Engine Rebuild

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Rckslick333, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Rckslick333

Rckslick333 New Member

United States
    My 90 had a floating valve and I'm stuck in a hotel for the next few months away from my family for work so I said hey, might as well rebuild the motor.

Planning on replacing the keepers, springs and all other associated parts because I don't know the real reason why the keepers let go on that valve. I'm tossing up the idea of replacing all keepers at this point but haven't decided yet. I have a degree in automotive, not motorcycles but the concept is still the same, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

The ticking I heard and thought was an exhaust leak from the pair port cover up I did was actually a valve making contact with the piston. I'll post a photo in a little while of the worn carbon buildup on the piston from the repeated contact. I expected things would happen when I bought it with 75k miles on it. I'm going to be re-ringing it, honing cylinders, inspecting shift forks and probably replacing the main bearings depending on the tolerances and how many thousandths of an inch they are out.

I previously rebuilt a f2 motor but this will be my first v4.

My question is, to the people who have done rebuilds on this motor, what issues have you ran into and what should I expect and what parts would you consider mandatory other than the obvious rings, o-rings and gaskets/seals.

I can also post photos of the teardown and rebuild. With the exception of the heads being on because the motor wont fit in my trunk with them installed and I already removed them haha.

Thank you :)

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    can you get the OEM headgaskets ?

3. Rckslick333

Rckslick333 New Member

United States
    Thats where it gets tricky. Revzilla sells them but it will take a couple weeks to probably have them punched out. Partzilla will ship in 2-3 days but are more pricey. I'm in no rush. Done by spring is my goal. I'm going to take my time and make sure I triple check everything while im in there.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    sad ! i wouldn't trust anything but OEM :oops:

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Service Honda has the OE head gaskets. $43 each.

6. DerekinHouston

DerekinHouston New Member

United States
    Just curious, you’re doing this for the enjoyment of doing it, right? I would too but would have a difficult time justifying the cost/time vs a good used engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    these engines are notoriously reliable so i guess the rider over-reved on a downshift maybe or has a broken valve spring. the carbon layer doesn't look (to me) thick enough to cause a valve hit, and why only one ?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020