Goodbye 1st Gen...hello 2nd Gen

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Aug 1, 2010.

1. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    I put these float gaskets on an 87 vfr700, they worked great.

2. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes.

The bowl gaskets Squirrel and Dookie recommended worked great.

3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
  4. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Welcome to the 4th gen world. I love mine. Typical Honda, turn key, push fun button. How many miles/mods on yours?

5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks!

It's got about 17,000 miles on it. Only 1 owner.

6. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I still don't get why you were having so much trouble with both bikes.........one I kinda sort of see but the 2nd gen I don't get it....

7. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't get it either. :confused: ....I think the bike was abused/neglected by one or more of the previous owners.

When I bought it it was obviously "laid down" on both sides sometime in it's lifetime. The bike had an odd stumble just as you got onto the throttle.

Took it to a guy who supposedly knows VF/VFR's and he fucked it up.....from that point on it was bad news. Fuel leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks....bad misfire.

Took it to squirrel man who found the cam wear.

Winter time I replaced what I was told the problem was but I was still having running issues. I ended up having to replace all the jets and float assemblies....bike runs good now...but now I'm back to square one. After all that time and money spent. Missed out on a lot of riding time.

Now I can't get the Yosh to fit on.....this Ohlins I installed feels super squishy (even with it set to the hardest setting)...I still have the odd vibration around 3k rpm.

It's just a bag of problems that if I had a garage I'd keep it....but I don't. I can only work on it when I'm not at work, and it's nice out, but that's when I should be riding.

So I'm gonna throw on a set of Supertrapps on the 2nd gen.....clean it up and put it up for sale.

I'll sell the Yoshimaru 4-1 also.

8. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Hell, that's not even broken in. This summer should see you riding more for sure. The valve check interval is 16k, so if it's been done recently, you're good for many seasons. I just did mine on my 94 model @ 50k a couple weeks ago, and only 4 needed a little help. Go Honda.

Welcome back to motorcycling, dude.

9. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    So here's the final end to this thread, and to me starting threads in the 1st/2nd gen forum about stoopid problems with the bike.

Sold the bike....new owner picked it up last week. Gave me pretty much what I was asking for it.

[​IMG]
    ^^ There he goes.

As much as I hated the thing mechanically I liked looking at it.

The new owner took with him all of the spare parts I had for it, which easily filled up the rear of a jeep.

Before he picked it up I set up a little photo shoot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I had a garage, I would have kept it.

10. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    The 1st-2nd Gen forum salutes you....fairwell, lol.

There sure is something special about the look of the 2nd Gen isn't there? I would miss looking at it too.

11. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL....I'm not going anywhere...just not going to be bothering anyone anymore. (atleast not about 1st/2nd gens)

Isn't there?! Beauty of a bike. Too bad so many unskilled hands ruined mine.

12. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    isnt it funny how common the story is when a newbie gets a VF/VFR 1st -n- 2nd they take it to a shop who really messes it up! use a lil common sense..most guys working on bikes in shops were in diapers when these bikes came out or they havent seen one in so long they were never trained to work on one. save your money and pass on taking your bike to a shop..i promise they know nothing more than you can learn yourself.
    sorry to see your bike go Slowbird..but hey its not like you cant find another down the road when you're ready. most important you're out ridin' having some fun!

13. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    The 1997 is a better bike than the 1986, yes or no?

14. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    With all due respect dutchwurx, the people I took the 2nd gen to were older guys with VFR experience under their belts.

I learned the hard way that sometimes it's better to do the work yourself....that way there is no one else to blame but you.

Yes. It is. :smile:

15. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    all due respect slowbird thats what they told you and yes ive heard that a bunch also. "heck yeah man bring your bike down ive worked on vfrs forever"..of course they want your money...im sorry but in my experience ive never had one person say they took their bike to a shop and had a good experience..now im sure there are plenty out there it worked out ok but im yet to hear it.
    "Took it to a guy who supposedly knows VF/VFR's and he fucked it up.....from that point on it was bad news. Fuel leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks....bad misfire." your words
    all im saying if your're new to the 1st and 2nd Gen think twice before taking your bike to a shop...

16. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    You're still not getting it.
    I didn't take my bike to any "shops". I took them to separate older generation guys who owned and repaired different generation VFR's.

2 guys from 2 separate message boards who even live in 2 separate countries.

If we cant trust fellow members and VFR owners, then who can we trust? Would you hesitate to let Toe Cutter or JamieD work on your bike? Of course not.
    But at some point in the past someone took a chance on them and they delivered.

Unfortunately the people who I took my bike to (as full of good intentions as they were) didn't deliver.

My luck I guess.

17. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Any good mechanic can fix a 1st Gen or a 2nd Gen. These V-4s are complicated on the top end. But there are manuals and internet resources to help out. That said, finding a good mechanic who knows these bikes is waaay better than finding a good mechanic who doesn't.

The key is finding a good mechanic. I took mine to a bad mechanic once - lesson learned!

That said, who can afford a mechanic bill on a bike that is virtually worthless on the market?

18. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Agreed!

...and how does one really know a mechanic is a good mechanic?

For example. The guy who did a great job on my 1st gen (and another VFRWORLD members bike) buggered up my 2nd gen. Even after giving him chances to correct his mistakes there were no results.

In the end I ended up having to replace EVERYTHING.

The biggest lesson I have learned from that 2nd gen is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :tongue:

19. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    well for one I would let TOECUTTER work on my bike without hesitation.... and as far as mechanics that Know older VFR's there are three here in Santa Barbara... all three are over the age of 50 and all of them come highly recommended... so as for there not being anyone that knows how to work on VFR/VF thats a crock pot of gator poop.....now along with theses three guys knowledge comes a nice size price tag.... not to outrageous but a bit steep..