Hard luggage woes...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Boosh63, May 17, 2020.

1. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Am I the only person with a scuffed up right side case because I forget to lift my leg high enough to clear it when dismounting?

Does anybody have any suggestions to either protect the case or somehow remind myself that it's there.

My two previous fifth generation machines did not have hard luggage. I was fortunate enough to purchase my 2008 with them. I really like them but I am good for at least one scuff per ride after attaching them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Clean scuffs with naptha or mineral spirits, see if you can rub them out with Novus #2 and elbow grease. Lightly abraisive intended to fix scratches in plastic, I've fixed minor paint scuffs with it.
    You can try 3M clear protective film.

Boosh63 likes this.
  3. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    sometimes i step on the peg 1st before bringing the leg over if i feel lazy (GO ESKS)

4. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Let's hope there's a season!

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If you can't break the habit of lazy leg, there is a product on the market in Canada at least, called Plasti Dip.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

It comes in a rattle can and you can get it at most automotive parts stores I am aware of. It comes in several colours including clear. It dries fairly quick but I think it is a semi gloss finish. The best part of this is that this product will peel off like a rubber coating very easily, so when you do mark it up, you just peel it off and re-apply. I have used it on my hard bags for this very reason but just never stuck with it. Maybe when I get the bike painted again this winter, I will be more diligent with that.

I have seen many people here coat their nice wheels on their cages to protect them from the harshness of the winter salts here.

6. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Ha... I wouldn't exactly call it lazy leg. It's more like I forget the thing is there. I am still flexible enough to get my leg over the case without issue what I might have to do is just leave the cases on all the time... Tune up the muscle memory.

My bike is silver and the bags are black I do have an opportunity here to paint them silver to match so I just may continue to put the odd scuff in them until I decide to do something with the color of them.

In the final analysis, a scuff or two may not look pretty with the cases are still amazing.

7. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    My thoughts on plastidip is glad it comes off easily. I highly recommend Laminix, it's great on headlights and paint. You can then " see your true color shining thru" besides, they make precut VFR kits as well as sheet stock.

Boosh63 likes this.