Electrical charging

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Oculus, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Oculus

Oculus New Member

Is there a problem with the Honda charging system.

On three occasions (including today) I have been riding 30 miles on the highway and all of a sudden I will loose electrical power. Today I was driving at 50 mph and noticed that the speedo and the tach read zero. The bike however was running fine. I stopped to get gas and then it wouldn't start. I tried bump starting it and had a good hill to run down but it would not start. It sat for about 1/2 hour and the tow truck was able to jump the battery and I was able to continue my journey. I replaced the battery and trickle charge it overnight just to make sure it is fully charged. I have bought a new rectifier from Electrosport but the connections are not the same and have not been able to install it.

My mechanic says that the alternator is putting out the correct voltage and power, and does not know what the problem is.

My problem is that I don't want to be stranded int the middle of the night on the highway, and I want to have some confidence in this machine.

Help!!!:confused::confused::confused:

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    IT'S amazing...

Owners who desire assistance should state exactly what year, engine size, and mileage, please.

Does your bike crank over but not start or not crank at all??

Do a search here and you will find tons of info on your problem.

Some newer VFRs have wiring recalls......

Attached Files:

3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Squirrel is right, but I am pretty sure your problem is your Regulator/ Rectifer a.k.a RR is toast brother.

Google regulator/ rectifer on VFRW and all your Q's will be anwered..

You've got the classic symptoms.

BZ