First time rider?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Edag, Jul 19, 2008.

1. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

My bike progression- Suzuki GS450, VF500F, VFR700, 4th Gen VFR (crash-big pause in riding d/t spousal pressures, flying and other life issues), 5th Gen VFR.
    Since we've already sucked you into the VFR dark side, what about a VF500 or 700 as a first bike for a year or so? Lighter, much less financial hit if you drop it, enough power to have fun with, and you still get V-force.

PS where in glorious Cleveland are you?

2. Edag

Edag New Member

You know Andy, this is something I've looked at too. The thing is I can't seem to find any cost effective ones for sale up here in reliable condition =).

Technically I'm east of Cleveland; along the border of Mentor and Concord.

3. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    If you have the patience of a 5 year old, then I would have to say the VFR is a bad choice for a 1st bike. Otherwise, yeah, you can have the VFR as your first bike as long as you give it a lot of respect. Don't be trying burnouts or wheelies on the first day!

The VFR is my first bike and what I would recommend is just ride it on the weekends until you're comfortable to commute with it. Even then go slow.

You can read all the bike riding books and take all the courses you want but still, ultimately, you have to ride the darn bike. Since the bike is on the heavy side, be careful when doing slow maneuvers and even get your foot out. I know getting the foot out isn't the "proper" way but you don't want to spend $300+ on new fairings.

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

YOU DON'T WEAR PANTS WHEN YOU RIDE?!?! Ewwww.... :biggrin:

PANTS:
    You need to work on that.

JACKETS:
    Since you live in the brutal climes of Cleveland, I would say to check out either First Gear or Tourmaster. Both companies make gear designed to go from the low 30's all the way to the high 80's. Joe Rocket is good as well but when it comes to "convertable" riding gear, there are many companies that have them beat. In fact, I have 2 Joe Rocket leather jackets so I am not knocking them in the least. I am selling one of the jackets (long story) for 50% of what it cost new if you are interested. Pics of me wearing it in my gallery.

RAIN GEAR:
    There are so many options it will make your head hurt from looking at them. These choices range from $10 throw-away crap to $150 BMW rain gear. I have a Tourmaster Elite II 1 piece that has never leaked a drop even when walking around a soaking wet MSF range for 6 hours. Tourmaster makes the exact same thing in 2 piece which is much easier to get in & out of.

BOOTS:
    Again, since you live in Cleveland, for which you have my deepest condolencenses, don't even consider a boot unless it's gortex/sympatex/waterproof. I have a pair of Sidi & I love them. They are, however, fantastically expensive so you should be able to find a more than acceptable boot for around $100. Nitro makes a good boot at a great price. Tourmaster is also in the lower end of the price bracket. Your ultra premiums, Sidi, Alpinestars, TCX, etc, you're going to pay for those. My Sidi's were $225 & due to the weakening US$ are now $300.

Altama, Bates & Corcoran makes military style gortex boots for right around $100 that are just fine for riding & have the added bonus of being comfortable for all day walking. Trust me on that. For 75% of the last 16 years, I've worn military boots for at least 10 hours of the day, every day of the work week & lots of weekends to. These boots blow away civilian footwear by a mile. If it was acceptable fashion, I would wear my Corcoran Field Boots everywhere.

GLOVES:
    I never skimp on gloves since your hands are going to take a beating while riding. One rock to the back of the hand courtesy of a passing truck was enough convince me of that. Most of my gloves are Alpinestars or a German company called POLO. I also have a pair of winter armored by Cortech.

HELMETS:
    Please don't go out & buy BRAND X just because a friend or relative has one. You need to find that special one, just for you.

I will say this once so as to not start a helmet war, AGAIN. Go to a dealer, with out even remotely looking at styles or colors, try on EVERY helmet in your approximate size, TWICE. Narrow the field to 3. Try those 3 on again, twice more & narrow it down to 2. Now, try on those 2 for AT LEAST 30 minutes each. Walk around, talk, shake you head, sit on a bike or two, etc. Now, you should have the 1 for you picked out. Now, talk to the dealer about matching internet prices, colors, graphics, extra shields & so on. Remember this, EVERY SINGLE HELMET sold in the USofA that is not a novelty helmet will protect your noggin. Every one of them had to pass DOT certification so it boils down to your personal preference.

Sorry for the over kill but I am sorta a gear guru. Due to my unique position of being a MSF RiderCoach, USAF Sport Bike Coach & Squadron Motorcycle Safety NCO, I am expected to know what I am talking about & be able to back it up.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

5. Edag

Edag New Member

KC, I have to say your posts are most informative and you have absolutely perfect timing. I'm heading out to the dealership today to narrow down the field for my gear. The wife is looking for some ideas for my upcoming birthday and I don't have anything but riding gear on the list.

I'll check out that jacket =)

6. V_to.the.fifth

V_to.the.fifth New Member

Map
    Well as the newbie here, and still a non-VFR owner, all I can say is
    - lots of great advice here
    - I'm considering a VFR800 having already ridden for some 23 years
    - I was always told one huge key for a 1st bike is one where you can sit comfortable and put you feet flat on the ground, there are plenty of times the early rider will find themselves needing to suddenly catch their balence at a stop, and if all you can do is reeach the ground with a toe it can be very easy to drop the bike right over.

7. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    My two cents: ANY bike will get you into serious trouble if you aren't smooth and controlled with braking, steering or throttle input. You can be crippled on the smallest motorcycle. Even a bicycle can cause serious harm without smooth inputs. So, a smaller motorcycle, while a wise first machine, can still kill you. A large motorcycle in and of itself is not necessarily more dangerous. Sure, you can kill yourself faster but it is important to remember the danger and responsibility inherent in anything on two wheels. Get proper tutelage, wear the gear and ALWAYS KEEP YOUR BRAIN TURNED ON. I do suggest a smaller bike at first but I have seen others be lulled into a false sense of security because "it is only a small motorcycle."
    Have fun/be safe!

8. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    About 7 years ago I knew somebody with a cbr 600 and after a few laps around the parking lot I went and got my motorcycle add on to my license. That was the last time I sat on a motorcycle until May when I bought my 04 VFR. I admit it probably wasn't the best first bike only in terms of how much it would cost if I were to lay the bike down. After a few hundred miles I was right at home on the bike. It is a heavy bike but i took my time and rode only during low traffic times. I'm 5'10" and my feet are flat on the ground. There was never a point when I thought I had too much bike to learn on(as long as you never lose respect for the bike). Now with a couple of thousand miles on the bike I couldn't imagine riding anything else.

9. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    I wanted to be clear on my post. I'm not saying a vfr is a good starter bike(although it probably sounds like it). There are a lot of guys on this forum with a lot more experience than myself and they make great points. I'm just saying a vfr was my first bike. My friends say I'm 27 years old going on 40. I'm used to lots of responsibility and was able to keep a level head and not explore the top end speed and power of the bike. And always ride in full gear. I'm sure you'll read all the posts and make the decision that's right for you. Welcome to the forum!

10. V_to.the.fifth

V_to.the.fifth New Member

Map
    I keep seeing people say the VFR is a heavy bike, and it has me confused. To me a heavy bike is something like an ST1100. I see the VFR 5th and 6th Gen coming in only about 24-35 lbs heavier than my Nighhawk, and I have never really thought of it as heavy. Help me out here, when people say it is heavy is that because everything is compared back to a 600 class?

2000 CBR600F4 - 374 lbs.
    1985 Nighthawk 650 - 434 lbs.
    2000 VFR - 458 lbs.
    2004 VFR - 469 lbs.
    2000 ST1100 - 655 lbs.

11. Edag

Edag New Member

I think everyone is talking relative terms. The bike IS heavy compared to the ~300 to 350lbs bikes on the market that are geared to learn on. I think we can all agree the ST is a much bigger bike; and something you wouldn't think of trying to just get on and learn.

My alternative to picking up a bike of my own is to learn on my father-in-law's BMW K1200 ST; but I haven't even considered that to be a smart move in the slightest.

12. Edag

Edag New Member

Well I have to share some amazing news =)

The wife and I headed to the local Harley / Honda shop to look at gear. With my 26th birthday coming up, as I had mentioned all I'm looking for is some riding gear. Long story short while I was sitting on a Viffer talking with the sales rep, the wife headed over to the Harley side. I didn't pay much attention. Anywho after chatting with the sales rep, getting my sizes and trying to find out when I can get into the Motorcycle Safety course we left. I was pretty sad to hear they didn't have any openings until October - when on the way home my cell rang. It wasn't a number I was familiar with.

Ends up the wife went over and talked with the instructor and low and behold a spot opened up later this week =) Thursday through Monday I'll be taking the course, and with any luck I'll be endorsed =) No I just have to pick up some gloves and boots.

13. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

When I said heavy, I was comparing the VFR to the average super sport. The VFR IS NOT a super sport but lots of people like to pretend it is. By sport touring standards, the Concours 14, FJR 1300, ST 1300 & BMW 12's, the VFR is a light heavy weight. Climb off a Yamaha R6 & onto a VFR & it feels like getting out of a Civic & into a Sedan De Ville.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

14. jeff8478

jeff8478 New Member

Not a First Bike

I got my license the day I turned 16 (40 years ago next month) had a Honda 90 and then a BSA Meteor (250, I think) until age about 23 or 24. I hadn't ridden since then unless I count a couple of hours on a scooter in Vietnam with my wife on the back a few years ago.

Then, last year, at age 55, I took the course as a refresher and to get my insurance rates down. I had to get my license back because it had lapsed when I was overseas. Spent a weekend doing the course on a Honda 125 made in Brazil.

Omitting five minutes in the dark just before the snow fell last November, I've been riding the 06 since early this year, with snow still on the ground though not on the roads, and tonight have exactly 5600 km on it. I took it very very easy at first and gradually added power and lean angle. This evening, I went for a one hour tour and found a few opportunities to spend some time in the 7000 to 10000 rpm range. Diving into corners is a blast, though I don't go anywhere near what you would do on the track. Besides, I have to remember my balance and refexes are not what they used to be.

This is an awesome machine but it has to be treated with respect. It's forgiving but the rider has to stay well within his/her limitations and skill level. Having said that, it has to be handled with confidence i.e., make it do what you want it to do. Timidity can get you into just as much trouble as over-confidence.

The eight years of early riding body memory was still there, though dormant, when I got the Interceptor. Without that experience I would not recommend the VFR as a first bike, definitely not, no way, never.

Just an opinion...:smile:

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Unless you can easily shrug off cracked or scratched plastic, ride for one full season on a smaller bike, a 500 or 600.

most riders have GRADUATED to a VFR , not started there and learned lessons which carry over.

For reasons mentioned above, i would never recommed a VFR as a first bike.

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My first ride was and still is an 06 VFR. The course is a no brainer. As far as the bike goes, it is the rider that gets into trouble, not the bike. Just realize you are new, and don't ride beyond the abilities you KNOW you have. Simply put, no common sense, no prolonged life expectancy.

17. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    The 6gen VFR may only weigh 469 pounds, but it feels much heavier. My ACE weighs in at 505 (dry), but feels a lot lighter than my RWB. The VFR is a TALL bike with a high center of gravity adding to the heavy feel.
    As much as I love my RWB VFR, I'd start with something smaller, lighter for a beginner.

18. Edag

Edag New Member

A quick reply before I head up to the bike shop for day 4 of my course.

I'm taking the Harley Rider's Edge / MSF course; using the Buell Blast 500cc single cylinder and its really been an eye opener. Yesterday I spent about 8 hours putting 15 miles on the bike in the course parking lot, learning to manuvers at those speeds, with special attention on good braking and cornering. I'm happy with my performance thus far (I haven't dumped the bike or quit like several other students.)
    My instructors tell me that the VFR is one of the better options if I plan to ride sport-touring due to its weight in the ST class. The only other bike they stated would bea "good start" is a BMW F800 ST (something I've looked at and decided is not for me.)
    Their opinion is that this course is all the "training wheels" I'll need to know how to ride safely without any "good" probability I'll dump the bike. Something we've agreed on thus far is that the sooner I get on a Sport Touring bike the safer I'll be. Applying the "good habits" I learn on the course is much easier if I take them right to the bike I plan on keeping; as opposed to learning how to handle a lighter, more forward leaning or "laid back" riding position. Some food for thought. I want to hear what you guys think.

19. AKmik

AKmik New Member

I work with about 220 people and there are about 40-50 riders who ride everything from 250 DP bikes to big HDs to R1s. I think the guys who have the hardest time learning and lots of issues laying bikes down, are the guys who start off on 600cc race bikes. R is not beginner friendly. Race bikes are much less forgiving than anything going, experience is a must. we have one guy who has just crashed his CBR600 a second time in its first month and now has zero confidence on the bike.

The course is a great refresher and tune up of all the skills needed, most anyway. I have been running down after work on my bike and practicing all the techniques I can remember from the course. where I work they have a truck driving school on the other side of the complex , so big parking lots and cones. I am very comfortable on my 06, and have been using it as a daily commuter since the class.

I am sure there are much better starter bikes, but my buddy said it well.He told me make sure you are going to still want that bike when you get comfortable riding it. He also advised practicing everything you learn in the class on whatever you end up buying. I am really happy with my 06.

20. geronpg

geronpg New Member

KC-10 and the rest of the guys who said start with something smaller and less powerful are right. I started on a CB360, then a CB400F, then a v45 Sabre, now a 04 VFR, w/ a CBX thrown in there in between. You learn the coordination, skills and judgement incrementally - few of us are gifted enough to to straight to a high-performance bike like the VFR, although all bikes are high-performance, compared to autos. There are too many things happening both with you on the bike, and with traffic around you. Your ability to take it all in and make good decisions can only get faster and better with practice. A faster bike speeds all of that up, and you want to make sure you can stay ahead of it.