Getting past the psychological effects of a crash???

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Wheatchex, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  2. Badbilly

United States

"Just say no to gravel".

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You need to find the bastard that stole your EX and punch him in his bread basket. Seriously though, as much as I love my "gear-drive" whine and feel of those v-fours, my little EX hauls my arse around pretty good, was a good race bike too.

If you fall, you get up and ride again. Longest lay off was when I had a cast on my hand, I think I still tried riding though, biggest problem was getting my hand through the sleeve a jacket. Anyway, your in charge of your mind/brain, don't let it tell you what to do, riding is in your blood, plain and simple. Cheers and happy safe riding.

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Got to thinking about my reply. Brian crashed because of conditions, not lack of skill. We take a risk every time we ride. It's just part of the experience.

5. Wheatchex

Wheatchex New Member

United States
    Yes it was conditions and riding over my head at that instant. Looking back it is easy to see where I made my mistakes. Riding over my head, too fast for conditions (construction warning signs and previously ridden by gravel in road along the stretch I was riding) (coming down hill from sun into shade and sharp right hand corner with gravel unpaved construction area in my lane) I slowed but not sufficiently, grabbed a bit of front brake and felt wheel start to slip, let go of brake and then panicked I wasn't going to make it then full brakes and down I went. Totally my fault. Fortunately no one was coming from the other direction. Was wearing all gear but riding pants. Fortunately my shoulder armor and riding jacket took the brunt of the fall and saved my skin big time. I have been through the MSF basic class and have been reading Hough's books. I agree it will take time and I am riding as much as I can although with it being winter, I'm not really wanting to ride in the snowy NE Ohio area.
    Brian

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    As mentioned above track days are exceptionally good at learning and building confidence. Long ago I did several track days in the rain. At first I was going to say screw it, I'll ride another day but after talking to a lot of more experienced riders I decided to give it a go. Very light rain and no standing puddles made it a perfect day to learn. After a couple of sessions I was getting use to the bike moving around a bit, worked on being smooth with all inputs. Confidence built as the day went on and before the day was over I could drag knee in the rain. Day 2 built more confidence and I had the bike moving around a lot more. I had a couple of oh shit checks but they were good for me too. These days left me with a lot more confidence and understanding for street riding. Most of the You Tube videos I see of crashes that could have been avoided by just not panicking, abrupt inputs (especially the rear brake) and just having confidence in what you and the bike can do. So if you find yourself at a wet track embrace it, check the ego at the door and build some new skill sets.

7. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Now the truth comes out ;)

You omitted these details in your first post. That's a little different than simply "going through a corner with gravel in it".

I'm upgrading my assessment to "conditions, with a considerable lack of judgement".

Been there.

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Done that...as well.construction signs...First clue....

9. Badbilly

United States

Can't promise a lot of gravel or signs but if anyone is looking for a wet track, Both PIR's have all the wet you want.

10. Wheatchex

Wheatchex New Member

United States
    Yes it was a lack of judgement, crash speed was roughly 20ish as the road was pretty tight. Even so appreciate the comments and suggestions.
    Brian

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Dude, we've all been there, I just put my Staintunes on my Duc and while I low sided and was sliding all I could think of was ,........, MY PIPES.... you'll get over this sooner or later. Just tryin to make light of the situation. Re-read every reply, I found it very educational hearing all my well talented friends and racers back in the early 80's telling me all the mistakes and crashes over the years and took notes, of course in the midst of consuming LOTS of beers, and just would read it every day.
    I like BB's back in the saddle again much better, showin my age a tad.....dam, where's my walker........ :eek:

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Some old fookar at Reggie's had it in the spring

DSC06571.jpg

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Dang gumit pa

14. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    Something that helped me is dirt riding. At first I panicked whenever I saw dirt on the road or felt the bike squirm a bit in slippery conditions. After getting a dirt bike and getting used to slipping and sliding, I find I'm more confident when dealing with low traction on the street as well. People look at you funny when you're riding your GSXR down a gravel road in Death Valley with a bunch of adventure bike types, but hey, it's got the power to slide those turns! It weighs a lot less than those big Beemers, too. Fun!

15. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ya, you need to become one with the gravel. Learn to love the dirty! Get a 250cc two smoke and throw her down in the corners on purpose a few times.

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly. .makes for a better street rider

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I still ride a CR 250, love the smoker.

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Mine was oil, not gravel on the Angeles Forest Crest in '85. Someone had blown an engine or bad oil leak and center of road was black with oil, crossed over from left to right for upcoming corner and down she went, no time to think or react. Week later we took a long ride up to Kings National Forest, but I am still wary of slippery corners.