Extra idle noise...or not? 1994

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by LayinLow, Jul 28, 2021.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Hey all...haven't been on here since my FJR became my primary ride, but I still have the VFR and its kind of my dedicated hoon-mobile now. So recently I noticed something odd with the radiator. Basically I opened the radiator cap one day (cold) and saw that the radiator fluid was at about 3/4 full. This was odd because my bike runs great, I do coolant swap every 30/40k, and I have no weeping from my (3rd..lol) water pump. Turns out most of the extra seemed to be in the overflow bottle. I'm figuring that the engine was running nice and hot the last time I rode it (Atlanta summer weather), it overflowed some into the bottle but since the cap rubber is starting to shred a bit in the seal area (75k miles on bike), the suction wasn't quite enough to pull the overflow back into the rad as it cooled down. Do this times a few rides and you've got a under filled radiator. So I'm ordering a cap, which brings me to my real issue. I feel like my bike at idle is a little "knockier" than in the old days when it had less miles. I don't know if this is real, or if its because the FJR has a massive inline 4....which as we know have a totally smooth, even idle character...which makes the VFR sound chunky by comparison. I'm aware of my clutch basket noise....as well as my starter clutch is original...so theres that, but I feel like when I pull in the clutch...it doesn't make this noise go away. Its very subtle...and its not a "tick" sound like the videos of valves, its a "clocky" or "tocky" sort of sound and it seems to be biased toward the rear (hotter) cylinders. Im paranoid that maybe I overheated the rear bank by having low coolant levels I was unaware of? But heres the rub.....it runs fine.... Accelerates great...sounds great on the throttle....just a leeeetle bit louder at hot idle vs how it used to be 30k miles ago. Freak out, or just ride it till it dies and do normal maintenance as usual?

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    trying a new cap is a good idea.

3. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    You think the noise is normal for a high mileage VFR and I might be being paranoid?

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ^^ what oil have you been using ?

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    My 83,000 mile gen3 bike sounds better than the 33,000 mile gen3 bike I also have. Been using 20-50 changed either yearly or 2000 miles. 83,000 mile bike was bought with 4500 miles, 33,000 mile bike was brought home on a trailer with 15,000 miles. I think you may have to synchronize the carburetors and the noise may be less noticeable. Unbalanced v-four engines sound like they have rod knocks.

6. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Same as with all my bikes…the Actevo stuff from cycle gear/revzilla. I think 10w 40

Doesnt lack power anywhere, or off idle though…i had read that before. Is it possible for it to run great still but be out of sync?

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    When you get the synchronization correct the bike should idle in first gear around your neighborhood where if little harry or sally ran out in front of your ride, you would be able to stop. The "synch" comes into play just a CH off idle, and while the bike is idling. Bike could be all over the place on the manometer and still run good top end and free way riding. Check the sych and then let us know. Remember your dealing with an almost 30 year old system, when was the last time they were sychronized?

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    on a high mile bike in a hot area you might try a 20W-50.

9. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Ummm never since I’ve owned it? Lol. I had my carbs out and in about 3 times when i was trying to dial in my needle shims and jets to the desnorkel with K&N mod a long time ago…so they were visually “bench synced” you could say, then. But not with the real meters…. It looks like a huge pita, so I’ve always avoided it and gotten lucky that the bike runs well.

Will try that out…

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    how do you like your red hawk ?

mine.....

022_22red.JPG.5b1011c78dbd4b7648af7447f686f355.JPG

11. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Hawks big brother..lol 0C025D50-128C-411E-9A31-A6E975FC4B42.jpeg

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    hawk's little brother, VTR250, what i'm riding this summer.

1011350737_aug12020016.JPG.5a2fe5db993bcdb6cc4fdb50c0257002.JPG

ridervfr and LayinLow like this.
  13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You always bench "synch" the carbs when they are out of the bike, its easy and a prudent thing to do. I do the "peek-ah-boo" with the butterflies and metering hoes. Once you get them back on the bike, (probably need new insulator boots) I can literally do the synch in five minutes, it takes me more time getting the tools out of the drawers, I have these little plenum tube block offs on each of mine, I remove a rubber boot and attach the hoses and use a nurse bottle and am good to go. Warm up the bike and do your settings. Helps if you have a dedicated 90 degree screwdriver. Could go on but won't. Good luck

LayinLow likes this.
  14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ^^ i've explored a new and accurate way to synch carbs that would be familiar to any trumpet or woodwind player..................

LayinLow likes this.
  15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    DO NOT BREATH IN BENZINE FUMES ferw gawds sake, would'nt a nice cold Labatts or two or three be better? :drinkers:

16. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Haha Labatts. Brings back memories of growing up in VT..lol

17. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    There’s definitely upsides to owning multiple bikes. Maintaining multiple bikes though…not such an upside..lol

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I got three street registered bikes you could hop on and go anywhere with. It take time, effort, money, mechanical savy. It is labour believe me, if you don't look after your stuff, you end up breaking down or worse. Ethanol free gas only, and always check tyre pressures before flight. Peace good luck

19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OH YEAH ! :drink1: