Fifth Generation 1998-2001 (is it true?)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Dainius_M, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    Can anyone to help me? I need that you take photo of inner fairing from this direction?
    [​IMG]

2. peterthelate

peterthelate New Member

greetings from houston...am having a proble with bike overheating...put sliders on bike and had to decrease overflow capacity by half...end up adding antifreeze once a week...while sitting in traffic temp hits 250 in 7 to 10 mins at idle...anyone else having overheating problems?

3. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    You replaced the overflow bottle? Is this the 5th gen?

4. peterthelate

peterthelate New Member

greetings...yes, 1999...put frame sliders on and had to switch out original bottle with bottle that came with slider kit...wanted the protection for track day...but bottle is 1/2 the size of the original...at stop lights, the temp goes up to 250 in a heart beat, and I refill the bottle at least once a week....

5. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I'd check and make sure you got all the air out first, it sounds like there may still be some trapped air pockets. But I ran in to this overheating problem also, only when I was riding very hard though like at the track. I modified the original coolant bottle to fit around the sliders. Cut a hole in the bottle, use a piece of PVC to go through it and seal it up with plastic weld or silicon, I used both. It's worked fine for years now and I have the original coolant capacity back.
    [​IMG]

6. peterthelate

peterthelate New Member

greetings...that is slick...I faxed the picture to my mechanic...that is one thing I am not...a mechanic...thanks for the help...are there any used bottles out there or would I have to buy new?

7. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    You can check eBay but new from Honda they are only about $30.

8. peterthelate

peterthelate New Member

thank you....

9. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    Pete

There is a coolant bottle for $15 int he classifeds at vfrd.com

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You can buy a modified coolant bottle from R&G that allows the original volume but is shaped to be used with sliders that mount to the top, front engine mount. If your slider mounts to the rear, top engine mount, then you'll have to cob something together..

11. peterthelate

peterthelate New Member

thanks all...will check out R&G and have left message on vfrd...thanks again for your help....

12. peterthelate

peterthelate New Member

greetings...in my problems...it is one of two things...the thermostat not opening, or the water pump not circulating water...my vfr over heats when a stop lights...goes to 250 degrees in a heart beat...will cool down some when traveling at speed, but stil in the 200 degree area...as for your difficulty, beats me...truth is I am no mechanic....

13. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    Hello there: YouTube - Honda VFR 800, 2001
    I show you how in the displey not rising temperature... I turn on motorcycle, turn on hairdryer, heated open air sensor, but in the display temeprature not rising, I turn of motorcycle, and turn ignition again, there we can see that temperature displaying higher, and it falling down ... I'm changed open air sensor with new one, but problem is the same. What You suggest to do?
    Is this normal?

14. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map

You don't have anything to worry about here. It's just condensation from inside the exhaust pipe being heated by exhaust gases. As you say, it stops after a short while. With cold temps, all vehicles do it.

In my opinion the higher temp when you turn the ignition on again is just that the sensor is picking up residual heat from the engine.

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hi Danius - typical nomal behavior on the air temp sensor is that while your running down the road, it will show the correct temperature. Now when you get to a walking speed or stop, the temp will creap up, because it is buried in where the radiator is and also gets some heat from the headers. It is correct then? No, because it heating up with the rads/headers. So when you roll down the road again, the temp will drop down to the correct ambient temperature because now you have airflow over it.

So, on your bike, if you are riding down the road and the temperature seems to be near right, that is all you need to be concerned about. I think your bike is most likely to be fine. (Mostly on my bike, I leave it on water temperature anyway.)

Hope this helps,

MD

16. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    You can see in video that temperature not rising when I heat with hairdryer. I want that you heat up the air temperature sensor and check are your sensor in dispalay rising? I have to ride may moto to make it show higher?

17. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Air Temperature Sensor - I removed my fairings and cleaned the sensor tip (looks like a small black LED) and made sure the tip was exposed from it's mounting bracket. My sensor has accidentally slipped inside it's bracket from when I performed maintenance on my bike. Also, for the air temperature sensor to indicate a true temperature, the bike must be traveling at 40 km/hr. Otherwise the heat from the engine creates false readings.

18. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    You don't understand what I'm saying... May sensor oem new. I'm heating it with haydryer, and it must display how rising temperature, but in may display it not rising, Can you see video?

19. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Sorry, I missed that you installed a NEW sensor. That's very strange how it resets when turned on/off. Have you tried disconnecting the battery so that the clock memory resets and everything? Something to do with that perhaps? Dirty connections or corroded wires? Have you checked the panel behind the gauge for corrosion? Otherwise I do not know.

20. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery so that the clock memory resets and everything? Done
    Dirty connections or corroded wires? Everything like new
    Have you checked the panel behind the gauge for corrosion? Looks like new
    so?