Do not buy K&N Wrench On oil filters: Busted on me

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by EricTrant, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Never had a problem with K&N oil filters on the VFR. Maybe because I went from OEM to a permanent (Scotts) filter, then on to Rotella T from Semi-synthetic Golden Spectro. Never any problems. Zero!

I worked briefly for a Houston firm (Moss Seal Co) under the founder, George Moss. Since the seal on the K&N oil filters short of breaking off the welded nut seems to be the point of leakage/failure, and from what I recall from working with Orings, plus not knowing where the filters are manufactured there is the possibility that the Oring compositon or size is wrong due to some manufacturers need to shave a few cents off each unit hoping that it will not be noticed.

If K&N refuses to acknowledge the cause of the filter failures, then tough shit. They own it.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I am of the opinion it is more like PTSD. All that's left is the release of the manifesto.

3. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    My 599 is going to need an oil change soon. I am going to try a K+N, again. Havent had one for years. I want to see first hand for myself.

4. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Muh Sniper...noooo!
    On Facebook VFR page, someone just posted about theirs failing and they did not use the nut to put it on.

Although, maybe the K&N will fit on your 599 instead of improperly fitting the VFR. Will it require the 204 or a different filter?

I say if you are going to the trouble to try K&N again, you live dangerously and give it a real test and go on your Viffer. ;)

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    WTH--- see first hand a possible crash-- to each his own I suppose
    SMH
    AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I don't think its the O ring itself. The guy who took photos of the OEM filter and K&N filter with a pair of calipers clearly shows that the diameter of the K&N is not the same as the OEM. I think this makes the O ring pinch as it is of the very outside of the mating surface on the VFR and CBR.

7. Badbilly

United States
    I think we agree that size is important ;) Pre-lube will prevent pinching, over torqueing can lead to all kinds of unwanted results. What I should have made more clears is the composition of the Oring, it's compressability and resistance to various conditions. Been a long time since I worked with Orings but like anything else there are all kinds that fit different applications. It could well be that some dude wearing a beancounter coat figured if the contract manufacturer could save half a centavo/filter by using Orings even at the right size but could get Orings from Little Ajax Oring and Fish Taco Emporium they would do just that.

Same Yoshimura can on my 1991. I put on three skinny silicone Orings on the can under the clamp to attenuate the movement and to keep it from rattling. That was in the 1990s Still holding.

Kind of a PITA and the horse done left the corral but what would be interesting is to have somebody from Parker-Hannefin or National Oring take a look at the Oring out of one of the failed filters.

The 40 footer at NASA is removed prior to each test, cleaned, re lubed with silicone grease and re installed. Kind of like wrangling those pythons y'all keep as pets..;)

8. Badbilly

United States
    Not necessary.. the copyright on "the manifesto" expired. A few quotes from same:

If you win, you need not have to explain...If you lose, you should not be there to explain!”

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

“Do not compare yourself to others. If you do so, you are insulting yourself,
    “if you want to shine like sun first you have to burn like it.”

“And I can fight only for something that I love, love only what I respect, and respect only what I at least know.”

" That ball did not land in that sand trap. It was stolen by a varmint. I say so because I'm the fucking president and you're not."

9. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    15410-MFJ-D01 4 life, yo

10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, you assume you know what languages I speak since you can't build a case other than weak assumption. Another way you show your weakness as cellular matter is by calling people names. Perhaps you need to go chase another ambulance this Easter, if you believe in Easter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I never really gave the O ring itself any thought that it may be, or contributing to the leak problem. Could be that the filter diameter being made to wrong specs and the O ring both being the problem.
    There will always be someone not lubing the O ring and over torquing the filter leading to problems though.

12. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    I used K&N products for many years, all thru the 70's even early 2000's. Then I also began to hear the mishaps and Failing's of the product. I've never had a issue, but as Randy stated, I'm not letting it happen to me. I never used the nut to tighten, only to remove the filter. To many great filters out there to use instead of chancing a mishap. I use Bosh, and Purolator. Rotella t6 or Castrol syn.

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    What about having ICE exporting trolls to Iran- they can troll away but they might end up in a pot of stew.:potstir:

14. Badbilly

United States
    Not me!!! I have a Scott's filter..

WIKI has a good overview on Oring functions and compositions. George Moss ( Moss Oring) was European director of Parker-Hannefin. He lived in Holland. He was a graduate of Sewanee. While in Holland he designed and had built a sailboat. Bailed out of P-H and sailed around the world solo. Ran out of pesos, Sold the boat in Newport Beach,CA and with what was left over bought the National Oring franchise for the State of Texas. My deal was with him was out front I was moving from Houston to Seattle. I learned a bunch from a great guy but told him that basically, Orings as a subject are not great opening lines for picking up chicas at taco stands. ;) His response was classic.. (paraphrased) "Yes, Bill but it will buy me another sailboat."

15. Badbilly

United States
    We can probably be sure the stew isn't Pozole or Menudo.

16. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    How about if l put the K+N on my old John Deere 275 lawn tractor? Lol. I'm sure it will fit.
    If it blows a gasket, literally, No biggie.

17. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't understand aftermarket oil filters unless it for convenience. The spin on canister Honda oil filter fits every Honda I own except the XL185s. I buy them several at a time. I hand tighten them. I have no problems getting them off by hand. I even use Honda red cap oil because that's what the owner's manual calls for. I follow the book and it's all good.

18. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I'll even come test it for you!
    Love yard work and mowing!!
    You can sit back with a drink and watch me ride it until it blows! ;)

19. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    You would have a blast at my place. I mowed my yard (an acre) with the smaller riding mower. Then I mowed the side pasture (an acre) and the ditches with the diesel Kubota. Then I went next door (still on the Kubota) and mowed the drive and the front yard of the house that is owned by a drilling company. It's next to my property and I do this to keep it from looking abandoned, which it is. Then I went down the road and mowed the yard of the, now vacant, mobile home. It's current resident went to rehab and will not be coming back. Oh the joy of country living.

Speaking of blowing a mower, my neighbor came by, several years ago, to ask me to look at his riding mower. It was leaking oil. I pulled back all the oil soaked grass that was around the engine to find the the center gasket was hanging out the side leaving a big gap. It looked like it had been blown out since it was one of those metal sandwich type gaskets. My neighbor loved to use starting fluid. My guess is that he hit the mower with a squirt of starting fluid and it got passed the rings and ignited in the crankcase. He is lucky the gasket popped and that the crankcase didn't explode.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Can you get the dudes here the same employee discount? Ten pesos says that the OEM filters and the oil are farmed out by Honda.

Heres a question... Lets say an OEM oil filter fails for any one of the reasons in the threads. Do you really think Honda is going to own up to that? I figure that it might happen aboot the same time they own up to the R/R and stator failures.