holding my baby girl...

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, Matt.....

I'd like to hear the results of this experiment, please: turn the brass-colored mixture screw on the cylinder that's problematic clockwise ONE TURN, then try riding again and report.

8. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    i will do this soon im painting & moving into my new house this weekend so wont be enough time to work on it mybe by next weekend i might be able to get to it

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you know you'll need to run to or from the new and old house to pick up a paint brush or something!!

10. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    i've waited long enough for the truth to come out!! now i will tell everybody the truth about my carbs i employed S-man to rebuild them and he did so but while he was rebuilding them he drilled out my carb slides which i did not ask him to do he vigorously cleaned the pilot jets to the point where he had though that he might had damaged them then found some springs somewhere for the carb sync, and did use the or wait for the right ones coming from jamie which where the right ones that where ordered from honda while all of this was going on i didnt know a thing about it untill i found out later on did he come out and tell me NO he didnt this is not revenge or whatever you want to call it this is the damn honest truth i would have never knew a thing about it and would have probably tore through my bike trying to find the problem but i already knew what it was from the begining the fact of the matter was i was lie to me and everybody here was filled wiht false info i'm sure i will get slammed for this and called all shorts of ugly names but heres the truth, i'm washing my hands of this and calling it quits with this adventure.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the kind words, Matt, and thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. What you call truth is only your opinion, very much influenced by Jamie .

Too bad your facts are wrong cuz you got them from Jamie, and once he gets an idea even the facts don't matter, only his opinion.

JETS were cleaned with a set of steel wires from K&L designed for carbs, all jets passed the same wire through, yet you have trouble with one cylinder only?? a mystery!

Carb SLIDES were drilled EXACTLY according to the instructions contained in the Dynojet kit you supplied, EXACTLY ! i used the drill bit included with the kit.

I used a SPRING from the spare set of VF 500 carbs i had sitting on a shelf; Jamie was a slow shipper, and you were whining about the delay. there was NOTHING improper about the suitability of the synch spring.

I guess you didn't know that the carbs should be synched ON THE BIKE for best possible results, and the mixture screws adjusted according to the "idle drop" proceedure detailed in the service manual. both items could influence the problem you're having.

If you had done these operations your problem might have disappeared, but you'd rather take a big bite out of my butt instead.

You're a hot-headed crybaby, Matt!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

:pop2: this is awesome.

13. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

This is terrible

This is just cause for sadness all around. Everyone had been poorly served. No one has come out unscathed in this situation. This whole thing has evolved into a big battle of egos. Everybody looks bad, especially VFRWorld.

If Squirrelman says he drilled the sliders per the jet kit instructions I have no reason to disbelieve him. As for using a specialized jet cleaning rod, I would tend to believe that is acceptable as well. If I had the same tool I believe he describes useing I would have used it as well. I think he was trying to give value to his work by doing these steps. I still tend to believe that he tried to do as good a job as he could knowing his reputation was on the line.

Where I fault Squirrelman is in his treatment of Matt after the fact. Even if Jamie was criticizing from the side lines, once money had passed between Matt and Squirrelman, then S-man had an obligation to stick out the process of putting the machine back together. I know that the arguing point is going to be that Matt was too much of a neophyte and that trying to help him via long distance was too much added expense and that he, S-man, only stood to loose as a result of having to hold Matts hand via the telephone. I think if you turn this sort of forum into a "for profit" service that you need to realize that you are ruining the image of VFRW on top of your own immage if you don't follow through to the bitter end. You are the UBER GURU. That means you have been around the site for a long while. You should know that many of the guys posting are unable to do the work of reassembly without help. Its really your responsibility as the senior person to realize that you might end up having to hold someone by the hand for a prolonged period of time if you engage that individual in a financial transaction, even if you don't.

What you have introduced into the VFRW site is Caveat Emptor or 'let the buyer beware'. This is not supposed to be or become that sort of site. Its supposed to be a fun site that also contributes to the longevity of the VF motorcycle.

I don't want to see a fight I want Matt to get back a running bike.

DKC

14. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    NO!! this is'nt about jamie so get over that this is about what has happened jamie has no part in this besides giving me help to get it back on the road.. i'm not taking a bite out of you butt, but rather informing all the new people to this site of what i've gone through, please put the emails up that you sent to jamie asking for help!? i'm sure you havent forgotten about those! and i will say i am sorry i should have been more specific when i sent you the carbs with the hand written note telling you that i sent the jetkit to you to make sure all of the setting where right..

15. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

this thread reminds me of austin powers trying to turn that golf cart around in the hallway....SO MUCH WIN!

17. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    :rofl: thats pretty good

18. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

DKC,

I guess the part that you don't realize is:

• Squirrelman PM'd me to tell me that he thought he damaged the pilot jets and asked "What should I do?". That's in quotes for a reason.
    • He then said that he went ahead and drilled out the slides, even though the jet kit was already installed without doing this (they way you should do it, by the way). After asking me about this [note: see the pattern? S-man contacted me on his own free will] to tell me about it I said that was a mistake. He was then going to cobble something up with JB Weld in the holes or something. I literally had to talk him down from the ledge on that one, imagine how bad it could have been had I not.
    • I got pulled into this unwillingly and felt like the only right thing to do was tell Matt about what S-man was telling me. I would hope that anyone else in this forum would do the same for me. I was never allowed to be, as you put it, on "the sidelines" because S-man had already pulled me into the game.

Where it breaks down for me is that my name was being smeared because Squirrelman failed to fess up to the truth. He outright admitted these things which he is now denying.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I DENY ever stating that i damaged the pilot jets and challenge jamie to find any post or Pm stating that. It's fiction !

It's illogical to claim the pilot jets were improperly enlarged because Matt's bike seems to have 3 cylinders running properly, and all jets passed the same wire.

THE slide holes have nothing to do with the problem....because Matt's bike mostly has problems at idle and low rpms and runs OK on 3 cylinders.

I offered to rework Matt's carbs---at no additional cost--to his satisfaction, but instead of sending them back, he'd rather sound victimized, then bitch and moan and point accusing fingers. What more can i do ??

Jamie needn't have become involved in the public aspect of this dispute, and was feeding Matt erroneous information, like i damaged the slow jets for example.

I do have many very satisfied carb clients, but these 2 cheeky blighters are doing everything they can to smear my face in my one bad result. Meanwhile, NOTHING has been proved as to the exact cause of Matt's problem, yet accusations fly !!

20. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    its squirrelmans hate and contempt for the Gen 1 that did this......

Matt. I wou;d offer my humble opinion that maybe you shoudl give squirrel a chance to right the wrong....I mean we are one big happy disgruntled family and squirrel man has offerd openly to "redo" your carbs... not taking sides but just giving a perspective...

CR