External petcock for 86 VFR700

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by snow_photo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. snow_photo

snow_photo New Member

I've just put a new engine in my 86 VFR700. Lo and behold... She runs great... Well she would if she didn't pour gas out of the tank between the tank & petcock.
    I've had issues with this before, but it's gotten really bad. I'm pretty sure it's from previous damage to the tank. When I got it I noticed the previous owner had bondo'd up some areas of the tank. At that stage there was minimal to no leakage. A few years back I was rebuilding the front forks & the bike fell over damaging the petcock side of the tank. Since then it's leaked and gotten worse especially after cranking the petcock bolts down trying the seal it. I've even gotten another petcock from my salvage yard down the road and it leaks as well. I've tried various gaskets but nothing works.
    So my question is... Should I try a gasoline safe rubber gasket compound, or can I seal up the holes & attach some kind of aftermarket petcock? and what would I use that wouldn't corrode from the gasoline.
    Hell can I rig the tank up without a petcock altogether?
    My next option is getting a new tank, but after just spending $300 on a new engine (quite happy with that) I'm kinda low on cash... (oh yeah a friend just dropped/crashed my wife's Sporster causing $2200 damage to the front end) - he said he'd pay but who knows...
    Much obliged for feedback.

2. NormK

NormK New Member

Nitrile is petrol resistant and you can get it in 1/16 inch thickness I think. I usually use 1/8th but it might be a bit thick. Have to google around your area to see if you can find some

3. snow_photo

snow_photo New Member

Thanks for the info. I did a bit of research but am struggling to find out where I can buy nitrile. Can I buy it as a sheet & cut it to fit, or buy it as a compound & make my own gaskets?

4. NormK

NormK New Member

I just googled gasket manufacturers near me and I was able to get a piece big enough to make a few gaskets

5. snow_photo

snow_photo New Member

BALLS.... Got some rubber gasket material & used it between the petcock & tank & it's still leaks. I had cut holes in to match the existing hole pattern...
    Thinking next ill try run it without holes to try seal it off completely...
    Seems I have 2 options. Seal up the petcock & run it without any shutoff or get a new tank...