Do I NEED all the gauges?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by LayinLow, Aug 16, 2013.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    I haven't posted in awhile but I REALLY need the VFRworld knowledge right now!

I've gone and made my VFR750 a streetfighter.......:tongue:. I've been thinking about doing it since about a year after I bought it and I finally did. Ive decided on lights and Im currently deciding on digital gauges.

Here is my big question. I made custom front brackets and zip tied everything nice and clean not cutting into any of the factory wiring and/or relay boxes etc..... This way if i ever dont want a streetfighter anymore, Ill just rebuild the bike back. I am planning on using as many of my factory pin locations to wire the new gauges from the two MAIN factory harnesses that were in back of the stock bezel. Does the bike rely on any of these gauges themselves for anything? Such as turning the fans off and on related to the coolant temps etc? Or are the gauges just DISPLAYING info that the bike already has internally. I hope this question makes sense....I REALLY dont want to take my new setup for a spin in the GA heat and have the fans not turn on because my factory bezel is missing!:crazy:

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I believe you can run without them on a 750 but as I haven't done it I can't say for certain. It seems like there have been a couple members on here that removed them, though.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I would say no, it doesn't matter at all. There is no ECU or whatnot in your gauges that the motor needs in order to run properly. I have run a bike ghetto style without gauges before and it did not matter a bit. Put your worries aside hombre...

4. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Yeah thats kind of the impression I'm getting based on my research. I realized that the thermostat switch is likely what turns the fans on/off not my gauge bezel!

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Unplug the cluster cover them well from the element and ride on :vtr2:

6. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    ...................I shall!

7. gullymonster

gullymonster New Member

hey, just a heads up. I'm running a 93-rc36 with no gauges.

You CAN do it, caution of advice is to listen for fan when thermo switch dies, cuz you won't have a temp light and frankly I can't hear my fan over my engine, its a wonder that I caught it when I did, (during season start tune-up)

Second, 93 has no reserve on tank, I imagine its a fuellight on cluster, so be aware of that if you have no reserve keep track of gas in the tank.