Get your knee down on a VFR?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Yakima9, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Yakima9

Yakima9 New Member

United States
    I just got a '96 VFR. I have been riding a '90 Honda NT650 for the past 2 years. I'm working on getting my knee down on the Hawk and wondering if it is possible on the VFR? I've been riding the VFR more and starting to get more comfortable off the bike. I'm running a newer pair of Michelin Roads on the Hawk and I'm pretty sure the VFR has the stock Dunlop Sportmax's on it. I'm going to get a pair of Road CT2's for the VFR this winter. Just wondering your thoughts...Anyone with other gen's welcome to comment!

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ask Reg71 and Tori to see their knee sliders ....

3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, you can get your knee down on a 4th gen.

BZ

4. tonydig11

tonydig11 New Member

I have a 6th gen. When I went to deals gap this spring I was for sure I would get my first knee down. It did not happen. I draged the exhaust headers, rear break pedal, and my peg feelers are all the way ground down but no knee down. I was hung off all the way I could and my buddys say its just hovering over the ground. Im pretty sure its because my legs are so short. not sure.

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  6. betarace

betarace New Member

beg to differ.

it is very possible, and I have done so on may occasions, went thru my pics and while this isnt "conclusive poof" due to the photographer's timing, you can see it's very possible. It is a little hairy and I would recommend doing it only on the track.

parts do drag, crank up preload to the max and ignore the peg feelers grinding

[​IMG]

7. t120rmike

t120rmike New Member

If you're dragging a knee on the street, you're riding beyond your ability to do so safely. What about dirt, cows, birds, fuel ect... Not safe. Go to a track.

And when you do, you'll find yourself lapped embarassingly by guys with little angle nowhere near dragging a knee. Dragging a knee is not the end all of riding fast or well.

Just my 2 cents.

:unsure:

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    You are a can of worms dude - a lot of us here live for attacking the twists and sometimes its just fun to get a knee down. We do it for ourselves and accept responsibity for the risk. Hell riding a cycle has risks period. Its my decision and my ass, and I will judge the relative safety of the situation. You cannot make that call for me. I could give a crap about some other rider lapping me or not. Worry about your own riding.

BTW your riding a ZRX1200R - whadya doing here?

MD

9. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yo Mello Dude - as usual I totally agree with you. Further I do some advanced rider training, and if you ride on the track you can drag a knee and lap other riders who are sweeping turns (the kawi guy much not watch MotoGP racers). People who cannot drag a knee or who are too afraid to drag a knee try to knock it but so what. There are not too many guys I know who would be on a public road with traffic trying to ride like they are on a track so when it is time to hit the twisties I am gonna put it down. You can even setup a practice area with cones and markers to practice dragging a knee. You do not have to go fast to drag a knee. Also, who asked a Kawi guy anything anyway.

10. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I was obsessed with dragging a knee too, but I figure it will happen with time. I think I just need to hang off a little more and stick out my leg a bit more. As far as Kawi Mike is concerned, he is wrong. We all know hanging off the bike a bit, or more, actually decreases lean angle, therefore improving tire grip and riding stance. Some of those pics of riders in Stuka's links above show some fairly poor rider position ie: rider leaned oposite direction of the bike.

Draggin a knee - not going fast at all. (see link)
    YouTube - Knee Drag Practice

11. Yakima9

Yakima9 New Member

United States
    That is a cool video ZonaMan. Defiantly like the idea of practicing in a parking lot. I agree that there is a time and place to be riding more aggressively. Getting your knee down can be done safely with the appropriate gear, the right situation, and proper riding position.

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I slide my butt around and stick my knee out to reduce the bike's lean angle in corners. It's enhances the traction and is just flat more fun than sitting motionless on the seat like a spud. I have never viewed knee dragging as the objective and I have never dragged a knee on my VFR. However, it can be done. If that's what you want to do.

13. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

United States
    Map
    Can a VFR be ridden in a manner in which touching a knee is appropriate?

YouTube - Freddy Spencer on a Honda VFR V-tec

Of course you can drag your knee on a VFR. Up to you to decide if it is wise or not, but take responsibility if it goes wrong.

I think of it like this- when I carry a gun for defensive concealed carry (24-7 where legal) I know that if I ever need to use the weapon, I am responsible for every round that comes out the muzzle- and every one has a lawyer attached. So even if circumstances arise in which it is justified for me to draw and fire, the fact that it's justified in the eyes of the law does not take away my responsibility for what happens if I miss and strike an innocent person or piece of property.

If you screw up on a public road dragging a knee, your projectile is your bike- and YOU are responsible if that causes a problem for someone else. It is YOUR responsibility.

Since I have not yet encountered a situation where touching a knee has been neccessary on a public road in the presence of other motorists, and I choose not to do that, I decrease the risk that I may have to take responsibility for something unfortunate. Deserted roads? Different story.

I was looking at some other YouTube video of people practicing knee dragging on obviously British roundabouts.

YouTube - Knee down practice time

If you watch, you will note that cage traffic has a predictably panicked reaction to seeing this on the street. Watch the second turn, and the cager who hits his brakes HARD. Watch how the other cagers react.

Think about the potential consequences to this kind of behavior, then make your decision.

14. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Why anyone would want to touch their knee street riding is beyond my comprehension and I certainly don't condone that, but carving your favorite canyon is a different story. I think this thread was intended and meant to inquire whether riders are touching their knee on extremely twisty, non-urban road, or on a track.

15. wkenneth1

wkenneth1 New Member

16. Yakima9

Yakima9 New Member

United States
    Very true.

17. Mac

Mac New Member

Never have drug a knee, or a peg, on the VFR, but could reach out and touch the pavement with my hand? I have this much edge, !....! untried on my Conti Road rear.

Mac

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    While it is ok to work on your form when cornering .. I wouldn't push getting a knee down on the street. Most streests are built for cars 94tires) not bikes.
    too many road hazards. Not to mention the quality of the pavement. I get way over when attacking but keep it in check because of the road quality.

Tracks are a better place to do this. Also if you walk the track befor riding you get to have a feel for the track and you will know what is going to happen in the corner unlike on the street.

Good luck and have fun...

19. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

20. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

I saw Reg Pridmore do it for 2 days straight at Road America a few years ago........... even with a passenger! Impressed the shit out of me! :pop2: