From the desk of Robert Strong, confessions of a possible NC-21 resurrector

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Robert Strong, Feb 20, 2020.

1. One Ida 31

One Ida 31 Insider

United States
    Visalia in the People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Map
    And you do have a cool cat...

Robert Strong likes this.
  2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Can you make different linkages?

3. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    I understand now i was assembling a motorcycle no-one wanted, the nimble aggressive NSR chassis, with a VFR engine. And this is why Honda never made it even though with so little effort they could of done it, it was unwanted . So i put the parts on trademe, New Zealand's version of Craiges list. I've got $NZ250 for the engine package and $NZ$50 for the chassis. Both have sold, the engine will be used to power a water pump in the Waikato and the chassis with be used in RG50 racing, i got NZ$50 for it including the 17 inch whee;s and suspension. Thank you VFR forums for the encouragement, but i see my plan and vision was doomed at at the start, sorry for that.

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    don't worry about it - we all like tinkering too...

5. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Heya

Diving Pete, again up with a total winner, even if I have no intention of using it. Though i totally understand what you are saying.

i want to extend the caps of the front fork caps by 8mm of clamping circumference, then the steering head lock nuts will be reduced by 1 mm thickness for the lower nut and 2 mm thickness for the lock nut on top.

lowering the effective top of the front fork legs 11 mm.

i'll move the engine 2 mm to the right, clearance the frame to suit, hoping for a 6 mm of clearance, which overs a 2:1 ratio with the steering head of clearance with the front tire/engine interface plus, plus more vectors..

Check the clearance and if i have to, see how much i can take out of the front rocker to make this a reality.

So 11mm from the hearing head to the clamps, plus 16mm plus plus from the max engine tilt.

May God forgive me

Take it easy

Robert

6. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Hello all

Man, it sucks to be given solid advice and totally ignore it, well i think i did, it's hard to really know.

But going over my posts on this thread, i noticed a posting from Terry Smith to check the front wheel clearance by removing the tops of the front forks and sliding the upper fork leg down till it bottoms out. This he felt would give a more accurate measure of the possible front tire/engine interface then my slide the forks entirely though the triple clamps till the lower fork dust seal bottoms out on the bottom edge of the lower triple clamp.

I had made an assumption and used a completely worse case scenario, that the was enough travel in the suspension for the dust seal and the lower face of the triple clamp to touch under extreme loads.

Terry was completely correct

[​IMG]

The suspension appears to bottom out about 21 mm from the lower edge of the lower triple clamp.

I'm not sure if i saw the posting before and just ignored it because i was stuck on transmit, or just over looked the posting as it was on the bottom of the first page.

Either way Thank you very much Terry.

I'm glad i didn't go hammer and thongs now. As i get older I often get that feeling when the solutions I come up with become more and more complex that I have over looked something. And as much as i want to kick ass I need to slow down and think more before i act , there is no time crunch on this what ever it is.

Cheers

Robert

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'll admit, I'm still not entirely convinced I understand what you are doing. But, I do enjoy looking at the pictures.

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I guess I'm chopped liver then. :)

Terry Smith and Robert Strong like this.
  9. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Man, i'm sorry as, i saw you had said the same thing after I wrote the message thanking Terry.

So here is a thanks to you as well.

Cheers

Robert

Terry Smith likes this.
  10. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Avast me scurvy dogs

Havn't done alot on the bike physically lately. As this is the sort of stuff that happens if I move faster than I can think.

[​IMG]

I've reached the point by cantering the engine back on it's rear engine mount (which appears for all intent and purposes appears the same as rear mount on the NSR250 engine) Perhaps they used the same jig with that as a data point when designing the . Dunno mite.

The front wheel interferes with the front cylinder head cover At 23 mm from the bottom triple clamp.

I've got 3-4 mm of clearance to find. And then I can concentrate on the next issue.

And yeah, Terry the standard guard will not fit so i'll have to relieve it.

I'd love to get some flat slides for it. PM if you have any that are up for deals.

Cheers

Robert

11. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Drats.....

I have not been inundated with offers of free flat slide carburetors. Where the ___ is the love, people?

I need another 3mm of front tire clearance after trimming up what was left of radiator supports on NSR, It's clear to me modifying the rear engine mount is off the table.

I feel the only forward is to continue to rotate the engine backwards on this rear engine mount to get the required clearance.

The engine and the chassis at this point now touch. Decisions have to be made on how and what to remove to give clearance so the wheel can not touch the engine in it's operational range.

I was prepared to sacrifice alot when I thought I had to find 27mm of clearance. Between the front wheel and the front cylinder head cover.

Thanks to the efforts of people here I understand my method to measure this clearance was deeply flawed, thanks Capt. 80's and Terry, if I had of carried on with out the wisdom they gave me, I dread to think. I really would given up alot of the purity of the experience of a what a motorcycle would be like if you combined the NSR chassis with a VFR400 engine. My original plan before their help would of involved lengthening the wheel base and increasing the rake.

Now the NSR's geometry is safe from my butchorious method, it's steering and suspension mechanisms will operate as intended when they were manufactured by honda. It will be used for the first time with completely standard 28 year old suspension. I think it's possible it may require some modification due to the bikes increase in static weight and me being a fat bastard.

This motorcycle will never carry a pillion, so that gives me more freedom than honda had when it was spec'ing the suspension.
    I think the increase in bike weight and me being unsvelte should still be less than the weight of what they considered two pillions.
    And i'm sticking with that...lol, till something bottoms out or gets close.

So fragments of bike need to be removed, because i'm unwilling leave it so it is theoretically possible that in the front suspensions travel within it's prescribed designed limits and at any possible steering position the front wheel may touch anything unintended by the designers of the NSR.

The rear cylinder exhaust would appear to have to now fit in the 25mm gap between the swing arm and the engine casing. Plus the standard o/d of the exhaust tube is 35 mm, I need a small air gap and clearance to accommodate some sort of thermal wrap. As I think heat sinking into the swing arm should be avoided. And should switch to lubricate for the swing arm bearing that is rated to deal with a temperature increase.

I either, use the time honored tradition of beating the jesus out of it till it fits, it does.

or do i make something that has a different section than the original exhaust tubing but has a similar cross sectional area, while changing to a section round to rectangular and back to round again.

The standard exhaust system less front cylinder header pipes was about 6kg, i think an all up weight of 7kg. This has to be the place where I can make the cheapest loss in a weight loss/spend, ratio.

looking at the standard exhaust the headers appear mandrill bent and of course the interface between the pipe and the engine was honda quality, so i think I'll just adapt what's there and what isn't i'll make/buy the individual bits i want, the standard system looked good, it looked well designed and robust.

What ever ends up on there, the system will be based on the use of the standard headers and header fittings, but the collector back can go.

El Berto

12. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Hello Fellow riders on the storm

Today's game is 'guess what that object is?" Bonus points for additional details noted that go beyond and above the call of duty.

Well get ready, the Cannon group has issued you a dare

What is this object?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some music to go with it.

13. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Thought it was an FZR600, but the frame is wrong. Could only find one image of a frame that matched that one, and it was on a project thread for a FZR400/RD500. I didn't even know the RD500 existed. I want an RD500.

That radiator on that thing also looks massive. There's a lot going on on that machine. Curious to know more.

Attached Files:

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    FZR400RR SP
    1992 - 1993

15. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    I'm afraid i'll need some more, but you are the closest so far.

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Close enough for me. And very cool.

17. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Captain 80's, i would not of picked a legend like yourself to give up so quickly.

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I've ridden a couple EXUP FZR400R and they are magical. The vinyl-covered brick called a seat not so much. Also spent a little time on a FZR400R with a FZR600R motor in it. That was a nice package too.

19. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    getting closer, man, i knew you had more

20. Robert Strong

Robert Strong New Member

New Zealand
    Heya All

Apart from the legendary Captain 80's, the sites efforts to identify 'the object' has been piss poor, at best so far.

So i'll throw you a bone: 'What is covering the left hand side of the crankshaft?"

Cheers

Bob the Magnificent