Deltran Voltage Indicator

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Maggot, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_1491.jpg IMG_1484.jpg

I just picked up what I think will be a "Must Have" for VFR owners. Deltran has come out with a Voltage Indicator that fits into the SAE Pigtail that we use to charge and maintain our batteries.

It has an LCD Display and L.E.D. lights. LCD Display is accurate to +/- 0.1 volt and will register 3 to 16 volts

Green L.E.D. shows battery charged > than 12 volts
    Yellow L.E.D. shows battery is low 11.6 to 12.0 volts
    Red L.E.D. shows battery is discharged less than 11.6 volts. Red flashes when voltage is low!

The displays activate when it is initially plugged in or when the button is pushed. The displays stay lit for about 20 seconds.

I just plugged it in to my bike but I didn't start it. It showed 13.1 volts. Right where it should be. I don't know if this is just a "Snapshot" of when it is activated by the button or if the display shows changes while it is lit. I will have to check it out when I have more time to play with it.

The good news is it has a reasonable list price of $16.95. I got mine for $14.00 because the local bike shop was giving a 20% off special coupon for parts and accessories, plus he didn't have any change.

This will fit in a pocket or tank bag and is about 3" long, about 1" wide and 5/8" thick.

I am thinking of fabricating an extension wire to run from my charging pigtail near the battery, under the gas tank and to the dash area to maybe Velcro it on the fairing some where. That way I can unplug the charger, plug in the extension and just push the button while riding to get a reading.

This thing is pretty cool and cheap enough to not be without one on the road, especially with our rate of R/R and wiring failures.

Maggot

2. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Deltran website has it for $14.95. http://batterytender.com.

So it looks like $16.95 is NOT List price!

Gotta love the bike shops!

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Sound like a plan, removeable :thumb: