Dreaming of a VFR

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fotodaddy, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Please take plenty of pics once you get your bike. I'm very curious to know are there good places to ride in Nigeria?

Regards,
    Rollin

2. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Great places bro. And I will start with my VFR to show you some of them. I actually intend to do more riding with the VFR and take real trip. What I have been doing so far always saw me coming back home the same day.

Can hardly wait to get her.

Am thinking of what to put on her number plate. In Nigeria you can get custom plates for a little over 400 USD and I think she's worth it.

Suggestions are welcome

3. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Yo, yo, yo, Fotodaddy...WELCOME! I was going to say your dreams will come true, it is worth the wait...and then I see you made them happen. The white is very nice and I couln't recommend ABS more. (It is a can of worms 'round here and on other sites...everyone has an STRONG opinion. But I do think it is the only way to go.) Enjoy it! Be safe and welcome to the site!

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Foto-
    Congrats on the new ride. I think the VFR's in white look sharp. I too am curious about riding in Nigeria. Take plenty of pics and let us see what its like.

Action

5. howl

howl New Member

meh...............

6. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Thanks guys!!

Your words are already doing so much to help me endure the wait.

I have ordered a hugger and am considering other otions. Any hints??

7. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

I just cant believe it!!!

Just got am email from the dealer and he told me that although he got my money this morning (international transfers take about 3 day) he sold my bike yesterday on the shop floor!!!!

So now I dont have a bike, and he has my money!!!! Although he asked for instructions on what to do with it and is wiring it back to me. Can you beleive the guy. I must have spent at least 30 minutes talking on the phone arranging all and explaining things to this buy but no!!

So the dream (almost turned a nightmare) is still a dream. I am being philosophical now; it was not meant for me and perhaps I'd have had a terrible crash on her. As we say in Nigeria 'NOTHING SPOIL'

So guys, keep the fire burning with me as I search some more.

8. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    The Thai say: Mai pin rai (it doesn't matter)

Bummer! Seems odd he wouldn't have set it aside for you. But you are correct...the right bike is out there, waiting for you. You just need to find it. Patience my friend...and DO GET THE ABS!!!

9. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Thanks Nungboy for your words. The guy even sent me his official dealers Proforma Invoice which is necessary to make the transfer but I can understand. But.....

Good things come to those who wait.

10. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Truly hard to fathom.:rolleyes:
    This wrinkle will hardly be remembered when you are tooling around on the VFR you are meant to have. You have your current bike in the meantime, right? Go for a ride and focus on the moment.

11. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

Darn. That really is a crappy thing for that dealer to do. What a jerk. Sounds like you did everything right. Hope you get your money back. What a pain. In the last month I picked up a low millage 2004 ABS and love the thing. After testing the abs on a wet rode pretty good I am very impressed with it. I ran it up to 55mph then just hammed on the brakes and it came to a very nice but fast stop. I would never hit the brakes that hard on a non abs on wet pavement. That kind of non skidding braking power could come in very handy in the future. Good luck finding your bike.

12. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Thanks speedpoker, thats the exact reason why i MUST have the ABS model.

I've been on the phone with the dealer and he just sent me a mail that he has sent the funds back along with the transaction number. Its ridiculous. I promised I'd sue him for breach of contract if I find one cent missing on account of bank charges or the like. The bugger gave me a proforma invoice

13. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    And FotoDaddy, if you want to be even more sure, do a search here (and in general on the internet) for ABS opinions. You'll find many other people giving reasons for and against ABS. Of course, I feel that the non-ABS camp has some rather odd reasons for not having ABS.

14. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

I can only imagine their reasons. But after my crash last year on account of locking the front wheel in an emergency with cars all around me, i need no convincing. I know what ABS does in my car and I can only imagine what it does on a bike!! For me its ABS or nothing!!

15. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Do you think the dealer may have had second thoughts about making a foreign transaction to Nigeria? No offense to you or anything but we all know that tons of scams originate from Nigeria where people try to get items shipped after sending bogus or fraudulent funding. Maybe he got spooked away because he got worried and just didn't want to take a chance? It just doesn't seem logical for him to suddenly change his mind.

Regards,
    Rollin

16. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Rolling I think this is exactly what happened. My friend in PA has been talking with hm and his whole behaviour and demeanor appears to have changed. Probably when he got to the bank, they told him stuff and he figured he'd rather loose the sale than risk being caught up in one scam or the other.

His loss.

We have a proverb in Nigeria; If you close your eyes because you dont want to see bad things, you will also miss seeing the good things.

17. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    Hmmmm.....if the dealer had cleared funds in his account (which his bank can advise him off) then theres no reason for him to 'not sell' the bike.

and clearly if he sending the funds back, this is the case.

more likely someone walked in off the street and offered him full price or a better deal, and he took it.

either way a shitty thing to do to you. karma will get him back...:hangme:

good luck in your continued search....

RT

18. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Well, however it goes, I didnt get the bike and the money is on its way back to me. All else is how?, what? if? etc.

19. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

I've been quiet for a while cos I didnt want anyone else to go through the heartache with me!!!

I finally got the money I had sent to the dealer last week wednesday (3 weeks since I first paid). But ahead of that, I decided to ***k it and jst get a brand new one. So thats what I ended up doing. I got a friend in Texas (Houston to be precise) to get me one. He had it ordered and was to pick it up last week Wednesday. But for Ike, everything was put on hold. The Bike is sitting on the showroom floor but on account of the craters/shippers not being able to receive it, we have put off taking it till this Tuesday. A picture of the bike on the dealers floor is here.

I have never been so interested in a hurricane before. I watched it on CNN and have been talking with my friend. He went through 7 horrifying hours in his closet with his family but at the end his house was not even damaged. I hope that the dealer didnt get flooded or something cos that would mean another wait!!! (I can seem to think of anything except my baby; is there something wrong with me??)

So all things being equal, my bike will be at the shippers this week and then its about 2 weeks wait for the next plane to Nigeria. Its costing me about $8/kg for airfreight and I am told that cos the bike needs to be in a very secure crate, I will probably be paying for volume and not weight. So I am looking at close to 400kg.

Julianivfr suggested getting the HID kit, so I have ordered 8 sets for my cars and for the bike. (some as spares also) Even this has been a challenge. I still dont have them. I will be in Europe at the end of the month so I will be buying frame sliders (we call them mushrooms) and some other things on my list. I already ordered a hugger for the rear wheel and a fender extender for the front wheel.

Well thats the story so far. I.ve been dreaming for quite a while. Soon my dream will turn to reality!!!

Thanks to you all for your support

Attached Files:

20. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Sounds like an endeavor in and of itself to get a bike that is largely available to Mainland US.

Are there no markets for motorcycles in Nigeria that allow for localized dealers?

In any event, she's worth it. Ride safe. I'd imagine you've got some nice places to ride in Africa?