Garmin Zumo GPS thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jasonsmith, Nov 3, 2009.

Tags:
?

What do you have?

1. Zumo 550

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Zumo 660

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Older Zumo

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Want to get a Zumo.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

THat would be DRTBK...something like that. Good poster on the Zumo forums and Advrider.

These tracks features are much better than the 550 now. Tracks are handy off road especially if there are no roads in the mapsets where you are exploring. It also allows you to have multiple tracks displayed on a map. If you are just going on road only there is no reason really to upgrade at least in terms of Navigation.

So far the 660/665 have seen the same pace of early development/updates as when the 450/550 first came out. Most likely there will not be any new features on the older Zumo platforms.

If you go off road the 660/665 is clearly the better platform although the 550 has an off road mode too.

2. HzE

HzE New Member

Finland
    Map
    Does anyone know if I'll be able to attach Zumo 220 with a similar part?

3. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Yep, this mount works with all ram mounts and I can only assume that your 220 comes packaged with one. The 66X versions come with all the ram mounts so your 220 should as I well, I hope.

4. HzE

HzE New Member

Finland
    Map
    The website just tells that the motorcycle mount is included. Sadly I haven't found as good review about it as you did of the 660. Maybe something for the future... :cool:

5. lelievre down under

lelievre down under New Member

I got a ram mount but it is one with a rubber chock that squeezes tight as you wind up the alen key. It mounts into the triple clamp. Just had to take out the black stopper that was on the bike and push it in. Really neat - doesn;t affect balance at all and doesn;t get in the way of the tank bag. Only $20 aussie from GPSOz.com

6. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 760. The only good advice I can give is, if you want to power a GPS of the bikes power and you are using a RAM mount that doesn't have the contacts in it to match up with the unit, you can power it through the USB port. Here's the catch though, the default power output on USB is 500ma. So when you plug it into your computer, the GPS recieves 500ma and automatically goes into down load mode. To stop it from going into computer download mode it needs 1 amp . What I did was bought a 1 amp cigarette lighter to USB plug, than ran a USB cable from the cigarette lighter/USB adaptor to the Garmin.

This next point is very important!. If you are powering your GPS from the bike, and plugging the audio output into an Autocomm etc make sure you use THIS cable. The box on this cable matches the impedance on the GPS to the Autocomm. Failing to do this will cause the audio output amp to shit itself!

7. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Two updates out recently. Firmware 3.90 was released really quickly to take care of some big issues that surfaced with 3.80. I'm still having my BT MP3 freezes though so Garmin has failed there.

There was also a BlueTooth update released before 3.90 to address other concerns.

8. Gerrys02800

Gerrys02800 New Member

I have a possible deal in the works to move from a "paper GPS with yellow marking" to a more current Zumo 220. Owner is about to sell his bike and will sell the GPS by itself. sit, wait and see.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. golf144

golf144 New Member

Which on to buy?

ZUMO 500 or 550?

Buying S/H which one should I buy? & what to look out for.

Also whats a fair price?

Your input please.

Thanks