Hanging off

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by 02 VFR Rider, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

well seems the comments "not hanging off will help you go faster " in bubbas thread started a controversy.

So I figured I will post in anything goes ( not preaching riding style )to see where this subject will take us.
    First off - yes I hang off sometimes... HAHA HA go the speed limit << funny
    Back to basics, you want to go fast aye, then you got to slow down... have you heard it before? I know I have somewhere.

So here goes, not hanging off in the corners and staying in the center of the bike will allow you to work on your lines, you do not allow you head ( some times your upper body and head ) to cross the double yellow lines, unless you think it will look good imbedded into the front end of what ever happens to come around the corner first. Not hanging off the bike will help with this problem I see more to offten on the street by lesser skilled riders. It will also allow you to feel what the bike is doing under you as well, as you try differnt things to get an idea of what different inputs cause to bike to react in differnet ways.

So try a few things, ride normal, weight on your wrists and handle bars, butt just on the seat or hell hang off, then weave the bike from side to side. Then grip the tank with your knees, arch your back while seated upright and weave the bike side to side at about 40-50 mph, and then again, but this time put some weight on your feet to hold your asre about a 1/2" off the seat, upper torso over the tank so your head is centered over the triple clamp. Can you feel how the bike reacts to your weight being over the front wheel and the feed back you get as the bike reacts? how about when you make a slight change like sticking that butt right out behind you like you and shake it like you just don't care. What this does is lets you feel what you and your bike are doing while throwing your weight around.

How about just trying to put more pressure on the foot pegs as to transfer your weight from side to side going thru a set of S turns. But more important is to take in the changes and make the notes in your head so you can go back and tranfer to your riding style, what helps the bike turn faster, making slow transitions and what helps on the fast ones.

Recap; practice your lines, I can't stress it enough, you want to be smooth and have rhythm.
    Knees griping the tank and keep your weight off your wrists and the handle bars when you make inputs.
    Put some weight on the front wheel, you might just like the feeling.

There will be a point where you will be draging your knee, but it will be more exhilarating when you understand why you must and most important when. Some might learn that they are hanging off to late or too early and upsetting the bike at the most important time for the bike to be setteled into its line. <<< Hey we are right back where we started ' working on our line "

Then we need to throw in throttle control and the brakes into the mix and start all over... :pop2:

2. billysastard

billysastard New Member

Sorry, I am a kinesthetic learner. Therefore, quite difficult for me to visualize exactly the:bootyshake2: you speak of in this particular thread.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I steer with my feet quite a bit. Kinda hard getting them up on the bars, though... JK had to get that up there before someone else said it. I used to stay pretty much in the seat and I kept getting faster and faster. Then I got to draggin hard parts. I didn't like that. Then I got off the seat. Then I got better suspension. Now I get off the seat sometimes, sometimes not, but I rarely ever drag anything besides a knee here or there. Unfortunately the damage to my footpegs, midpipe, centerstand is already done... Live and learn...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. havcar

havcar New Member

Map

"Slow is smooth...Smooth is fast" Think that was Keith Code

I do like a good knee flogging, but never on the street. I will slightly come off the bike and therefore will slightly put a knee out in order to increase the fun factor on an open canyon road, but prudence tells me to leave a certain margin for error on the public track circuit. I get more than uncomfortable being in a knee on the pavement corner, thus completely commited to the corner, and watching on coming traffic slip by, just inches from me. All it takes is for one guy to come around a blind corner over the yellow line and smack my ass because I was too commited to a line to make a correction and compensate for his mistake. Lights out!