Fellow rider etiquette

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by V4toTour, Oct 4, 2014.

1. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on the level of D-bagness I witnessed today.

Went for a ride on my favorite hwy in the state. Approaching a nice twisty section I was fast closing in on a fellow on some sort of sport/adventure bike with full hard case luggage. After the first few corners it was readily apparent that he was slower in the twisties. Expecting a wave by I got the complete opposite. Instead this guy decides to gun it down the straights, pretty much any safe area for me to pass. His speed increased well over what he was doing before I reached him. But again I get stuck behind him in the corners. He then starts swinging wide into the oncoming lane to try and make the apex with some speed. Did this a few times. Finally was able to get around him.

I mean WTF. 99.9% of the time folks on bikes will wave the faster rider on. Even harley d00ds aren't this self righteous.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yep, definitely a D-bag! Anytime someone is behind you going faster or who is eager to get by you, let them by. I even apply this to cars, such as in the rain, where I'll take it slow, I'll let them by knowing it's safer for them not to be behind me!

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Must be a pacific northwest thing. I'm used to seeing this behavior from car drivers out here. Someone running 5-10 under on a rural road will gun it to 80 when the highway opens up with a passing lane. Just kind of surprising seeing it from a motorcyclist.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Maybe this guy was just 2 mph away from pissing his pants and was trying to push his limits, not looking in his mirrors. I've never been to the track, but I suspect that those riders focus on what's ahead and let followers fend for themselves and pass if they can. Did you try the horn and flashing of your highbeams, maybe seek his attention a bit? But yah, I can see that being frustrating.

You should see what it feels like being stuck bhind some slow sumbich driving a big truck which has not a lot of get up and go for passing, but when you come to the passing lanes, that same sumbich speeds up and you cannot pass.

Basterds,,,,they are all basterds.

5. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

He may just be a newbie that doesn't know someone's behind him...or he thinks he's trying to accommodate you by speeding up, since he's obviously slowing you down...
    Most of the time, I'm inclined to give strangers the benefit of the doubt, as most strangers tend not to try to screw with strangers they don't know that, although on a bike, could be armed and left handed... :drunk:

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I would agree with Dayreamer on this & give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He could have been intimidated by your presence. Or wasn't comfortable having a real rider behind him. This could be inexperience or he is on a bike thats beyond his riding level. In any event good judgement went right out the window. Obviously this is no fault of yours. Once he started running wide I would have backed way off. If he went down & blocked your lane or path of travel then what? It sucks but when we encounter a rider like this sometimes for own safety its best to find another way.

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    He definitely saw me, I could see his face in his mirrors. And like I said, he didn't pick up the pace until I got behind him.

this guy wasn't a "newbie" either, seemed to be somewhat older. Lines in the corners and turns ins were smooth. Modular helmet, full alu-box setup. looked like one of the adv rider guys. he was just limited cornering clearance wise because of the pod containers he had hanging off the side of his bike.

8. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Such a d***k! And I thought only cagers are like that. I'm so naive!

9. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I've been trapped behind some Harley riders doing that, but never another regular bike.

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Just to clarify, he wasn't "slow" to begin with. just slower. We were both running well over the uhh.. yeah. And I had no questions about his riding ability, dude seemed to be pushing his setup to the limit. Didn't see any mid corner adjustments, random brake light flashes that would lead me to suspect a new rider.

11. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Then he was a D-Bag!

12. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Speed bump!.......kidding.......a little:topsy_turvy:

13. ictghost

ictghost New Member

Plus One on this!

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Red.......one word.... Ego....his monster took charge.....the dirt bag should of let you by......I would of thought he was on a Hardley.......yep...Ego

15. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

May be he was trying to impress or intimidate you by his riding prowess. With the "I'll show this guy" attitude. Or he was a big dick!

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    My thinking is this guy was an idiot and he was setting you up to start getting pissed and that usually happens with inexperienced riders, that will do stupid moves, so it's good that you kept a cool head and did it when it was safe. It would have been great to pull over when he did and get his input on the way he was treating faster traffic behind him

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^ yep, doode was an idiot. Duccman, like your avatar. With experience you will deal with these human road blocks. Just be patient and safe. :thumbsup:

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    btw, love passing hd doodes at double their speed.

19. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    well they top out at 40 so thats not hard to do lol

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yep ur ee there's ass hats abound out there...it's a shame that even with the brotherhood of motocyclist.......men and there egos. ...can't we all just get along. ... Cough cough