Electrical Gremlins!

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Terry Smith, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Hi folks, I am new to a 99 VFR800, and trying to solve an electrical fault. I'm hoping one of you has had the same thing so I can get to a quick fix.

The fault is that the right hand turn signals (front and back) are on all the time that the ignition is on. The left hand turn signals work perfectly.

I have checked over the bulbs and wires at the turn signals and they look fine.

If I pull the tail light fuse, the RH turn signals will now work, but the headlight and dash indicator lights (oil pressure) flash in time with the turn signal.

So I am guessing an earth fault, but where???

Any help gratefully accepted with thanks!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I'm happy to say I solved my own problem. There was a relay-type device called a Visi-Bike wired into the front turn signals and drawing power from the loom behind the instruments. It was visibly fried, so I cut it out and re-joined the wires in the standard configuration, and all is now good.:eek:range:

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Its good to hear you tracked down the fault.

I spotted your original message yesterday but held off responding in the hope some of the 5th Gen owners would chip in but I think even they will struggle to predict issues caused by aftermarket add-ons.

Sadly when a previous owner installs aftermarket kit, it may not get mentioned to subsequent owners and you may be blissfully unaware of its presence until it leaves you stranded :(

Take care

SkiMad

4. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    That's part of my reasoning for not buying used. If and when I buy used it must be stock. In my early years I found the headaches of others mods done wrong or half ass. Bone stock is much more simple to trouble shoot .

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Un-molested, or finger-fucked. Unless you get a deal beyond stealing it from previous owner. Depends, if your gona re-sell, its different that if your gona keep it for yourself. Bone Stock is the only way I want a "gixxer or busa" that means original turn signals intact and exhaust system, original tyres would be nice too, as it would show they really never rode it that much. Anyway, Cheers, may be looking at a Bandit 1200 this week.