Difficult start after starter valves adjustmen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by gips, Oct 21, 2019.

1. gips

gips New Member

Bulgaria
    No, never fixed it. Injectors were tested, but not on a bench there is only one place here in my country that does this and they charge too much, so a simple leak test and spray pattern was done. They are fine and not leaking. I believe it could be ECU related. My bike is year 98 , so its one of the first bikes produced. Maybe they changed the cold start enrichment map at some point, i don't know. I have given up on this, bike runs perfect as soon as i am able to start it. With a bit of throttle cranking during starting it usually starts 2nd time now, so i just use the workaround.......

2. gips

gips New Member

Bulgaria
    ...............YES..... the problem is now fixed. Few years later i solved it. Last winter it started getting cold and i was parking the bike outside after a few days it worsened and starting became harder. After several days of struggling one day it couldn't start and battery got flat. I said ok i need new batter altho this one was not more than 2 years old. Few days later with a new battery i was happy bike was starting like before , but then it got colder and another few days later same thing......hard start. Bike cranking but quite slowly as if this new battery was bad.......then it hit me . It was not the battery , it was the starter. So it was getting cold anyway i stored the bike and bought a starter rebuild kid from the US. Waited a few months until it came here. I rebuild the starter and the old battery ended up also good. Now i have two batteries i was happy bike was starting , but guess what . The new sleeve in the back of the rotor, which was actually the problem with the starter made such a big difference that the starter is now cranking , so fast ....it actually fixed my hard start problem. The whole time the problem was that the engine couldn't pick enough RPM during cranking and it simply stalled . Now it starts first time even in the cold. It barely takes a second until it starts . I have 2 videos, one before and one after the starter rebuild . If you put both videos in 0.25x speed you can clearly hear the cranking difference. Especially after the initial crank after the rebuild the starter gets so fast that the RPM spike is huge and the bike starts and does not even think about stalling.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  3. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    There seems to be no problem with your cranking speed either before or after the starter motor rebuild!

What fuel are you using? Premium high octane fuels can cause hard starting in cold conditions and Ethanol blended fuels don't help either.

4. gips

gips New Member

Bulgaria
    Believe me the difference is huge. The starter needed a lot more power to crank the engine before and in fact , when left outside sometimes it was trying to stick during cranking so bad, that the display cut the power and resets the date and time. I will do another video this time i will remove the power to the injectors ,so that the engine cannot start and you will see the difference clearly. The first half a second they sound pretty similar, but then after the rebuild the starter quickly builds rpm and before it couldn't do that. I was shocked by the difference, when i started the engine after the rebuild. After all i cranked it 3hrs earlier to move it to the garage and then started it again to move it out. A can tell you this is not the same starter........