Does anyone know the difference between the 02 and 03+ stator?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by notslow, Oct 7, 2010.

1. notslow

notslow New Member

Map
    I asked this question in another thread, but I think it would be better to have a specific thread for others to reference later.

The 2002 VFR800 has a different stator part number than the 2003 and up. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable or what the difference between them is?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Stupid question but why don't you just order the correct one for your bike? I would have assumed they were the same but several parts sites I checked also show different part numbers.

Rollin

3. gll429

gll429 New Member

to rollin_again..
    simply because one my be better than the other.
    you have a 93 750..
    the next time you need a stator what will you buy? a stock honda? a slightly better ricks?
    or a duc 996 stator?? if you said the duc.. you know its MUCH better than the honda.. i dont know if the duc will fit on VFRs after 97..

4. notslow

notslow New Member

Map
    Well, I was considering a Rick's. He says they are the same, so why does Honda show a different part number for the 2002? Even after the upgrade. I just installed an updated Mosfet regulator rectifier. I'd prefer not to kill it by getting the wrong stator.

And though I'm usually pro oem parts, Honda hasn't built a very good reputation for the electrical system on these bikes. Maybe they outsourced the electrical design to a British company :p

5. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I think there was an upgrade on the stator on the 03 and that is why.
    I think the 02 had a recall to change it, but I could be wrong.
    I will ck it out

6. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I replaced my stator last summer and used OEM. The reason being is that I've heard many stories regarding aftermarket stators and unusually early failures where VFR's are concerned. Not that the Hondas stator is going to win electrical component of the year, but at least it's gauranteed, and so is the labor if you have a dealership do it. Saving yourself any multiple parts purchases and installs is always a good thing, and I was able to talk the dealership into a 2 year/20,000 mile gaurantee since mine failed fairly early. Technically there should be no difference between '02-'09, but I would order the part number that corresponds to the year of the bike, knowing that it's very likely the same part anyway.

7. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ...and don't forget to order your bacne and arm zit creams from Jonas.