Faceshield fogging up

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Maliboost, Sep 5, 2008.

1. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I hold my breath while riding due to the stupid people all around me.
    When alone, I do breathe.
    +1 on the breath guard and venting. The guard keeps the hot air directed away from the shield and the venting moves it out of the helmet.
    I flip up my visor at stop lights to air things out even more. I have ridden in sub freezing temps and freezing and thawing your eyeballs is only mildly harmful.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    it called a breath deflector (at least I think that's the official shoei name for it) and everyone here with the rf1000 has that also and they still have the fog. mine only fogs up when I'm putting around in town so I just lift it up then when I hit the hwy I drop it back down again and it's pretty decent. A lot of times I'll wear a facemask on colder morns, though and it helps slow the breath down before it hits the shield and fogs up...

3. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Bought a product today that helped my visor fogging issue. It's called the Respro Foggy, and it attaches directly to your helmet, more like a snug nose guard (or breath guard as Shoei calls them). It was $25 at CycleGear and so far works like a charm. The instructions said it would take a few minutes, I cussed and swore and it took ten. And as a bonus, I now look like one of those fighter pilots with their helmet masks...

FOGGY
    [​IMG]

FIGHTER PILOT
    [​IMG]

I also wear glasses, it was too cloudy today for the prescrip-sunglasses so wore the regular ones with the tinted visor. Temps started off at 48. Not the coldest, but ran about 10 miles without it, visor fogged. had to crack it open. Stopped for breakfast, attached Foggy and the rest of the day was problem free. Does make a tight fit with glasses, but the Foggy is adjustable, you just attach it further down the velcro. My concern was I had a mild cold on Friday so still had sinus issues, the Foggy has a clamp on the nose-bridge section which kinda restricted breathing through my nose. Not too big of a concern, just something to let you know about.

4. DashCrasher

DashCrasher New Member

for those that tried or want to try the dish soap or shampoo meathod, the key is the mixture you use. I mix several drops of shampoo with a tablespoon of water. I use it on my own visor (riding in 5C/40F ) as well as on my kids hockey visors. When I get the right mixture, I only have to redo it 2 or 3 times a season.

5. '97VFR750

'97VFR750 New Member

If you do not want to do anything, but maybe spend 5 cents and get rid of all of your fog problems is simple. My dad has been riding for years and when he's not flying two up, he just keep a cut short large straw in his mouth, and he just breathes through that! It's starting to get cold now and my shield does the same, so now i pop my mini straw in my mouth (get a bendableone) and be on my way, no fog at all! Ah i love this website, everyone is so helpful and genuine!!

Vince

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Kuddos for the inginuety, but I would not want to crash with that in my mouth. Maybe rubber surgical hose of some sort?

7. oss

oss New Member

fogging doesn't matter i ride with my eyes closed anyway

8. DAN-SLO

DAN-SLO New Member

This is solution to fog problem,Shark RSR,comes with two breath deflector,thicker anti fog visor from formula 1(3mm),no fogigng if five years:smile:

Attached Files:

9. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I find that my helmet, when worn backwards, does not fog.

10. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

I would say if you have a helmet that supports a pinlock setup, that's the way to go (Shoei, HJC, others). My experience with a Scorpion is that the anti-fog lens is crap. I tried both the Fog City, and the Pro-Grip anti-fog inserts you stick onto the inside of your visor and both work quite well, but I prefer the Fog City- the adhesive on the Pro-Grip sucks and the corners keep coming unstuck after a couple hours and you have to push them back down, the fog city works perfect and was easier to install. Also, don't waste any extra cash on the photo-chromatic inserts, they don't change enough to be any kind of selling feature, and since they are double the cost of the regular anti-fog inserts they are pointless in my experience.

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have that Shark and the winter deflector is great. But it is not the end all for my climate here. I still have to work at it. Again, there are many remedies out there. I use dishwashing liquid on the inside. I have gotten used to the minor smudging.

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

Common now Drewl. Think it through. It still fogs up. You just can't see it cause it is dark in there. Turn on the lites! This also helps when your eyes are closed too.

13. CdnVffer

CdnVffer New Member

Hey guys up here in Canada we ride as much in the cold weather as we can before the bikes get put away, here's something that works pretty damn good for me and there is no smudging to deal with either! I use a combo of 2 things.

1 Camera lens cleaner for the inside
    2 Eyeglass cleaner for the outside

I own an Arai Vector model helmet everytime I have to clean the outside I carry a little spray bottle with me. For every 3rd cleaning of the outside I clean the inside of my shield but I do that inside at room temperature or at least in warm weather! I find this has worked with using my vents that are on the shield at the top and the lower vent for my breathing so I don't have to crack open my shield. With all this done the fogging of my shield does happen a little but with every intake of my breath the shield clears as quick as it fogs up and even faster!

You can buy the cleaners at any Camera Store and Eyeglass Optical store! One more thing if you store your bike and your not using your helmet for awhile, give the inside of the shield a cleaning before you put it away! Then close the shield for storing it helps believe me it's worked for me!

Good luck all, remember shiny side up!

CdnVffer

14. chris2ruff

chris2ruff New Member

Solution!!!!!!

Gotta simple solution to clear up fogged face shields!! Put a little shaving cream on the inside and outside and cover the entire shield with a cloth until worked in!!! Old trick I use for mirrors in the bathroom to keep from steaming up from the shower!!!:thumbsup: Ur welcome!!!!

15. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    they make a piece that velcos in side the helmet it directs ure breath down it eorks preetty well too

16. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been riding in the rain alot lately so I use rain-x on the outside and (as someone else stated) anti-fog on the inside. Both are made by the same company. I use to use Pledge on the inside. Trick I learned from my pops for dirt bike goggles. Works pretty good, but had to re-apply every race. Anti-fog lasts at least a month while riding every day. However, Rain-X on the outside only lasts about 6 hours worth of rain riding. But then again, I've had the bottle so long its probably expired.

17. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

+1 for the Foggy. Cheapest simplest damn fix out there. Sure you look like a fighter pilot...and sound like one too when you talk but you can sit at a stoplight and not fog at all.

I actually have an HJC helmet and the breath guard they offer has two ports that exhaust directly to the exterior of the helmet which is great. The HJC breath guard costs $10-$15 online.
    [​IMG]

Clear for takeoff (or as my pilot brother's license plate says: CLR4TKF)
    [​IMG]