Had to lay the '04 down...

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by ridnout, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    While I don't know the relative distances you faced, I disagree that the turn radius is wide. Fully loading the drivetrain, standing on the outside peg, I am continually amazed at how the bike turns right around.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Well I think I will always find dirt to be challenging even on my Cr 250. Talk about ever changing conditions and a bike moving all over the place. A million decisions to deal with and not get flung off. Which will happen to even the best dirt riders. lol

3. H0ki3

H0ki3 New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad your OK OP. Sounds like you washed out the front, by only using the front lever and turning hard to avoid the caddy (said foot was off rear controls). JW Are tires in good shape?

Sketchy circumstances like this happen to me everyday, DC drivers are a wild bunch and pedistrians are even worse! Double parking, whipping u-turns in traffic, walking down the middle of the road, riding 2 stroke quads and dirt bikes on the streets. Don't even get me started on the roads, pot holes "Mean Mr. Mustard" could sleep in! Keeps you on your toes. I had a lady dart across traffic infront of me the other week, I was going 35, and swerved hard, then noticed her friend was chasing her, great expression from the second person :witless:

...Sounds like you fared better than my recent "wreck" (went down in sand @ 20-30 mph). I cracked side and front palstics, and bent rear brake foot lever. I ended up buying a whole rear brake assembly off ebay for $40. Keep an eye out on ebay, a lot of used VFR take off parts show up from time to time at great prices. I also replaced my tires afterwards, Better grip and I would have never gone down (mine were delivered day I went down actually). Good opportunity to check hoses, chain, consumables, brakes, etc.

Don't be too put off, first bike / first wreck can be quite upsetting. Use it as a learning experience. I've been down a lot, mostly off road, learn something each time. Still consider myself a n00b after 8 bikes, 1000s of miles and ~6 years of riding (on road).

Being considerate to people that are clearly not good/patient drivers is my policy. Let them cut me off or merge in front of me. I'm around them safely and gone in a 100 feet most of the time. Not worth being aggressive in town IMHO.

Ride Safe! - H0ki3

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I wonder if putting radial tires on a dirt bike would improve riding skills? Probably not..

5. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    The Pirelli ST tires are practically new and are way more sticky than those Korean manufactured tires on the '99. Just cant think of the name. They arent as sticky but do decently.

Thinking of a supersport or something similar thats more flickable around town; however, the '99 is going nowhere.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Shinko?..........

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Shink No! lol

8. H0ki3

H0ki3 New Member

United States
    Map
    You're saying riding a dirt bike with a harder sidewall (less prone to deforming) would be good/fun? Well yea! Most SM guys run the latest greatest sport bike tires with tubes. As long as tire inside is smooth you shouldn't have issues.

OP: Don't beat yourself up over wreck. Sounds like you maybe could have kept it up but we wernt there, so who knows... So many factors play into riding and unexpected dismounts (road conditions, bike, skill, avail grip, etc, etc, etc)

BB: Just riding a dirt bike improves riding skills haha. I use dirt bike tricks all the time :biggrin:. I locked up the rear and slid through a hard right the other day on my klx...was glad I wasn't on the VFR that day (was snowy/icy).

9. H0ki3

H0ki3 New Member

United States
    Map
    Also "radial tubes" are a thing. Used for radial tires on a spoked wheel.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Dirt riders are much better street riders in my opinion, loss of traction and counter steering are at the top of the list.......When Kenny Roberts had his training camp, he had his riders on 100cc dirt bikes

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I think you need to get to know Billy a little better. lol

Duc have you ever checked out Collin Edwards camp? I know a few people that have attended his camp. Learn all kinds of dirt skill, shoot guns, ,water ski, get drunk in his bar, tell lies and laugh you ass off. He likes hanging with his clients, just a down to earth guy.

http://texastornadobootcamp.com/

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Do you think I should put some knobbies or paddle tires or even ice spikes on my VFR. I do so want to not fall down. I hate getting dirty.