Gipro gear indicator

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by speedpoker, Jun 6, 2009.

1. v-4 pilot

v-4 pilot New Member

Map
    DG-8 Digital gear indicator

I integrated one of these into the dash of my 98' it was difficult only because I wanted a factory look I shoe horned it in where the neutral light goes, but for me it was worth it. My dash has blue LEDS so I went with a white indicator looks nice.

2. Duo Rider

Duo Rider New Member

Soundwave,

Many thanks for the photos/post. I have just fitted the G1pro to my 2008 VFR and it all worked out well.

My only comment is that I found getting the upper meter panel off without damage somewhat of a pain in the arse and would not look forward to a roadside fuse change in the middle of the night.

This panel hides some significant fuses.........
    1. 20A FAN
    2. 10A CLOCK
    3. 10A TURN. HORN.
    4. 10A START. BANK ANGLE SENSOR.
    5. 20A HEADLIGHT.

The owner's manual on P127 does not give you these details and merely says ........
    "The fuse box is located under the right inner panel. The specified fuses are 10A, 20A"

Thanks again.

Scott

3. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    Question, is it quick? In other words, does it have a delay where it has to wait until I let out the clutch, or does it read it as you shift, even if shifting down several gears at once?[/QUOTE]

The indicator compares wheel speed to engine speed to determine what gear the bike is in. Therefore, it doesn't have a clue as to what is going on while the clutch is pulled in. It is still handy though. If I know that I am in 5th instead of 6th, I know how many shifts I have to make to get to 3rd etc.

4. steven113

steven113 New Member

can you post a pic of your display?? Not interested in a gear indicator but looking for a place for a voltage display...

5. MasqUAP

MasqUAP New Member

Map
    Digging up and old post, but does it often crack a mental and search for what gear it's in? I'd like to install one on my 98 VFR but I used to ride an R6 that struggled to decide what gear it was in and just have a little spinning animation on the display which made it fairly pointless (in lower gears from what I remember). I didn't install the R6's gear indicator and only rode it a few time but found it pretty spotty

-Dave-

6. Duo Rider

Duo Rider New Member

Dave,

I fitted the indicator to help with low speed work around town and the numerous "off camber" roundabouts. It has proven to be quite quick to change once the clutch is let out and does not waver. I don't think that you will regret it.

Installation is fairly straight forward. See my comments on the upper meter panel.

Scott

7. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Has anyone installed the GiPro on a 5th gen?

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Useless device, never understood the need. They have one for the 5g, so I'm sure someone has flushed their money down that drain.

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Do they have a rig for Goldwings to show when one is in reverse?

10. Parker VFR

Parker VFR New Member

Not sure if this helps, but here's a video, and you can see there's a slight delay after actual shift prior to showing the right gear number. Different bike, but it should work similarly.
    YouTube - ‪Heal Tech GIPRO (Gear Indicator) Installation 2007-2008 Kawasaki Z1000‬‏

11. Spike

Spike New Member

I have the Acumen one, not the GiPro, same idea; look nearly identical. I got the one that also works as a voltmeter, so I have battery voltage and gear in one place. Anyway, for those looking for ease of installation, Acumen makes bike specific harnesses, so no need to splice. You just unplug one connector, and then plug each side to the Acumen harness, very easy, very clean, easy to remove if you wanted to down the road. No worries about another splice in your wires.

12. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
  13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    "Gear fab!"

Ringo

14. Spike

Spike New Member

Echo3 - there is a slight, delay, at least with the Acumen; not long mind you. As I understand it it, and I haven't looked too into it, is that it is just doing a simple calculation of your speed vs. your RPM; so it isn't really looking at what gear you are in like a BMW gear indicator. So it can be wrong occassionally, but usually only for a moment.

sound - I assume you mean to sink it under the dash so the face was flush with the surface? If so, then no, there was not enough room. Keep in mind I have the larger one with the Voltmeter, so I might be wrong about the smaller one with just the gear indicator, but I am pretty sure when I did the install -- because I wanted to do the same thing, there was not enough room even for the smaller one. I put mine flat against the dash, and drilled a hole for the cable to go thru. To make it as clean as possible.

15. 300kmh

300kmh New Member

I just installed my GIPRO directly onto the Tach face in the empty space between 0 and 13. Fits perfect and the wire tucks nicely up and under the dash. Plugin was easy just above the right radiator. tuning was wierd as it made the bike idle all funny - but immediately ran normal once it was done learning.

Works very well except when you are slowing down and shift down but don't let the clutch out between gears. It wont display the updated gear position until the clutch is let out.

Cheers

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  16. captmikejd

captmikejd New Member

United States
    Usually Florida when I am actually in the US
    Gearpro night lighting question?

Thanks for all the info guys. Can any of you tell me what the illumination is like at night? I'm concerned that if it is bright enough for daylight reading that it could be nearly blinding at night?
    Any of you have any thoughts or impressions on that?
    The Italian one boats that it auto-dims.
    Cheers,
    Mike

17. sound wave

sound wave New Member

Mine has never been an issue of being "too bright" at night. I never gave it much thought, but I am sure if it was blinding me I would remember that.

18. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    can someone give an opinion of which one is better acumen or the gipro? I would have to assume that one of them is faster either while a shifting or downshifting once the clutch is out?

19. V4 Dude

V4 Dude New Member

Wow, nice to see a 3 1/2 year old thread be brought back up for discussion. When I first got my VFR back in 2009, I saw this thread and gave some consideration to installing either the Acumen or GiPro indicator. Here it is over 5 years later and I still haven't bothered putting one on.

Initially, I found the only time I was missed not knowing what gear I was in was when I was in 6th gear and try to go to 7th on the highway. As I put in more hours riding my VFR, I found that if I just remember two points of speed vs RPM, I no longer make that mistake of trying to shift past 6th gear.

I look at the tach a if I'm at 60mph the tach will read 4,000 RPM, if I'm at 75mph the tach will read 5,000 rpm. It might sound like too much thinking compared to a digital indicator but now it's just second nature for me.

I still would like it if Honda would have put gear position and battery voltage on the dash from the factory but at least now I don't miss it so much.

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I had GiPro on my '03 and it worked well. Only downside is that bike has to be in motion (rear wheel turning) to indicate gear. So if you are sitting at a light, it won't tell you what gear you are in, you just need to check as you slow down.
    [​IMG]
    I mounted it on the dash bezel, stationary indication.