First Oil Change, and noticed this...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by WGREGT, Jun 30, 2013.

1. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Just did my first oil and filter change on my '07 that I recently bought. I've been seeing a little oil dribble under the front of the engine recently, not big, only about 1"-2" in diameter on my garage floor, but consistent and pretty much every night. So, I was eager to get the left fairing off for the first time and see what's going on.

The bottom of the oil drain bolt was dry, and the filter was dry, but it looked like the rim of the canister (I'm assuming its the charcoal evap canister that's right under the oil filter?) had wet oil on it.
    Also, it looked like there were two nipples on the canister to hook a small hose to, but there was only the small hose on the smaller nipple, which lead right to the ground, right beside the coolant overflow hose and another small overflow hose.

The bigger nipple on the canister did not have a hose on it. Should it? Didn't see one loose anywhere. Also, any reason why it might drip oil?

2. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Check the oil cooler and the hard lines connected to it that should be located between the forks and under your tail light.

3. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

"between the forks and under your tail light" ... wait, what? How's that work :biggrin: ...

ACE

4. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    It's located behind the tail light.

5. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Okaaaaay..thanks for the um...help.

6. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    You mean the head light, lol??

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Any chance you can take a photo of it? That would help for us to make comparisons.

8. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Check for leaks on the oil cooler behind the HEADlight. As far as the evap canister it sounds like it is correct. The left top nippple is open to outside air, the bottom left hose is a drain incase you dump liquid gas into the canister, the right side hoses-one goes to the tank and the other to the throttle body.

9. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

[​IMG]

10. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    2 days of riding, and no leaks yet. Must have been an oil filter than was a bit loose? Though I did have to use a socket wrench to get it off (K&N filter). Speaking of the oil filter, what's with the PITA to put that thing on or take it off with the radiator hoses all over it? There really is no straight shot to easily make contact with the base. Way to go Honda-San, once again!

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That was my experience as well. You do have to maneuver the filter around the hoses to get it in and out. As far as getting to the base of the filter, I think I tried that once upon a time and it was near impossible. What I did was take a new oil filter with me to an auto parts store and I matched it up to an oil filter wrench / cap. Using an extended socket wrench it makes it real easy to loosen and tighten it. You still have to snake the filter through the hoses, but once you establish your method, it is pretty simple.

Also, that is great news about the leak. Hopefully it was just the filter. You never know because some people only hand tighten those things and I have had them loosen up on my car and even my lawn mower. I now hand tighten them and then give them a little extra turn with a wrench just to make sure.

12. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, a K and N filter- I had the exact same issue with one on my 600RR or VFR (can't remember which) a couple years ago. Leak was from the damn welded nut on the cap, Never used one since.