The first time i saw the bike was on facebook's market place. I asked if it was still for sale, about 3-4 weeks later they got back to me and said it was. They explained it was a project that didn't happen, they wanted to do a clean out and it had to go. They lived in an isolated part of New Zealand known as Ruatoria, i could see this put alot of people off, the trip there and back was around 11 hours. They said they wanted NZ$250 for it, it was hard to know much about it, but it appeared damaged and missing parts. And the registration had lapsed... 12 years ago. I said i'd be there tomorrow, we left at 2:45am. Being back at around 2pm. When i saw the bike, i didn't really feel anything. It was just this battered VFR400 in the middle of no-where. I immediately offered $300 for the bike. I'm not really sure why i offered more than they wanted, but it totally felt right. As the person selling was counting the money she said her family had been given the bike for helping an elderly man work on his property. The bike had belonged to his son who was currently doing 10 ten years in prison and it had been sitting in his shed for years. I was assured all was good and all parties where informed and consented. I had of course done due diligence before driving there and had a report on the history of the bike as the owner gave me the old plate and VIN number, if it was stolen or had money owing on it, before driving way out there. Yeah, if i had of known all the details, maybe i might not of gone, maybe be i would of. If he wants it back, i'm sure he can find me, and i'll be extremely receptive. I have zero interest in owning something with bad energy around it. My total investment so far is around about $US400 all up. The bike was missing, both axles, the rear coils/leads/mounting bracket, fairings, wind shield, solenoid/leads, fuse box, ignition key unit, instruments, right hand switch block, carb intake trumpets, gear lever pivot, tank key, fuel lines, swing arm chain adjusters and twist grip. The list seems to grow..lol So now i'm working out what to do with it, my efforts focused on seeing if it runs. There is so much wiring missing. I'm currently trying to remake the bits missing in order to see if the engine runs using wiring and plugs i've saved from years ago. With a wiring diagram from the model after mine, that has been translated from Japanese, with well over 50% of the wiring colours wrong. But it is such a massive improvement over the NC-30 wiring diagram that is commonly available on the net. I've spent hours viewing it, i've never thought so deeply about what is electronically going on when i ride a bike till now. I've spent around 30 hours to make the wiring and switches that are missing just so i can try to make the engine run. It is truly some Frankenstein stuff going on there, with other honda, kawasaki, yamaha, ford and hyosung represented. It's weird, i feel like i'm in a battle alone, it's just me, my note book,my muilty meter and me mumbling to myself. I tired to complete and fire it today, but i failed to account for the rubbers that connect the carbs to the head, the years have been hard on them and I lost hours battling with them, they where like rocks. I was getting to the point i was just damaging stuff and had to stop, i'll try again tomorrow. I normally strip the carbs on any bike i get these days, i'm still learning and have made a number of errors with the 3 sets of 250/400 carbs i've cleaned in the last 6 weeks. There seems to be so much to learn about such a simple device. Removing the top off the vacuum chamber, is like hunting for damage. On the 11th top i removed off the vacuum chamber of a CV carb i found this. The tear is maybe 50mm long on one side of the brass locating pin and 30mm on the otherside of it. They had attempted a repair with a glue that was soluble in fuel. So it was like they had pasted them together . There was no seal there. But they had provided me with good piece of diaphragm rubber to attempt a repair with, it just took a couple of hours to clean all the crap off both bits of rubber. I follow some info on the net about repairing the rubber, as it can't be brought anymore. I used a foamable gorilla grip product, someone on the net recon'ed it would bond the rubber and withstand fuel. I did a trial using 7 different combinations of mold wax and PVA release agent, as I just didn't want to deal with the stuff bonding to the carbs and I intend to compress the rubbers bits in the carb while they cured. I winner was wax, wax, wax, as PVA release agent if anything made the gorilla grip bond better when you didn't want it too. I trimed the rubber back into a much narrower shape, and did a complete ring around the top of the rubber, and covering the damage with this ring where it was, and just extending it around the top of the right where there was no damage. So there are four pieces around the circumference of the rubber. here it is after 12 hours And after i trimmed the excess off of rubber that had not bonded. When fitted i couldn't tell it's action from the undamaged 3, but time well tell.