Great experience at a Honda dealer!!!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Maggot, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    High Praise for Des Plaines Honda In Des Plaines, IL.

My 2007 VFR Has 16,000 miles. I stopped today at my local Honda dealer, Des Plaines Honda and talked to their service manager John. It is cold now in Chicago and I wanted to inquire about the dreaded valve inspection and getting my brake fluid flushed. This is when John floored me!. He told me that it would cost somewhere near 5 or 6 hundred dollars because it takes about 5 hours and the shim and bucket combination are about $50 a set. He then told me that he has done about 3 VFR Valve inspections over the last 6 months and none of them needed any changes. He also told me that although it would cost the dealer a 500 dollar service bill he would skip the inspection until 32,000 miles.

WOW! Nice to find an honest and service oriented manager with the customers best interest in mind.

They just locked me in for things I can't do myself. Hats off to them!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Hard to find an honest service person now day. Look like you found yourself a great place to work on your bike.

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That is always a great feeling when you know you're not being taken adavantage of. I've got a little over 17K miles on my '07 and I too have decided to skip the valve check. From all the research I have done on this site and elsewhere, I don't think I've seen where anyone's bike was out of spec at the 16K mile mark. I am going to ride it until 32K and get it checked then. Even at 32K, I've seen many posters saying that there bikes were still in spec ..........

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    .........makes you think maybe Honda wanted to be sure their dealers made money on (unnecessary) valve checks, eh ?? Naw ! They wouldn't do that !! No.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Mine was out of spec when done at 19k. One valve barely had .002" clearance when cold.

I had two great Honda dealer experiences today. The first was getting an airbag safety recall addressed on the '02 Civic. The other was at the two wheeled dealer and buying a Strider.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I'm sure we can bring back your overall $hitty impression of dealerships by asking them how much they charge for a tire change LOL !!! I still can't understand why dealerships don't give a price break on tire changes for single sided swingarm bikes. That is part of the reason I bought my own tire changer. I hate dealerships and don't trust them at all. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there that still charge for services that they never perform even though it appears on the work order.

Rollin

7. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Maggot, I live south of the city.....bunch of us riding in the toys for tots this Sunday. Gonna be almost 60! You should come on out! I have a Yellow 2000....:smile:

Glad Des Plaines is treating you well and they are right. I am lucky to live about 20 minutes from Service Honda, which is owned by a friend who I grew up and went to school with. The mechanics all told me the same thing when I bought mine and I know them and trust them. So just ride that thing :)

8. Guj

Guj New Member

Des Plaines is where I bought my bike. I had a good experience also. I made a reasonable offer, they came back $200 higher and I signed on the dotted line. They did try and sell me extras (riding gear, battery tender, service stuffs, ect...), but after I told them I have all of that and live in MN, they didn't pester me to buy from them. Glad to hear they are good on the service side too.

9. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Funny, somebody over @ VFRD is complaining that a dealer told him it dosen't really need to be done, posted up "dealer refuses to do valve check" and is now wondering what to do. Strange how people can take things the COMPLETE opposite in a similar situation.

10. Durk

Durk New Member

Not to poo on the OP's parade, but I'm sure they talk anyone out of a shitty 5-6 hour valve check that they can.
    Now if they tried to sell you blinker fluid...:rolleyes:

11. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the invite. Big party on Saturday night. Don't think I will be in shape for the toys for tots ride. Thanks again!

12. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Not a prob! Maybe we can get together for a ride come spring.....always good to meet fellow VFRians :)

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    One dealer in Seattle was selling 55 gallon drums of blinker fluid.