Finally got scheduled for MSF course.

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Junyr, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    Got a June 4th date to take the advanced MSF course. I'm very much looking forward to it.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Let us know how it goes. I've been riding on street for 20+ years and always considered taking the advanced course but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not due to my extensive riding experience.

Rollin

3. brdbluz

brdbluz New Member

United States
    Map
    Training is always a good idea!

4. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

Make sure you unplug a headlight (or both). I uh, know some guy who went to one of those and killed his battery with all the low rpm/idling and multiple starts.
    I went the year I got my VFR after several bike-less years - helpful for low speed maneuvering confidence.

5. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    I took the Military Sport Bike Riders Course which is identical to the ARC and it was very good. I pretty much had new tires at the beginning with a lot of the chicken strip still intact. By the end of the day, there was little left. The course was excellent in teaching techniques for cornering and braking in a controlled environment. Good luck and enjoy.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Define "extensive riding experience" please (I'm not being smart, just want clarification).

BZ

7. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

how does one go about becoming a MSF instructor?

8. k1c

k1c New Member

United States
    Map

Find someone locally that has an MSF school. Let them know that you're interested in becoming a coach. If they say "Yes", then you'll be putting in a number of weekends volunteering to be a range monkey for the rest of this season. Over the winter there'll be a fair amount of bookwork to read and retain, and then in the spring you'll take a weeklong training program of 8 to 10 hr days. If you pass through the training you'll be a novice coach and from then on you'll be expected to teach at least two courses each year to maintain your status.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    For Delaware, MSF recruits from within and outside the class. Then in Spring you go through 3 consecutive weekends of training with alot of homework. On the 3rd weekend you and the othe rtrainees coach a class sunder the watchfull eye of your trainers. If you pass, welcome aboard, if not they cut you loose.

I have to coach a minimum of 5 classes per season (march to November in Delaware).

BZ

10. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States

I'm 37 now and been riding bikes since I was 9 or 10 years old. From the first time I rode that first 80cc two stroke it just felt natural to me. Like many, I started on dirt and probably had more illegal street riding experience before I was 16 than many members here have in total LOL! I even did a little dirt bike racing as a teen and eventually worked my way up to riding dual sports. I did this for several years until I bought my first street bike, a Red and White Yamaha FZR-600. This is when I went through my early squid years of riding. I was young and stupid and often rode wrecklessly but at least I was always wearing gear. That was 21 years ago. Since then I've had my share of wrecks, gotten plenty of tickets, and learned from my stupid mistakes of the past to become the rider I am now. I have ridden everything from Harleys to full blown Supersports under every immaginable condition and have never felt uncomfortable jumping on any new bike. Ever since my first wreck I've learned to play little stupid games on the road to improve my skills, balance, and mindset. I'm not trying to sound arrogant and act like there is never room for improvement but I don't want to take the time and money to take a course that I will find elementary. I've watched various riding and control demonstrations at bike shows and for the most part was not very impressed. Now here is a re-post of a riding demonstration that I am impressed with LOL!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/_1Vsnw1u5g4[/video]

Rollin

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  11. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    Well I completed the course today. First let me say that 5 hours on asphalt on an idling vfr 800 is cruel and unusual punnishment for something I must have done in the past. It was 93 degrees today, Jacket, gloves, helmet putting aroudn the parking lot. The bike was ranging 225 to 230 degrees all day.

Anyway all crying aside...

To be completely honest I think it was pretty boring. Meeting new people was fun, but the class...

We went over some basics from the book before we started hands on. We did some obstical work (ran over a 2x4) where they explained how to accelerate to lighten the front before you come in contact with it.

Did some very slow manuvering figure 8's, S turns and U turns.

We did an exercise where we did a pause and go, then rode about 20yds as slow as possible in the "friction zone" (as slow a possible without falling).

We practiced some slightly higher speed turns and discussed turning our heads adn looking through the turn with your head up.

There were exercises on quick stops going straight, quick stops in a turn, swerving manuvers, and some countersteering exercises.

It wasn't a bad course, only one guy dropped his bike on the low speed manuvering (no damage), and met some pretty cool people.

Unless you need to take this course for some reason, or are looking for an insurance break or are just bored my honest opinion is that you're not missing out on any groundbreaking training with this course.