Gen 5 - many regard as the best example of the breed ?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by John451, Oct 3, 2016.

1. SML

SML New Member

Australia
    Thanks for the info. My 12/1999 build VFR has the wax unit, metal mirrors and as the serial number indicates it as an 2000 model.

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Personally think the gen 5 looks best in your Candy Tahisian blue. When searching for a gen 5 in '05 to replace my early build vtec was after an '01 build in that color but then stumbled upon a '99 50th Anni with only 3000kms on the clock in as new condition so impossible to pass up.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, Bummmer, we state side for some unbeknown reason never saw that version over here :(

4. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Bit late to the party,

Having owned a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th gen I will put my opinion down that the 4th gen VFR is the best. Full disclosure I currently own a 5th gen VFR800. Its a great bike but I miss my 4th gen terribly.

The 4th gen has more Torque and midrange than the VFR800's.
    4th gen has less complex braking system.
    Doesn't run so hot at slower speeds thanks to a rad in the front.
    Better Gauge cluster (that's definitely a matter of opinion)
    You don't have to try and find an earlier model 4th gen header to get one without a cat.
    No flapper or O2's to mess around with.
    The 5th/6th gen Rotors seem to warp easier. Lots of posts about members bending them straight. Never heard that with the 750's
    NACA DUCTS
    4th gen seems easier to work on. Fairings don't have so many little plastic bits and bobs

Some Pro's about the 5th gens over the 4th:
    -Bit more powah (only when you wind it out)
    -Larger Brakes
    -Nicer rear wheel
    -More options for rear tire size
    -Easier to tune FI (unless you're a carb guru)
    -Headlights seem to be a bit better designed
    -More modern styling (Matter of personal opinion if thats a good thing)
    -It's called the "Interceptor" again

Also IMO the 6th gen is a step down from the 4th and 5th gens. If I were to rate the VFR's I owned it would go:

1st: 1997 VFR750
    2nd: 2000 VFR800
    3rd: 1986 VFR750
    Distant 4th: 2005 VFR800

My old VF500 and the 6th gen I owned are too different to compare

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I can agree with what you wrote there Slowbird. I miss my 4th, I too, lol, have a 5th cuz it way it was too good a deal pass over. It is only after a bit of tweaking it's now right there with the 4th , and since i have a cure for the brakes its ok now. all though minor, I Still don't care for the gauge cluster. Stock to stock IMO yea a 4th wins. Again just a matter of opinion

6. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    What was your cure for the brakes? Did you De-Link them?

Exactly! Everyone has a different opinion and everyone's entitled to have 'em. :cool:

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, de link parts are on the counter, now to get healed up so I can swap em out. ;)

8. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I feel a bit vindicated. I had an older 6th gen and my current 5th gen sided by side for comparison. Don't get me wrong I loved the 6th get but I loved my 5th gen more. Plus I had the upgrade that suited my riding style. I sold the red 6th gen on and the new owner couldn't be happier with it and i am still tickled with my Y2K machine. Just give me that gear whine any day!

9. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    There are non stop horror stories, on this site, of the night mares of carburators. The fuel injection on the 5 is just about perfect, even with an aftermarket exhaust.

The linked brakes arent my first choice, but they work just fine. I look at them as a kind of primitve anti lock.

Delkevic, catless headers are readily available, stainless, modestly priced. E ery one with a G5 should have one!

10. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm not replying to this in defense of the 4th gen...more of a devils advocate.

My 4th gen needed ZERO carb work, and the fueling of the carbs is like butter compared to the FI and throttle of the 5th/6th gens.

Depending on your expertise, or the person that works on your bike. Some would rather work on carbs. Some would rather work on FI.
    Its a matter of opinion.

It is generally regarded that, though the Delkevic exhaust has no cat, they are inferior to 98/99 stock headers due to poor merges and flow design.

So no....not everyone with a 5th gen should get a set of Delkevic headers for their bike.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea a chuckle here, the carbs on the 4th I had where every bit as good as today's FI. LOL remember some good ole chats with Norcal on this very subject, unstintingly carb gurus are hard to come by, where FI today is plug and play, now no fuss no think about it, let the ECU figure it out ;) ain't tech fun. smh.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Pictures riteaid 010.jpg

I mostly lost interest in new VFRs after they ditched the carbs. :uncomfortableness:

I have everything i could need or desire in my '97.

13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    [​IMG]

14. ws6transam

ws6transam New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been riding my yellow '00 VFR800FI for four years now, and do so on a weekly basis. I ride it pretty much whenever there isn't ice on the street, and lowest temp I've ridden in is 5 degrees F.

The bike gets 48 mpg when I ride it easy, always starts at all temperatures, I can cruise through town with the tach sitting on 2500 rpm with no issues, and it'll whiz down country roads at almost triple the speed limit...

About the only beef I have is the clutch shudder, meaning I probably need some heavier springs or something... That, and I may need to consider servicing the fork oil.

In any event, it does everything I want so well, and it still looks awesome enough to get people to stop and ask me about it when I am near the campus. I've looked at other bikes in the past four years, but just can't seem to visualize myself on anything else. What is it about this bike that makes me want to hold onto it forever? It does everything well, and the sound is amazing!

15. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Slow, if there was a "Heavy and Ugly" contest for headers, the black "iron" pipes of a G5 VFR, would be undefeated.

I am willing and eager to line up with anyone with a nearly stock 99. We'd put your "generaly reguarded" to the test.

Attached Files:

16. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map

Yeah those Delvics are mighty sweet looking, I'll readily admit to that.

I'm sure they will look great compared to stock 98/99 factory headers.

Whether they'd outperform them is another story altogether.

HOWEVER, the point is on the 4th gens you don't have these discussions. You don't have to go out and look for 98-99 headers or buy Ebay clones of them (i.e Delvic/Motard) You just turn the key and gooo

I'm not trying to poop all over the 5th gens. I'm just showing many reasons why the 5th imo is NOT the "very best example of the breed".
    That would be the 4th gen IMO.

I've read articles that praised the VFR's but said how the 800's and introduction of the FI, and linked brakes was a step in the wrong direction.

17. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Odd. It's not a common issue with the 5th gens (or any VFR as far as I know)

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Fifth gens get clutch slip and need new plates sooner. 6th gen clutches last forever but have juddering. Basically 5th gens had an ideal plate to spring ratio. 6th gen have way to much plate area and not nearly enough spring.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I thought the 3rd gens had the stupid resonator box chamber header and fourth gens had normal headers, so the 4th gen headers were great upgrades for third gens.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

20. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Interesting. Another mark against the newer model VFR's. 4th gens had no such issues.

I wouldn't know what the 3rd gen exhaust looked like as it is the only "older" gen VFR I haven't owned (yet), but yeah I also remember reading that the 4th gen headers were an upgrade for the 3rd gens. Good point.